R1200 GS Fuel Gauge Problem

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Conrad, Aug 3, 2008.

1. cjack

cjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The measured range of resistance dry for a new strip off the shelf is 2200 to 2800 ohms. That is measured between the two center pins, pin 2 and 3. The outside pins, pin 1 and 4 are the heater in the strip. A good heater should read 30 to 40 ohms. I don't know if leaving the heater open circuited will throw a fault.
  2. Flash1034

Flash1034 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was riding my 08 to the dealer in Long Beach for my Fuel Pump Recall (which I didnt have any problems with) and on the way up there my fuel gauge went from 1/2 a tank to 0. So, new fuel strip for me it appears. Bike has been flawless and has 13k on it.

Flash
  3. JAS

JAS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got my '09 last week !! (Production date Sept 2009)

Fuel gauge still as useless as ever -- BMW still have not sorted this one out it seems
  4. Hardrocker

Hardrocker Keep ur feet on the pegs

Oddometer:
    What is the function of the heater?
  5. cjack

cjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The fuel sensor is a thermistor from top to bottom in the tank, and the heater heats it but the gas cools it. So the resultant resistance is a function of the level of the gas.
  6. NBeener

NBeener Long timer

Oddometer:
    In general, I've found that very little on the dashboard is of ANY use to me.

Some things that appear there create cause for false panic.

Much better to just watch the road, the cagers, and the scenery.....
  7. JStancampiano

JStancampiano PhotoJoe

Oddometer:
    Does anybody know what the resistance readings of the fuel strip are from full to empty...Thinking of making a float system in that range (you know, old fashioned float and variable resistor)

Joe
  8. cjack

cjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The dry resistance is about 2500 ohms plus or minus I think 300 or so. I have found that the ones at 2500 ohms new have lasted longer for me and worked more linearly. You might have to provide the heater resistance to the computer as well. It's 30 to 40 ohms. I thought that it was a thermistor element, so the resistance would go down as the tank went empty. That would be consistent with the float type gas sensors.
  9. engjacques

engjacques engjacques

Oddometer:
    My fuel sensor was totally knackered on my 09gs new pickup last august. The dealer - Ozzies in Chico, CA - said they couls fix it next day ( it was closing time) or when ever it would suit me - got it done on the 600 mile service with no problems since. Ozzies always keep the sensers in as they malfuction on all boxer models -maybe other models too - and was told when left standing with fuel that is a common way they fail.

Anybody looking for a good honest dealer who will look after you after you got the bike can do a lot worse than Ozzies in Chico. I wish I got the same service from Yamaha and Nissan.:freaky
  10. cjack

cjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They fail. Period. Sooner or later no matter what history...no standing in fuel, etc. I've had four on an '08 K12S. My wife two on an '08 K12S, two on an '06 K12S.
    So far...
  11. Commanderkewl

Commanderkewl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    THis weekend was the first time I have taken the 07GS for a - what I would call a long trip.
    First thing I noticed is the gas gauge..yeh me too.
    It was full- then went to half in a breath...I was about a 100 miles into the tank..
    Got closer to empty and I filled up - 2.7 gallons..
    Soooooo I went on the odometer reading-
    head winds- 75+ MPH.. and filled up every 150 miles... If i hadn't, my bet would have been out in west texas pushing that beast..
    Ya mean I cannot trust a simple- gas gauge?

Yeh it was a good ride, Yeh it is a eater of miles.
    No.. Iam always looking at the miles now..

rant off..

love the bike, hate that I should get more from it..
    warranty- out this month..
    dammitalltahell
  12. cjack

cjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been buying BMW since 1971 and in the last 5 years they've really had some serious qc issues.
  13. fawudd

fawudd Traveler

Oddometer:
    It is amazing that BMW builds bikes that go around the world, but a fuel guage has this much of an issue. Having owned many bikes with no fuel guage, I always rely on the tripmeter and try to leave myself some margin. However, I have had other bikes that had a gas guage that was accurate and reliable. This seems like a pretty proven area of technology, and an inexpensive area, the kind of thing that should just work, period. It is also pretty important given the tendency of these machines to go off the beaten path.....
  14. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Fuel gauge on my 07 Adv has been for amusement purposes only. Turns out mine has the float style, not the strip. Been replaced, and it's still a joke.
  15. viz

viz I Ride Ms Piggy

Oddometer:
    Looks like they have not fixed this problem in the 2010 model - mine *makes* fuel. Got very sussed about it when the fuel gauge did not come down - it even added a bar or so I thought.

Had a bit of a fang 1 afternoon, hard acceleration through the gears and wow fuel gauge went all the way down and flashing lights everywhere - hey did not use *that* much fuel did I???? Went from 200+ mile range to less than 50 in a few seconds...

Dunno why the acceleration cleared it, but it did. Might make some enquiries...

viz
  16. txrider2

txrider2 Hug the road

Oddometer:
    We can go to the moon and get back safe and sound... But BMW can not figure out a working fuel quantity system? Sorry, but (so far) this is the only flaw on my 2009 R12GS-Adv. Love the bike to death!
  17. Juvat

Juvat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Somebody needs to make some kind of sight gauge that is dead simple to install. If we wait on a gigantic company like BMW to do it, it could take a decade. :gerg

Kinda like this but a bit more elegant or at least cooler looking and bullet proof.:deal
    [​IMG]
  18. Mr. Magoo

Mr. Magoo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Myfuelgaugesucks.Ihateyellowtriangles.fuckshitpissandmoan.
  19. Papz_65

Papz_65 BXR

Oddometer:
    Anyone tried to get a extended warranty for the fuel strip?

Since BMW obviously knows about the problem ,but cant fix it other than replacing the strip to a another one which probably will fail.:baldy I think they should extend the warranty until they have a god fix.

My fuel strip will be replaced for the first time next week.
    I will be back with the result.

See you
    /Janne
  20. evilmedic13

evilmedic13 Sarcastic & Fantastic

Oddometer:
    :clap :beer :super
    You'll love it like the rest of us. No problems on mine since I bought it, well one problem on mine.
    It only occurs when the wife is pillion, a high pitched whine from the back seat emanates whenever it gets fun. My quick fix is to tell it to shut up or walk, usually solves it. Well, just makes it go away until we get home, then it's a blown turbine supercharger kinda sound:lol2