From Bad To Worse

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Vitamin_D, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Vitamin_D

Vitamin_D Mixing The Kool-Aid

Oddometer:
    Let me start out with an apology to John. This ride didn't turn out the way it was supposed to.

A few months ago I met John exploring a new riding area. He is local to the trails & was gracious to show me around with the agreement that I would show him the trails local to me. Well... He made it over to my playground today and it didn't turn out quite like I planned.

It started with a phone call with another riding buddy Rich the night before. Here is a summary of the conversation.

Rich: Hey a guy showed me the Mud Springs loop last weekend. We gotta do it tomorrow.
    Me: Really? I've wanted to ride that trail forever.
    Rich: Great. It's some gnarly stuff.
    Me: Oh wait. I have a guy coming that is new to the area and I don't want to scare him off.
    Rich: Is he a good rider?
    Me: Yeah he's faster than me.
    Rich: No problem! What does he ride?
    Me: WR300.
    Rich: Oh I love those.
    Me: I should probably mount the trials tire then?
    Rich: You know me I don't know how to ride without it.

Blah...Blah...Blah...

Just like that, John was going to be baptized by fire.

While I was in the garage installing a floppy tire, I adjusted my PV from fun mode to chug. I just love the versatility of the 2-stroke KTMs.

Just starting out. John in action.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The first tricky spot.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

VIDEO

2. Vitamin_D

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Here is a crappy picture of a desert tortoise. Since he wasn't in any hurry we had to bypass the trail to get around him.
    [​IMG]

One of the many step ups.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here Rich comes over to help out.
    [​IMG]

This side hill is literally only 6 inches wide. As usual pictures don't do it justice.
    [​IMG]

3. Vitamin_D

Oddometer:
    We found a trail sign on the ground.
    [​IMG]

Trail Pics...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then we came across a hiker. Nice guy. Not that we were poaching. It's just sometimes they don't care
    [​IMG]

Another sequence of John. Part of riding sweep means lots of pictures of the guy in front of you.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here he is at the top. I think we broke him.:(:
    [​IMG]

Only 10 miles in too.
    [​IMG]
  4. Vitamin_D

Oddometer:
    John mentions his bike doesn't seem to be running right. He blames the auto clutch he put in the night before. The idle is clearly erratic.

Back to the pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Where we are going.
    [​IMG]

And where we have been.
    [​IMG]

More of John.
    [​IMG]

John & Rich
    [​IMG]

Next is when it transitions from bad to worse...

5. HappyCRNA

HappyCRNA Athletic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Still hanging on to see what became of John......
    :pep
  6. Vitamin_D

Oddometer:
    Eventually we reach & cross the highway to gain access to the trails to get back to the trucks. I don't have any pictures, but it's basically a JEEP road that crisscrosses a gently flowing seasonal river. Rich & I are putting along occasionally checking to see that John is still there... Until he isn't.

Uh-Oh. When we find John he tells us something is definitely wrong with his bike and he's going to hop on the the highway to get back to the trucks. He also tells us to carry on and we'll meet at the staging area.

I tell him there is no way I'm going to abandon him. Since I invited him to this ride I see it as my responsibility to get him back safe.

Rich's bike isn't street plated so he takes the trails back solo while John & I hop on Hwy 87.

After about 2 minutes at a blistering pace of 45 mph I get bored, take out my camera, and start taking pictures for the 5-6 mile slab ride to the trucks.
    [​IMG]

Here I think I'm being clever and taking pictures of John following me along the shoulder of the hwy.
    [​IMG]

Yep... I lost him but didn't realize it until I get to the turn off where we are parked.

I pause for about 10 seconds hoping he'll come over the hill but he doesn't. Shit. Now my mind is set on a new objective. Recover John...

I race over to his truck, lock my bike to it's leaf spring, hop in my truck and tear off down the highway taking my goggles & helmet off at 80 mph. Less than a mile from where we got on the highway I find John pushing his bike. Not only is he completely cashed out from the trail riding, but to add insult to it he is now pushing his bike on a paved road!

Roadside Husky recovery service.
    [​IMG]

The heartbreaking part is his bike still has the original tires on it.

I'm sorry John. This wasn't how I intended it to go. I know you say you'll ride with me again & I sincerely hope you let me make good on my offer to show you a great trail ride.
  7. Gham

Gham tritagonist Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's a Husky! Probably an easy fix:rofl
  8. Big G

Big G Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dave, are you SURE you didn't go with me when I ran that trail with Fred and Jay maybe 3 years ago? :huh
  9. BIG-E

BIG-E AKA; Mongo-E, Sexy Grande Supporter

Oddometer:
    WOW!! That there is some brutal stuff! I kind of like to ride my bike not carry it....:lol3

I know John really well and if he has trouble on a trail, I would hate to be behind him!! He has saved my bisquites several times!:deal I thought I was going to have to walk out of a trail in Colorado that was only 3 miles long and I had been at it for over 6 hours, John stayed with me and rode my bike and walked out over a mile.

I talked to him yesterday and he said that his bike was seized up tight.:cry

Take care everyone, come ride with us, we don't carry ropes...:wink:
  10. Vitamin_D

Oddometer:
    No I never made that trip. I do you remember you telling me about it & that is why I'd been intimidated by the mention of the trail for so long.
  11. Vitamin_D

Oddometer:
    John is a great guy. Last week he told me his bike is mended & he'll ready to try again in the next week or so. I will post pics of our next run.
  12. grub

grub Requires Supervision

Oddometer:
    Come on Big-E, you and I need to go put our stamp on that one.