Can KTM build a significantly lighter 700-800cc twin? Is there a market for it?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by LukasM, Oct 28, 2012.

?

Would you buy a 370 lbs wet, 80-90 HP, 700-800cc twin, priced between 690 and 990?

1. Tomorrow, bring it on!

2. Too small, prefer the exisiting 990 and upcoming 1190.

3. Too big, prefer a single.

4. Not interested in a KTM.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    :roflSo true. We are a schizophrenic bunch. We act like we are similar, but aren't.
  2. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

You forgot the bit about the probable $30k price :lol3
  4. jerdog53

jerdog53 Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer:
    Your right I did.....:cry
  5. Dan950ser

Dan950ser Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer:
    95 hp and 385 dry sounds a lot like the super enduro with the exhaust replaced with titanium ones. I don't dig the beak look either.
  6. Eataz

Eataz Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. Pomo

Pomo gonzo

Oddometer:
  8. orange spy

orange spy diddly squat

Oddometer:
  9. AZ-Twin

AZ-Twin Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer:
    The Bimota looks nice!

I doubt if KTM could make a bike more tourable that is lighter than that bike. But I don't know how much that 2 valve Ducati engine weighs either, it might be an anchor. I have an old ducati 900 Monster and I love the torque that engine puts out.
  10. yellowbronco

yellowbronco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dredging this old thread up...
    I received a VERY interesting email today from US Highland Inc. saying that they are in production on their 450cc single and will be producing the 950cc twin "soon". Their current business model says that US Highland "is a premium small displacement metric engine manufacturer. Creating the next generation engine platform to empower the custom builders and Do-it-Yourselfers to build the bikes of their dreams. US HIGHLAND has the ability to meet the custom needs of builders, OEM's and consumers. "

I have to admit that I started looking for a worn out KTM 690 to stuff the 950 engine into...

11. hvralpha

hvralpha Born2Ride

Oddometer:
    I am for a 330 pound, 700-800 cc reliable twin that makes 100 -120 Hp on-road and 80-100 off-road. Now that would be fun and kill the existing middel class competition. It is the ideal go anywhere bike if it is fitted with the 1190 electronics and drive modes so one can choose.:wink::wink:
  12. GEEZER5

GEEZER5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone thought of using a Triumph 675 street triple engine in a 690 chassis. Before I get lynched the power is excellent and the torque figures are excellent. With a bit of re-tuning, different cams and power curve etc the 105 bhp could be reduced and the torque bumped up from 68Nm. 68Nm is already not bad for a relatively small displacement motor. I can't find the actual weight of the engine but the whole bike only weighs in at 182kgs and the engine has won many awards and has been around since 2008 so a lot of the bugs have been ironed out. The street triple is a very compact bike and goes like stink. I had one for the day when my 1190R was being serviced and the engine is a peach.
    Just a thought from out of left field and I'm waiting for the backlash
  13. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of the strengths of the V-2 powerplant is the nature of its power delivery. It just works very well for off-road riding. One of the key complaints I've read about the modern Triumph XC800 is that it is beautiful on the road but spins up too readily for off-road riding.

Anything is possible. But for me, man I love the sound of the KTM V-twin. It growls in such a unique way. It's all I want to ride.
  14. The Breeze

The Breeze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 :evil

I think this combination would be great! From an adventure bike standpoint it would be fantastic. Makes for more "smooth" power and reduced vibration on sealed roads, yet is still an excellent machine off-road.
  15. lsellers

lsellers a DSRIDER

Oddometer:
    I talked to [the western regional rep] with KTM during the demo ride for the 1190 and 1190 R here in Fresno.

Part of our conversation was why stop production of the 950/990? His answer was that KTM's current focus is expanding their street bike market and that the 1190 is a push in that direction.

If the 700/800 twin is a push in that direction I would think it logical that they'd be headed there, especially if it fills a void in their new, street line-up.
  16. Auto-X Fil

Auto-X Fil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep. If you're really doing so much slab that the 690 engine is intolerable, the extra weight and size of the 990 or 1190 seem like a good fit for you.

If you're really looking to get down under 400lb so you can crush some major dirt, I'd think a 690 Adventure with dakar-style fairing, wider seat, and big tank would get the job done beautifully.

Here's another way to think about it. If you are willing to make the sacrifice of running real knobbies on your trip, I'd think the vibes of a single will be negligible. If you're not running an agressive knobby, but more of a 50/50 tire... sounds like a 990 is your bike!
  17. DRTII

DRTII Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't see KTM having any interest in that segment with the current push towards 90/10 street use. I WISH, but that wish would likely just be that. Think about the demographics of all of these so-called "adventure bikes", I see R1200GS ads constantly that state "never been off road"..whaaaAaa? However, they all have one thing in common, about $20,000 in expendable cash. Clearly, that demo backs out to profitability for BMW.

As for the dream of the perfect adventure bike, it's no longer about that, it's about selling the "thought" of adventure. Harley has been selling rich people dreams for years.

Besides, do you know how much business Starbucks would lose?
  18. stretchmoney

stretchmoney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A p-twin will always be lighter than a v-twin. A shared wall does 2 jobs for the weight of one.
    Exception:How did Aprillia build that 450-550 V twin and get the whole bike so light? 230 lbs on the road?
    Supposedly the honda vfr1200 V4 lump weighs A LOT, like 180-220 lbs or something.
  19. rossguzzi

rossguzzi Started on Montesa.

Oddometer:
    As much as I love 4 stroke. i would love to ride a 500 v twin (like Aprilia) 2 stroke Adventure bike.
    Tons of power and light weight.
  20. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    I can vouch for the Aprilia V-twin 550 being light, when I had the engine out for a rebuild. Monster power from that little lump.

[​IMG]