950 SE Regulator/Rectifier SOLUTION

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Colorado Uli, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Colorado Uli

Colorado Uli Must I?

Oddometer:
    FINALLY! We have a non-OEM solution for the old reg/rec issue regarding heat-caused failures.

Rick's Motorsports Electronics have built us a SE specific mosfet-based unit that does away with the sensitive (and high heat generating) diodes.

I gave them the specs and they went right to work building what I believe is a great solution. (I've gone through two OEM units already) A few days ago I received it in the mail and bolted it onto the old beast. Installation was super simple as everything matched right up to the existing mounting point.

Rick though it better to change the connection configuration a bit: Now, instead of using the white OEM connector to plug the reg/rec into the positive side of things, Rick's unit wires directly to the positive battery terminal -- 30 amp fuse is already wired into this changed configuration.
    So, it comes with the standard brown KTM plug for direct connection to the stator (them there three yellow wires), a battery terminal connector to negative, and one battery connector to positive (again, this one has the fuse built in).

What do you do with the now-unused white positive connector (two red/white wires going into it)? I just covered the openings with electrical tape and tucked it out of the way.

After yesterday's five hour trial run I can report that it's working great. :clap

Where: http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/index.php
    Part number:10-014H
    Cost: $150 (vs. about $135 for the OEM unit)

NOTE: I have zero personal or business affiliations with this vendor (other than I gave him the specs and he built and sold me one) and have no financial stakes in his company. I'm only providing the above because it's about time someone made an alternative available to us.

UPDATE: Well, it's now January of 2016 and I have a perfectly working regulator/rectifier. Someone recently contracted me to ask how the unit lasted, so I thought it'd be a good idea to share.
    In good fashion I've NOT babied my 950SE. It's been beat up well with lots of hot days in the desert, plenty of very deep water crossings, sand, mud (oh there was lots of mud), good vibrations and impacts caused by high speed on rock action, and dust dust dust. How many miles? Dunno, didn't write it down when I changed it. But many many weekend trips and a couple of long (over one week long) dirt rides. Very little on road riding, almost exclusively ridden off road.
  2. Ramv

Ramv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very cool!

I am hoping my single de-cat can is enough to help with the temp, but if not, this seems like the perfect upgrade. I monitor mine using an Advmonster voltage guage, so I can keep track.
  3. bikyto

bikyto Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer:
    I have had one for over a month now and it works great. Plug and play installation.
    My voltage went from 14.1 to 14.7v at idle after the swap.

Good guy, good company. :clap
  4. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ricks is an awesome business, they cured a few hi output Electrosport KTM stator/regulator issues that Electrosport couldn't/wouldn't fix. A+++ vendor.
  5. Colorado Uli

Colorado Uli Must I?

Oddometer:
    You got one from them for a SE or Adventure? But then again, they are probably the same except for wire lengths.
  6. veetwo _tls

veetwo _tls RENOVATIO:

Oddometer:
    Whats the difference in RICK's SE & ADV reg rect ?
    is it just wire lengths ? if so then ADSV be better to get it located further up front ?

7. nattyMo

nattyMo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Works great on the 950sm and smr as well. I've been running a Ricks VR since last year on my SMR. Replaced two stock VR's, wasn't going to try a 3rd. Thanks for having these built. Mounted mine on the LH side of the airbox to keep it away from the exhaust heat.
  8. veetwo _tls

veetwo _tls RENOVATIO:

Oddometer:
  9. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Yep, mine is good so far.
  10. Colorado Uli

Colorado Uli Must I?

Oddometer:
    Just a quick note to let y'all know that my Rick's regulator/rectifier is still running strong in the hot deserts of the southwest after about 15 months.
  11. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    My R/R started playing up at 25,000km.
    I relocated it on the nitrogen tank of the rear suspension, so it can be exposed to cool and clean airflow.
    Stopped playing up.
    Airbox relocation does not tick the box 'cool airflow'.
  12. D K

D K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ricks Vreg on order after bike left me stranded in Mexico.

Great customer service from them!
  13. wilso122

wilso122 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You probably are but keep that battery on trickle charge if you can whilst you wait, last thing you want is that dying in the mean time :evil

Other than that hows the trip so far?
  14. D K

D K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So far so good.

Had 2 massive setbacks, but it's going allright.

I was lucky I was on top of a mountain range and had the luxury of coasting down hill 40kms with the bike deader than a doornail....

Then found a bloke with a truck and now just waiting. I even procured a solar panel to help keep the battery charged, but that's not working so well :rofl

Part should be here by friday hopefully, so will have to see how it goes from there.

D
  15. Colorado Uli

Colorado Uli Must I?

Oddometer:
    Happy to hear Rick's is being cool to you. Sucks it had to happen in a remote place like that. My last OEM unit died in Utah's desert near Lake Powell -- of course I was all alone. Swore to myself I was never going to let that happen to me again.
  16. Afry

Afry Why hike?

Oddometer:
    My Ricks took a crapper in short time. They told me it was the first failure but I now know that was a lie. They did send a replacement but I carry a spare on long trips. Kinda sucks.
  17. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    Maybe better go with SHINDENGEN R/Rs as they use the mosfet technology.
    Cheers.
  18. Pacos

Pacos n00b

Oddometer:
    somebody can tell me where is the stator plug located?.

Already brought the regulator and I didn´t get the stator plug.
  19. Colorado Uli

Colorado Uli Must I?

Oddometer:
    Hola Paco.

Are you asking about the location of the connector between the regulator/rectifier and the stator? This is on a replacement regulator/rectifier from Rick's Motorsports? And it's missing the connector?
    On the 950 Super Enduro the connector is located on the left side of the bike, fastened (with a zip tie, I believe) to the orange frame up high. (sorry, I don't have a picture right now) On mine it's pretty much hidden by the large Safari fuel tank.
    Sorry, but I was't sure I understood your question.
  20. Pacos

Pacos n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Colorafo

I am trying to get the stator plug to conect to my new Ricks Motosport regulator.

It is a 950 adventure 2004 not a SE

I was checking behind the battery tray but I didnt see any brown conector to plug my new regulator

Thanks