Pensacola area riders

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by XT Thumper, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Madhouse

Madhouse Semi-Goodlookin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok DR experts.
    Did yawwl forget about the upper chain roller that if not removed could cause frame crack hole where the roller bolt was welded on.

Happened to mine and left a hole in the frame that I had to fill with silicone

These things are beginning to sound more problematic than KTM.:lol3
  2. GSF1200S

GSF1200S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm no expert fwiw. Good catch on the upper chain roller. I removed it and covered the hole with silicone.

I suppose they are. Better hope you don't get one that blows third gear :eek:hno

:lol3

At least most of these things can be resolved in a few days. I will say a DR must be farkled extensively to be tough and reliable.
  3. r_bin

r_bin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Folks that worry about mechanicals on a DR650 should never own a Ducati. Or motorcycles in general.
  4. skid=mark

skid=mark Likes it Slidewayz

Oddometer:
    Ooooooh! I have both!! What me worry??? :lol3

<Quote Madhouse>: Also the upper chain roller that if not removed could cause frame crack hole where the roller bolt was welded on. Gone

All good stuff ^. I performed most all of those, and found them and many more mods scattered all throughout the DR650 thread of the "Thumpers" section right here on ADV... Some amazing advice and builds in there!! :clap
    -Jim
  5. r_bin

r_bin Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man it is great reading this forum and learning about the peculiarities of all the different bikes...I am going to be so smart by the time I die!
  7. Bobby Ginger

Bobby Ginger Cat Herder

Oddometer:

I picked up one this summer, so I can get my Dad into dual sporting. I have enjoyed it so far. I need to adress the suspension, but I have it mostly set up for what I want to do. It will not be a substitute for your 500 in the nasty stuff, but it does dirt OK, and is not bad on the road.
  8. Vico1

Vico1 The Maestro

Oddometer:
    Not looking for a substitute for the Hunny.

Hope you can make it to the Turkey Trot in November. Your 450 would like our Military Ride or the long Blackwater Ride.
  9. sperz1

sperz1 Lame Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This forecast can suck it.

We're meeting at Hutton @ 0830 tomorrow for a quick ride before then madness
  10. GSF1200S

GSF1200S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmm... types of bikes? Slow or fast?
  11. Bobby Ginger

Bobby Ginger Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    Looking foward to it. I will have to bag early on Sunday, but I am excited to ride a new area and meet some more FL FF's.
  12. skid=mark

Oddometer:
    I have done a few more tweaks on the Hussie forks, so a test ride is in order. I am thinking Brox, or ATV Trail/substation early, depending on weather... :1drink
  13. artimus_maximus

artimus_maximus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have some tips or tricks to replace rear wheel bearings on a KTM? Besides what is on you tube...
  14. sperz1

sperz1 Lame Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:

Intro ride for my bro. Gonna be a laid back fun day.
  15. rotorhead511

rotorhead511 Live and let live.

Oddometer:
    To get them out I lay the wheel on a five gallon bucket. With an old 12" 3/8 drive extension and hammer I start tapping on the inside of the bottom bearing. (You could booger the extension if the bearing is seized) I've had some that were really seized, I just swung the hammer harder. Didn't damage anything but the extension and old bearing. Flip the wheel and do the other side.

To get them in, grease the hub and outside of the bearing. Tap them in evenly with a rubber mallet and a brass press if you have it or a large socket that covers the entire bearing. Something softer then the bearing is the best so you don't damage the bearing.

Of course you could take it to a shop and open your wallet.

If you need more help let me know.

16. Madhouse

Madhouse Semi-Goodlookin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    That method has worked for me too.

But once for a buddy with a XR650l, we couldn't snag the bearing as usual with the dowel. Slid right off and couldn't get it to grab.

I tack welded (SMALL tack) a long piece of allthread rod inserted in the bearing and tapped the protruding rod from the other side gently with a hammer to move the bearing out of the hub.
  17. artimus_maximus

artimus_maximus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Done.. No more axle play. Wasn't to bad, had to beat on them a bit but I assume they where the stock ones.
  18. waysherr

waysherr Behind Bars For Life

Oddometer:
    The Penny Patch at Michigan & Sun Valley has 91 octane ethanol-free:D:D
  19. Hatch

Hatch Perpetually lost

Oddometer:
    the pure stations do too :thumb
  20. skid=mark

Oddometer:
    You can get a list of all the currently reported locations offering ethanol-free gas at http://pure-gas.org. It is not 100% accurate; at least one that is listed is closed and 'Penny Patch' was not on the list so that is good to know!!:clap