SW Motech skid plate help

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by dynamos2000, Mar 12, 2006.

1. dynamos2000

dynamos2000 is boinking your mom

Oddometer:
    I put on my centerstand today and I thought, what the heck, i have some more day light left, I'll put on my new SW motech skid plate.

The problem is, no matter how hard I try, I cannot get the two bolts pushed through enough to thread on to the nuts. These are the two bolts on top, the ones that connect to the piece that holds the two engine guards together.

Anyone else have the same issues when installing?
  2. bobcat

bobcat recalculating

Oddometer:
    I haven't had that problem, but I agree that those bolts are very short. Maybe if you used some vice grips, or an assistant with some pliers to clamp the aluminum tube together while you try to thread it?

FYI, I found it easier to put the nuts toward the front of the bike, then the tube, then the spacer, then the bolt. And when you go to tighten the bolts, don't tighten it too much, I've heard of the aluminum tube breaking if it is tightened so much that the flat parts are flush with each other.

Of course when you change the oil you'll probably be removing the skid plate, so you'll get pretty comfortable with removing and reinstalling...
  3. dynamos2000

dynamos2000 is boinking your mom

Oddometer:
    I'll try that. Vice grips and a buddy, may be a better outcome

thx!
  4. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a DL1000, and had the same problem, I bought longer bolts, I also replace the hex head bolt in the back with button head socket bolts, when I was out thrashing the hex bolts hit hard and bent the rear bracket back about 1", had to use a 2 lb. sledge hammer to put it back.