1. SenorPeligro

SenorPeligro Proper Naughty

Oddometer:
  2. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    more Old Coast Road...

[​IMG]

thats about midway, looking back north. Taken from about (A) here, looking towards (B) http://g.co/maps/49caf

about 1.8 miles line of sight, and 3+ miles of riding :)

here's another panoramic view, the big hill is Bixby Mountain

[​IMG]
  3. zeegman

zeegman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The KLR was rescued and restored to working order to live a second of its nine lives.
  4. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    and the farmer has closed the road. :huh
  5. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    No, the county closed it. The ford across the river was dug out, the county must have done that, and the road is posted as closed.
    Actually, they did more then dig out the ford. They re-graded the area. There are verticals on each side of the river now.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    After nearly a year I see no tracks of anything crossing the river. I know my GS would not make it the way it is and the bottom of the river looks real soft. But I haven&#8217;t walked out into it to see for sure.
  6. BigT

BigT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's too bad. I used to love riding Old Hernandez Rd.

I took this photo about a week and half after it came to rest here, and after the water level had dropped about 4'. :D

[​IMG]

Here's that same bike today.

[​IMG]
  7. scottmac

scottmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually my friend Brian and his girlfriend rode across the crossing on Old Hernandez back in October.

He said if you go upstream about a hundred yards you can cross with no problems.
  8. scottmac

scottmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    <iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3nY1Ab-tKEs?feature=player_embedded" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

Here is Brians vid of trying the main crossing...:rofl
  9. SenorPeligro

SenorPeligro Proper Naughty

Oddometer:
    B- for effort. A+ for achievement :rofl :evil
  10. lvscrvs

lvscrvs Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok, well, that was easy.... I thought of a few other options that you might like. Off Siegler Springs there's a road called Diener that's a fun little dirt road. Diamond Dust Trail which goes off Diener must be dirt, but I can't remember for sure. Anyway, play around on those, then take 175 or Bottle Rock over toward Kelseyville. There are a lot of small roads west of Kelseyville that I'm not familiar with, but one of them, or maybe several will take you to the Old Toll Rd, or Younce Rd, which parallels 175 (the Hopland Grade). The Old Toll Rd is dirt. I think Highland Springs Rd is the one we took when we did it to get to the Old Toll Rd.

Ok, so when you get to Hopland it's all pavement on the following loop, but great roads anyway if you haven't already done them, so worth checking out if you ahve the time. Out of Hopland take Mountain House Rd to 128. 128 south to Cloverdale, through town to Dutcher Creek Rd. Take that to the Lake Sonoma Visitors center and go out Skaggs Springs - Stewarts Pt Rd. You can take that all the way to the coast and come down a very nice stretch of Hwy 1, or you can stay up on the ridge by taking Tin Barn to Hauser Bridge, seaview, and Myers Grade which brings you back to 1. Some of the best stuff in the North Bay right there.... :D
  11. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I’ll go and look at that. The main crossing I didn’t think I could do on my 1200 and the bottom looked so soft I had doubts my 400 would make it through either.
  12. BigT

BigT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Problem is, if you go up stream pretty much at all, you're on private property; and the rancher/property owner doesn't like that too much. :pissed
  13. T O Double D

T O Double D Pogue Mahone

Oddometer:
    Exactly. Honestly I don't even think the crossing in the main section was well advised. Remember San Bentio County reopend their roads in Clear Creek, against the wishes of the EPA, because they thought it might bring in more taxes. Who do you think brings in more taxes. A few dual sport guys, or the ranch owners along Old Hernandez. Pissing off the ranchers is not in our best interests, IMO.

The riding here in the Bay Area sucks for dual sports. If you want to have fun go out to Nevada. You can ride for literally thousands of miles and only touch pavement to get gas.
  14. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously?? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Scottmac, Goggles, myself and a few others met up last year and had a mini ADVrider summit at Nacimiento campground right on HWY 1, about 30 or so miles south of Carmel. It's a great spot especially if the weathers great. Anyway, if you take the Nacimiento-Fergusson Road up the mountain east, at the top you'll see a dirt road entrance. Take the right (the left dead ends at a rock slide) road and follow that a bunch of miles and you'll eventually junction Los Burros Rd which will eventually bring you back to HWY 1. I can't remember the total miles for this loop but it's somewhere near 25 or so. It's a fantastic view on a clear day!

http://jrabold.net/bigsur/roadpt1050.htm
  15. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    When I was there last May, I did walk upstream a ways and I didn’t see anywhere I’d want to try crossing. But I did not cross the fence lines.
    I want to use Old Hernandez but not so much I am willing to trespass on private property
    I does piss me off that the county closed that road however. I’ve been using that road, off and on, since the 60’s.:deal
  16. BigT

BigT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You don't actually have to cross any fence lines to find yourself on privately owned land. A lot of it is open-range out there, so it's hard to tell.
    Easy rule of thumb is: Stay on the road and you won't be trespassing. :D

It is a shame about the closure, though, I too enjoyed riding Old Hernandez from time to time. Fun road. :cry

At least there's still LaGloria.
  17. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    I would take Old Hernandez every time I went down or up Hwy 25. It made a nice break from all the high speed stuff. And it was part of one of my favorite loops from Hollister through Clear Creek. Nice ride. :deal
  18. BigT

BigT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup, that's what I did, too. It was a nice little change of pace, and scenery, when you got tired of 25. I actually kind of enjoyed having to dodge livestock on the road. :lol3
  19. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    Livestock in the road can help motorcycles get past slower traffic too. The last time I rode Mosquito Ridge Road out of Foresthill, we were stuck behind three of those short buses with rafts on top hauling people to the top of the rapids to do some whitewater rafting. We maybe could have passed one on that narrow and winding road, but not three of them. When they stopped for the cattle in the middle of the road, it was easy enough to thread our way through the cows while the buses waited for them to get off of the road. :lol2
  20. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    Me too
    I had a stampede going once on New Idria road.
    I had too stop and calm the cattle down. I was afraid the rancher would shoot me. :D