2-Stroke Picture Thread

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by FloridaSteve, Dec 30, 2007.

1. LasseNC

LasseNC XSessive!

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

My latest purchase! :)
  2. heliyardsale

heliyardsale Always looking for Dirt!

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    My 1976 YZ125X
  3. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:

Ohhhh,Ahhhh,,,hey,you should post pics of your last,,,3 or 4 2 strokes.:deal
    You got good taste.:lol3
  4. micah360

micah360 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like that! I used to have that same bike back in the day. Poor thing :(

5. miguelR

miguelR biker

Oddometer:
    My jawa 350
    3 years before and now
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ErikMotoMan likes this.
  6. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Let's get serious huh?

[​IMG]
  7. TheRadBaron

TheRadBaron Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So what did you think of this bike, all in all? I recently got an identical (though not as nice) DT400 in a trade and I haven't been able to turn up much info on this year. Mine is so complete and all-original that I'd really like to get it on the road. Something is holding me back from messing with it, though, that I can't quite put my finger on. I need to be either talked into it or out of it.
    Any info or experience that anyone has with this model of DT400 would be appreciated.
  8. MC_Collector

MC_Collector Retired and riding!

Oddometer:
    This is a cool thread!

Here's my contribution with some history on the bike (1977 Yamaha DT250D).

A good friend and I purchased identical bikes after we graduated in 1977. Three years later I needed some money, sold mine and quit riding for 22 years. Many years later I told my friend to let me know if he wanted to sell his. My wife and I got another bike in 2002. A couple of months later I heard from him that he wanted to sell it and that he had bought a new bike because the 250 ran bad. He sold it to me cheap and all the trouble was carb related which I eventually worked out. It's never been restored, has a little over 20,000 miles now and is all original except when I couldn't get factory parts (UFO front fender and Saddleman seat cover) and runs perfectly. My wife and I have accumulated 7 other bikes in addition to this one so it does not get a lot of use, but I can't imagine getting rid of it. My friend got sick and died a couple of years later. The bike is a very real reminder of him.

I took it out for a little 30 mile ride near home today.

[​IMG]
  9. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum. Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. Dorzok

Dorzok Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 1976 YZ250
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wish i had the air fork cans.
    i used my bro-inlaw's 125 to fab my chain guide

[​IMG]
  11. mudgepondexpress

mudgepondexpress Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 250 and 400 share the same chassis. I can give you real life experience on the chassis, but not the engine (thought the 250 shares a bit of parts).

I think the suspension is way too soft in stock form. The old monoshock works well but the spring rates are way to soft for anything agressive off road. The 250 was undergeared from the factory and tops out around 80 mph, I know the 400 has similar gearing and a 5 speed box, bet the top speed is really close. The rear brake is fine, the front is pretty weak (compared to other bikes of the era). The front hub is weird so just replacing the brake with something better is going to be hard. I want to go with an IT setup and use the twin leading shoe setup off the YZ465. Don't forget it is a 6 volt system so the lighting is a little weak.

It is reliable as a hammer and the 250 is fairly easy to start. The injection system works great, don't disable it. Good tires help but really, invest in the right springs and the bike should wake up.

The DT175 of the same generation was a great bike, light, good power, easy to ride, and had a higher top speed than the 250 (i owned the 78 DT175, the wife currently has the 78 DT250).

Kenny
  12. TheRadBaron

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your experiences. The bike that I have should be an easy fix. I just need to clear out a few other projects and find the budget for another one. It seems like it would be a good old 2-stroke enduro to put some miles on.
  13. MC_Collector

MC_Collector Retired and riding!

Oddometer:

I've never ridden a 400, but used to ride with a bunch of folks who's had the RT360's which were much stonger than the 250. I would like the extra power the 400 would likely offer. A few years ago I saw one at the Barber Vintage Festival that looked new for 2K and I was sorely tempted. The old 2 smokes have a special place for me, just have to be very careful not to jet them too lean (needle shims can be your friend here) and have the timing properly set along with the obvious of clean carb, fuel, air filter, crankcase seals. My DT250D has never had the engine out of the frame. My body's a little to beat up to ride hard in the dirt, so the soft suspension is a plus for a flower sniffer like me. An amazing variety of parts are still available from Yamaha for the things (you may need to look up the numbers on the Yamaha web site fiche though) and place them with you Internet supplier of choice.

Dusty Evans
  14. thisflatearth

thisflatearth 2 wheel has been

Oddometer:
  15. TheRadBaron

Oddometer:
    "This DT400 is the dual sport equivalent to a YZ400..."

Yeah right. A similar displacement 2-stroke engine does not a motocrosser make. I'm guess that the DT makes about half the horsepower of a YZ. What a dork. A weenie too, if the MIGHTY DT400 is too fast for him. I admit that I've never ridden one, but I understand that they're more akin to a tractor than a race bike. That's not a slam, either. I like tractor-like motorcycles.
  16. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stop sitting on the fence...
    why don't yer say what yer really think...:lol3

Now a DT400 motor in a YZ or IT frame would be a nice bike
    I had a 79 IT400F.. was a great bike in it's day..
  17. MitchB

MitchB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is really nice. I've been thinking that the Titan might just be the two stroke to add to my harem (RDs a little too small, Kawi triples are now too much $$$...). Nice example.
    So - please, tell us what it's like to own and ride. They would seem to be a bit heavy. Does it handle - at all? We need your ride report...:evil

18. wvspike

wvspike Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. LasseNC

LasseNC XSessive!

Oddometer:
    To be honest with you, so far, I hate the handling, but it's my own fault.

The tires are terrible, cobbled with too low tire pressure when I rode it and worn bushes in the forks, it makes for slow handling compared to my MZ.

But it is not fair to judge it like that :)

Edit:

I'm looking forward to trying out my RD.
  20. 996DL

996DL Dunning-Kruger PHD

Oddometer:
    Two wins in the 500cc production class in the Isle of Man TT, 1970 and 1972 for the Suzuki T500. :thumb

996DL