Belstaff Trialmaster by J. Crew

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by raptorrapture, Mar 4, 2010.

1. raptorrapture

raptorrapture n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,
    New member here!

J. Crew is starting to sell Belstaff jackets. They have the Roadmaster and the Trialmaster (original) for $595 and $695, respectively.

For those that have the original Trialmaster, what is the difference between the one J. Crew is selling and the Belstaff Classic Tourist Trophy Jacket that British Motorcycle Gear sells? I'd rather spend $595 than $695 if I have to, but I'd like to make sure they're essentially the same jacket before doing so.

Thanks in advance!
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Please confine your vendor posts to VENDORS where this thread has been moved, as this site is spam free. :thumb
  3. Trophy Mike

Trophy Mike w/extreme prejudice

Oddometer:
  4. Lasermaster

Lasermaster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From the British Motorcycle Gear website:

"The Belstaff Classic Tourist Trophy Motorcycle Jacket is a reproduction of Belstaff's Classic Trialmaster Motorcycle Jacket. With the addition of Level 1 Armour ...(which makes it) worthy of its new 'Tourist Trophy' name."

It appears to be a replica of the classic waxed cotton Trialmaster with the addition of functional armor at the shoulder and elbows.

The website indicates that it was made in Italy. Although Belstaff's heritage is in the UK, it is an Italian company today. I believe their offices are in Venice. You can read about the company's history here:
    http://www.belstaff.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=142&Itemid=374

The fact that BMG's jackets are manufactured in Italy is a good sign. It looks like the real deal. (You'll notice J. Crew's jacket is also manufactured in Italy).

I was pleasantly surprised to notice BMG is also carrying the Belstaff Long Way Down jacket. I tried this on at the Belstaff shop in London last fall, and I was really impressed. It's expensive, but you get what you pay for.

It looks like Belstaff has transitioned from "functional" to "fashionable" and back to "functional" again. Great stuff.

I think the folks from BMG post in the vendor forum. Maybe they'll comment on your thread, or maybe you can track them down and PM them for more information.

If you end up ordering the BMG Tourist Trophy jacket, please give us a review.
  5. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Geez, I bought mine in 1990 for 100$, a made in England model.
    Still have it. It's ok, I used to to go to the Isle on Man in 1994. It sure stains the shit out of a pair of jeans though.
    Steve
  6. meteorite

meteorite MoreDust

Oddometer:
    Exercise the sphincter and you won't need belstaf to take care of it. Can get pricy.:evil
  7. Dantegod

Dantegod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Tourist Trophy Jacket that we sell is in the Pure Motorcycle Line Out if Italy not in the Fashion line like the ones J Crew is selling. The Tourist Trophy Jacket is a heavy waxed cotton with a full thermal liner and Level 1 CE Armour. This is the one we had on display at all the International Motorcycle Shows this past year. We finally have a few more coming in stock this week the last shipment was sold out before it even arrived. J Crew has some nice jackets but they are light weight for the fashion market. The Pure Motorcycle Line is all just for us Bikers..

Paul
    www.BritishMotorcycleGear.com
  8. zano874

zano874 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm so glad I found this thread. I to had my eye on some JCrew's offerings. The Tourist Trophy seems the way to go and the price is right!

As soon as I shift my size 46 HG Paris Dakar I'll be hitting up BMG.

Thanks Paul
  9. sailor22

sailor22 Jay Pegg pusher

Oddometer:
  10. zano874

zano874 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Stopped by J Crew on the way home today. I tried on the Roadmaster and man do those things run small. An XL was even too small and I normally wear a large in things. They're nice but not for motorcycles super thin. The real deal is what Paul is talking about.
  11. YJake

YJake Long timer

Oddometer:
    Paul,

You wouldn't happen to be able to obtain the Tourist Trophy jackets in any of the other colors they come in besides black would you?

-Jake
  12. zano874

zano874 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My Belstaff TT arrived today. I am in complete awe as to how beautifully put together this jacket it is. I might have to say that in my 16+ years of riding this is the nicest jacket I've ever owned.
  13. badcarma

badcarma Adventurer

Oddometer:
  14. zano874

zano874 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wore it all weekend on and off the bike. The ones in the know were very impressed by its quality and the same goes for the ones who had never even heard of the brand.

Fit and finish are top notch! With the liner in it's pretty warm just not as warm as my HG Paris Dakar. I think with a quality windproof baselayer you'll do fine. I commuted to work today and it was in the low 30's. Not sure If i'd last all day but I was good to go for the 30 minute ride. I'm hoping I'll be able to wear it in the summer.

I will say it again. In my 16+ years of riding I can honestly say that this is one of the nicest jackets I've ever owned. I look forward to breaking it in as it will get nicer with time.
  15. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
    Pretty amazing to think when the real Belstaff was in the US from 97 until about 02 a Trialmaster waxed cotton jacket was less than $250 retail.

Great looking jacket, but they are very hot in the summer & very thin for use in the winter. The cut does not allow layering, unless you order it in a really big size.

It is a mostly waterproof, but does not compare with modern textiles

They also stink like hell with they get hot, the wax combined with your funk will have you smelling like a horse.

The J. Crew version looks like is has been pushed to the fashion side of things, it looks less heavy duty and even more closely tailored. (they got the plaid the wrong color too)

Mine is way cool. It is the perfect jacket for 50-65 degree days when it might mist a little. Trouble is we do not get many of those around here.
  16. zano874

zano874 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Supposedly they've updated the characteristics to address some of the things you've mentioned. I've also heard the old ones run on your clothes and feel oily. A rep from BMG is on this thread maybe he'll reply back with a better explanation. He also commented on the line fashion verson. These new ones are also armored. I'm not sure about the OG ones. The armor is also removable.
  17. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
    He and I do not see things the same way. We have not had very good conversations in the past.

Yes they can leak oil/wax onto your other clothes & will make a greasy jacketprint on anything you lean against on a hot day.

Still they look damn good dirty & dusty....very authentic.
  18. Dantegod

Oddometer:
    If you get a chance check out the Tourist Trophy Jackets at any of the International Motorcycle Shows this year. They have changed a lot and the Italians have done the Belstaff Brand Proud with the Pure Motorcycle Line.

The Fashion line is for Fashion.. The Pure Motorcycle line is made for riding..

Paul
    www.BritishMotorcycleGear.com
  19. zano874

zano874 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Happy TT owner here. It looks great on and off the bike.
  20. Dantegod

Oddometer:
    We just put up some of the new Belstaff line for 2013 on our web site. www.BritishMotorcycleGear.com

We hope to have them in stock in November so we can show them at all the IMS show. The new video with Ewan McGregor shot at Goodwood is also on our web site.

Attached Files: