KTM 640 Adventure owners, sign in please...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by creeper, Feb 20, 2004.

1. juames

juames Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer:
    Looks nice! Might have to make a cut out on the top of the front for the header pipe.
  2. mgorman

mgorman Crashing since 1964

Oddometer:

I was pulled over by a friend who saw me leaking oil. It was dripping pretty good but the oil level was looking ok so I added enough oil to cover the inspection glass and headed home.

A rock or something had gotten behind my skid plate and punctured the oil filter :huh

My best guess is, a rock got behind the plate and wedged between the plate and filter then the plate took a good enough impact to push the rock through the filter.

So, keeping that thought in mind, make sure no sticks or debris can come from the side and puncture the filter.
  3. juames

Oddometer:
    That is a very valid point. Small rocks get wedge between my stock skid plate and the motor all the time. I've filled the space with foam, but still end up with stuff in there.
  4. Low594

Low594 Adventuring Creep

Oddometer:
    looks like the early style windscreen, just tipped forward, right?! I would love to get one of those for mine!

I would love to get one of the toolbox/storage bashplates, but even the light one looks to be an improvement over the stock and my current TouraTech!
  5. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    All good points about the bash plate, indeed it needs to be cut to much the exhaust headers, I made a moke up and saw that ... :D ... The sides need to change inclination angle and shape to much the covers but I think I will go the other way and build something and then digitise it.
    The box version will come later and I was thinking of both sharing the same central plate and then you would change the sides to either have a ''thin'' plate or a rally one. Have to test the design but you get the idea...
    I have seen stuff under the engine, small rocks etc but never had problem. It is a good point and I will try and protect the oil filter. Rocks should come from the front wheel so it should not be difficult to create a shield for the oil filter so the rocks are deflected elsewhere.

@liferider :rofl
    Indeed my model does not have the glass to check the oil level :D

Low594. It is the old style fairing as you say. I picked it up on ebay. Again, I tried to source a Rally fairing but too difficult. Pete640 had made a couple of copies for JayBo here but I was not able to source them and then Pete is in Australia so again the shipping and my finances back then (not much different now ... :D ) prohibited me from ordering it from Pete. It is the same as the original but it is tipped forward and the fairing itself is higher to cover the NavTower. If you want one I can contact the person who made it and ask. :ear
    I have not been able to source a good bash plate made of Aluminium yet... There is a plastic one but I think that plastic suits small, lighter bikes. I have one on my Berg and it is fine, but the heavy duty Aluminium on the 640A is already heavily dented ... I think it will eat the plastic one for breakfast :huh

As soon as I have something on the bash plate I will put more pics ...
    Below is the history of the Tower ...

https://picasaweb.google.com/101190377515618462592/August182012#

https://picasaweb.google.com/101190377515618462592/August132012#

Here is what I was talking about earlier with the paper preview

[​IMG]

D.
  6. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:
    Browsing the old files I found this, that was supposed to be the latest version of the bash plate.
    Digitizing the bike with a ruler did not help as much as I thought but it gives me an idea where are the things.... :evil

[​IMG]

Here is the very first version of the tower.. :deal

[​IMG]
    endurists likes this.
  7. Johnnyktm

Johnnyktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Amazing... :clap
  8. hillbilly enduro

hillbilly enduro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you don't know this allready, you should be aware, that the aluminium cracking when bend(t)? isn't necessarily the workshops fault. To bend aluminium without cracking, it has to be fairly new, (as in newly manufactured). If it has been stored for a longer period, something happens with it. I don't know the details about it, just that it needs to be "fresh" for bending it...

Excellent work with the bracket, and good looking designing with the bashguard. It looks GREAT :evil
  9. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:
    Indeed , already knew that, the problem is that the workshop did not know how to bend the thing.... Not all aluminium crack, it just needs to be bent in a certain way. It also depends on the series that you are using... It is trickier than stainless steel but then again it is much lighter...
    There is a minimum radius of bend. If you exceed that, aluminium will crack... It also helps to bend across the draw lines of the aluminium if you know what I mean.
    There are many techniques from what I found later, you can heat treat is as you bend it but that depends on which series you are using...
    The best answer to my problem was this one:

Heck... Next time will do better.:D
    Also, I found the hard way that it is better to get one workshop to do the job. In my case someone did the laser cutting and another did the sheet bending. They kept arguing with each other ...

D.
  10. hAjPR

hAjPR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Czech Republic (that's in between Germany&Poland!)
    Guys, I've purchased the tripmaster switch for my '07 model, it works how it is supposed to BUT I have a question.

Does the tripmaster on my model year allow you to switch the Trip 2 mode in to a large digits instead of the speed digits?

I got it for my first roadbook "race", just to try it, keep the budget low but I was wondering if I can make it just more visible.

Thanks!
  11. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Also, IIRC if you use the big-bore Rallye piston the cases need to be replaced (or machined) because the piston bottoms into the cases. Pretty sure the details are on this site somewhere!
  12. philosobrad

philosobrad problem_solvent

Oddometer:
    Purchased a project 640 Adventure last week, that the PO had decided to part out. Picked it up just outside KC without hearing it run, and without an IMO. PO stated the machine had roughly 4500 miles, and other than a spray bombed tank and upper fairing, she looked like a low mileage example. The price was right, and came with a decent amount of spares, so the deal was struck.

Got the bike back to the workshop and had myself a decent assessment of what I'd gotten into. Lots of buttoning up, and understanding that all the case cover and valve cover gaskets had been discarded. I really needed to get this beast up and going for an enduro ride 3 days later, so against my better judgement..............liquid gaskets were made :puke1

After reasonably sealing the LC4 up and reinstalling the starter, it became very apparent, that there were issues somewhere with the E-start system. After reading through several posts, I deduced a sprag assembly is the most likely culprit. So I kicked. And kicked. And swore, then kicked some more. After shredding both legs, it finally caught, started and IDLED!

I live 30 minutes from the Chadwick off road vehicle area, located in the Mark Twain Nat'l forest near Springfield, MO. World class (IMO) off road riding that covers everything from wide gravel to black diamond rocky/rooted single track. Took the bike out with some friends of various skill, with the intention of riding the easier family grade trails. This lasted 15 minutes before taking a wrong turn down a moderately difficult black diamond. I typically tackle this area with a well worn 250EXC two stroker with a fair amount of struggle, so I was pretty nervous taking an unproven monster in and back out.

I fell in love with this machine and its capabilities in short order. It's a twist of the throttle to tractor up and over logs, shelf rock, mud, ice covered rock, you name it. Riding down gravel at the same pace I felt comfortable on the EXC, was boring! Twist the gas and fly!

I haven't been this excited about a moto purchase in a decade, and now I'm contemplating selling my Triumph Scrambler, as it now seems obsolete! Will make a better assessment after sorting out the E-start and installing factory gaskets.

[​IMG]

Brad
    417moto.com
  13. TripleThreat719

TripleThreat719 Track Addict ADV Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the obsession...
  14. Low594

Low594 Adventuring Creep

Oddometer:
    Welcome! I think you might do well with a build thread, so we can help you along. and its fun for us to see what you got going on! That windscreen looks to be non-factory... does the upper portion bolt onto the headlight shroud? It looks to have the angle and lip of the early 2 piece screen/shroud, but has the USD forks of a late model, with the mid front hub(no boss for 2nd disc). Given that I am guessing its an '01-'02?!
  15. philosobrad

Oddometer:
    Yassir, you're an astute viewer ('01). The upper is one piece, the PO just used the split you see as a demarcation to spray bomb the upper portion of it in white. I'm still scratching my head over this. The tank paint is hideous, and I'm too ashamed to post a pic of it. I'm going to try and have the entire bike vinyl wrapped after I figure out a way to safely remove the paint from the tank. I'm aware of the possible adhesion issues with the tank due to its poly construction, but gonna give it a shot anyway. I will be posting often to try and give back all the information gleaned from the incredible posts that have gotten me this far. This monster has consumed my thoughts since I bought it. I've given long dissertations over the years that there is no perfect solution to "one bike to do it all". I may have just discovered this unicorn.

Single track--check
    Highway use--check
    Loaded touring--check ish

Unknown:

If'n my 520 EXC Supermoto wheels fit this bike, I'll give it a shot at a track day to see if it's a viable Supermoto.

I've more or less stuck the rear EXC wheel in place of the LC4 stocker, and it seemed to fit just fine. Anyone know off hand if the front will work?
  16. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    If the tank is the standard KTM tank (not the KTM competition tank), you should have no problems with paint or vinyl adhesion. They are the plastic that does not "breathe". Otherwise, the standard paint from KTM would be bubbling off.
    Maybe the PO just covered over the beautiful paint underneath?

Love to here about your experience with the 520 wheels.
  17. philosobrad

Oddometer:
    If I post a pic of the tank, can you Identify it?
  18. juames

Oddometer:
    Come on post a pic, we won't laugh promise. :D
  19. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    Look on the bottom of the tank, it may have the KTM part number moulded on it. It it does, use munnracing.com to cross reference the part number.

If it is listed on the normal parts fiche, it's a standard tank and can be painted, wrapped etc. If it says it's from the KTM hard parts catalog, then it is the unpaintable one.

On my 2005 640A, when you look inside the filler cap, the tank is a white(ish) colour. My tank from the hard parts catalog is orange the whole way through (and translucent). (Yes I have both tanks and swap them depending on the ride).
  20. philosobrad

Oddometer:
    The clear solution then, is to trade me your hard parts tank, for this one. Seems equitable.