across the usa in 3 days...or less

Discussion in 'Americas' started by F800ekelley, Nov 23, 2012.

1. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    "the superslab without much to see"

that is such a mis statement and I hear it all the time

highway thru a urbanized area, sure not scenic, but beats the surface streets the the city & suburbia

out in the rural areas, highways are more open, better vistas, not like riding thru the treed forest where ya can't see past the trees, a twisty ride and enjoyable for that reason, but not for the scenery

no need for monkey butt powder if you wear the right underwear
  2. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good call on the fast food joints

When I travel LD, for me, a good sit down breakfast, 3 eggs, potatoes, sausage coffee & OJ as a mom & pop greasy spoon, the rest of the day, a fruit or protien bar snack at fuel stops

I have used "5 hour energy" on one ride, seemed to work as advertized,but would never use RockStar, RedBull or even Mountain Dew (I don't drink carbonated) Mostly I just drink plain water.
  3. feldjäger

feldjäger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got back from Houston to Vegas. Biggest thing is a seat, the BMW one sucks on the long days. On a side note, I might be heading out to Philly during that time myself and thought about riding. Going to the Gettysburg for the big re-enactment. I live in Vegas so I'm sure we would hit the same routes.
  4. scudrunner

scudrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What I mean is, he doesn't have much of a choice of routes to see anything for time sake... The interstate system is great to get though urban area, no doubt and much quicker than state highways or back roads. I think most of us would prefer to be on back roads than the superslab... there is more to see and check out. Plus those Mom and Pop greasy spoons aren't normally on the superslab where you will more likely have to settle for fast food or truck stops.

Crossing the Southwest and southern Midwest in the summer is hotter than hell. Regardless of what underwear you wear you will be more comfortable with powder and much less likely to get heat rash.
  5. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    oh yes they are, yer just getting off at the wrong exit or not opening your eyes, and when it comes to breakfast, truck stops are similar to mom & pop, they serve real fresh eggs and cook to order

you can stop along the way and see things as yo go, and never make it to your original destination, or you can travel quick get a glance as you pass by and get to really see what you wanted to at your destination

which one do you see more, I guess its a matter of perspective, but to me, a cornfield looks like a cornfield whether your looking at it from a highway or a back road, I can see more the faster I travel thru it, then when I get there, I have more time to get to the real back roads, and not just primary & secondary roads that show on the average paper map
  6. F800ekelley

F800ekelley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    WOW thank you all so much for the advice honestly alot i never thought of. I have done some trial runs and my ass litterly has calauses on them now i will make sure my boys are well powdered hahah. Something extra to keep in the panniers thanks so much. I have settled that my stops will be rest and gas i am not expecting to see much more than a gas station
  7. scudrunner

Oddometer:
    That is the point here... he needs to get from Point A to Point B the quickest way possible, the less scenic route is the Interstate System. I call it a destination ride, when you get to point B you can slow down and hit the local Americana and see the better part of America. I'm so use to riding I-80 through the cornfields of Nebraska but when I took some of the state highways a few years ago I was surprised how much I've been missing. It was definitely slower but far more interesting. I could acquaint this to I-95 in Maine to US 1... nothing to see from the interstate but lots to see along the coastal route.

Again this summer I'll be riding up your way and taking mostly secondary highways. I find it refreshing to ride through woods than cornfields. On the way back we'll probably ride the interstate.
  8. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    YES! Corn looks the same at 75 mph as it does at 35.

9. NoVa Rider

NoVa Rider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've done it in 2.5 days. Here's fourteen tips I've learned from experience, or been given by some hard corps LD riders:

1. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.. you could use a camelback, but limited capacity and weight on your back. I used this: http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?63619-Mick-s-Hillbilly-Hydration-System IIRC, 160 ounces of liquid goodness. A folded hotel hand towel under the front of the coleman kept everything level. Fill with ice/water and ride. This is just one options, some bungee a cylindrical cooler to the passenger peg, working especially well if you have panniers;
    2. Don't dawdle at gas stops. That wasted time adds up. Gas up, use the facilities, and go. My stops were about 8-10 minutes. You can eat and drink on the road. I find in the heat I don't eat much, but drink H2O constantly;
    3. Bicycle shorts. They work;
    4. Monkey Butt/Gold Bond Medicated Powder. Either works well;
    5. Beef Jerky/Banana Chips. Texture, protein and potassium. Pack it on the bike, saving more time at stops;
    6. Down a gatorade as needed, especially if the temps are super high;
    7. If temps are super high, pack your suit with ice at each stop. You get about 60 minutes of evaporative cooling;
    8. I start at 4 - 5 am each day, as I prefer knocking out miles early, keeps me in a good mindset all day. I ride until 10 or 11, later if needed;
    9. Stop on the far side of the big city. You avoid traffic the next morning (but leaving early obviates that);
    10. Make sure you are super visible. Reflective tape on your panniers, helmet, and reflective strips on your suit will help you be seen, and survive;
    11. Pack light (or half of what you think you'll need). You don't need much, and if you break down, see 13 below;
    12. Call your credit card company to tell them you'll be travelling so they don't see the multiple gas purchases and shut down the card. Bring cash for when they shut it down anyway;
    13. Get towing coverage from your insurance. Will save you tons if/when your bike breaks down; :wink: and
    14. Finally, consider getting an ezpass/fastpass. Depending on your route, will save you tons of time at toll roads.
    Good luck. :thumb
  10. scudrunner

Oddometer:
    great write up!
  11. NoVa Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks, hope it helps someone. :thumb
  12. NoVa Rider

Oddometer:
    Added tip:

Call your credit card company to tell them you'll be travelling so they don't see the multiple gas purchases and shut down the card. Bring cash for when they shut it down anyway;
  13. Qaz

Qaz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you figured out what you are going to do yet Kelly? I read the whole thread for a third time and just shook my head. If I were on a F800 this is what I would do:
    1)Make sure the bike is in the best shape it can be in. Get a can of Silkalen chain lube( It stays on the chain and cuts down on lubing it so often)
    2) If the seat is not comfortable, make it comfortable.
    3) If you can mount highway pegs & a taller shield do it, so you can move around.
    4) Put a throttle lock of some kind on the bike.
    5) Mount a tankbag low on the tank so you can lay on it.

For me the bike is the most important part of the trip(Break downs suck) 6-13 just make it more comfortable!

6) Take fireballs or some sour drops for when you get tired, but not sleepy.
    7) When you get sleepy, either stop in a rest stop and snooze or stop for the day.
    8) Ride the speed limit, you get better fuel mileage. Gas stops kill your MPH average.
    9) I stop at McD's for lunch, get a McDouble and drink the heck out of Powerade to rehydrate.
    10) Fill the tank the night before and start early in the morning (4 or 5am) before taffic gets heavy.
    11) I avoid toll roads, because I am cheap and I find that they do not save time.
    12) I will not eat anything that is dehydrated, it robbs your body of moisture.
    13) Lastly, the week before your trip, go out each evening and ride your bike 40-50 miles, that will prepare the butt.

Good luck!
  14. Joe?

Joe? ... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Amen.

For highway food, Subway is about the closest to healthy you are going to get, and easy to carry for later.
  15. Joe?

Joe? ... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode from Maine to Louisville, KC to Fayetteville, NC and back to Boston in July in 2011. Bike was showing upper 90s at highway speed. All of these are good suggestions, but you need to figure out what makes the trip more comfortable for you. There are plenty of WalMart's along the way if you need to make gear adjustments.

-If you are going to spend any time riding at night, highway or back roads, definitely invest in some lights. You can get a set of Sanjoh's LEDs for around $100. That was literally the first thing I did when I got home after critter dodging in NC at night. Even if you can only spare the cash for 1, it will make a world of difference.
    -I only wear Ex-Officio boxer briefs and t shirts now. They are spendy and there are alternatives, but anything synthetic will take the edge off the swamp ass/back.
    -Don't have personal experience with this one, but know plenty of guys who fill the camebak with ice water to keep them cool and have constant access to water.
    -Make the seat comfortable. Even if its lashing down some foam or the notorious $20 WalMart ATV seat cover, a sore ass makes for short days.

In terms of traveling, I found the OK tolls to be a pain in the ass; exact change, no toll workers, and expensive. Radar detectors are illegal in VA and the LEOs are always out in full force, so I avoid it when I can. WV is epic, I'd pound tar to get there so I could have some extra time to go though Monongahela National Forest. PA highways > MD and DC by a long shot. Not much to look at, but you'll keep the tires moving, which is especially important in summer. The OP didn't mention camping or hotels, but for a short blast like this where time is a factor it is a lot less stressful to pull into a motel and not have to worry about setting up camp, etc.

Hope this wasn't too long winded :ricky
  16. F800ekelley

F800ekelley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is AWESOME i will be doing all these i also looking to ionized water it hydrates u better i have done a few all day rides as preping work and man ur ass gets sore, mine is calioused by now so stock seat feels ok the sheeps skin makes a huge diff but in the summer not sure what the options are. This is so good i am printing and putting in my tank bag. My bike is not the best for the trip agree but its what i have so i am going to use it i can cruise at 75 for 8 hours no problem. I have done alot of work on this trip and talk to alot of IBA guys riding harleys or K1600(wish i had this bike for the trip) found alot of guys who have done it and they state the prep work makes all the diff get use to sleeping 6 to 8 hours a day. And being alert the rest. There best advise is no enegry drinks cause of the crash and lay off sugar due to the way it makes ur body tired. I am all about the natural ways. I agree with the toll roads i am a cheap ass as well . I realized some things i wanted were not realistic i have a rout planed mostly going straight thru texas and up the big cities on the freeway scare me so looking for round ways still not 100% planned but i have time i most say i love this site even more the feedback form people is so amazing . Would love to win the lottery and ride around meeting and having a beer with alot of the people on here. Thanks everyone i will provide updates as of now i have the tires and the gps along with the camping equipt. Still need alot but have time. Alot of this ride is to also clear my mind think over life i will be turning 30 so a good life assesment is important what better place than the open road. Alot of this is random take it as u will thanks everyone
  17. F800ekelley

F800ekelley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would love to ride along with you that would be awesome wickinberg az would be good meeting place? Keep me posted
  18. tkent02

tkent02 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Take an extra week off and we can show you some great roads and rides. Three days, not so much.
  19. F800ekelley

F800ekelley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have heard of packing the suit with ice not sure howto do this i have a bmw trailmaster jaacket would think i am just going to be soaked riding and how annoying that would be. Did u find this to be the case?
    Insurance check they raised the rate
    Called my bank i dont like credit cards they always screw u with wierd fees when u do this

Pack light- still not sure what i need i know basic tools tubes and patch kit this stuff wieght alot already really bringing tent pad blanket what did u find you forgot to take or wish u had?

Bike short- good suggestion i am not a fan of being all cramped up downstairs but extra padding always good il get a pair of these

Thanks for the support all the comments make me even more excited to ride

Camelback, i have 2 of these never leave home with out it in az
  20. Qaz

Qaz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kelly- Don't pack your suite with ice. If it is in a plastic bag it will sweat, it is even worse if it is loose. Either way you are screwed if the water gets to the place you are sitting, then it is called diaper rash and that would make for a VERY UNPLEASENT TRIP!! When it is that hot that I need cooling, I don't wear a jacket. I take a good heavy sweat shirt, soak it in water, wring it out pretty good and just wear that. Instant A/C and a heavy sweat shirt will hold enough water without dripping that it lasts for a while. Now I have a jacket made by Nike for runners that blocks the heat of the sun, but lets air flow freely through it. It is like riding with no shirt on a cool evening, even on the hottest days.
    Alcan rider gave me some good advice for a planned trip to Alaska, make a list of everything you think you will need, then cut it in half. You are over thinking this! It is 2 1/2 days, travel light! The first year I rode to Sturgis, the bike looked like a pack mule. The next year I put one change of clothes in Walmart bag, strapped it on with the tent and sleeping bag and left. A week and a half later I was home. Guess which trip I enjoyed better?