XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. ThumpnRed

ThumpnRed Pig Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Is that road rash on the side of the fairing?:eek1
  2. RZRob

RZRob Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:

Get an electronic flasher relay and it will work in all temps.
  4. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    I forgot to mention, your request wasn't too apparent in your previous post as all it had in it(that I could see) was the quote from me.

That's the one!

Alright Spud, you made me do it!! :ddog

:lol3

Here's how I've been talking about wiring the dimmer without the switch.

[​IMG]
  5. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man, the quotes are getting AFU on a lot of post the last day or so. :huh

There are some states that allow a person to buy a used dirt bike and easily tag it but my State isn't one of them. There's no way you'd have gotten the XRR tagged here...unless it's a new one that was never sold.
    In Virginia you can dual sport a brand new bike. The dealer does this before they sign it over to you. Once you buy an off road bike and get the Certificate of Origin(COO) or title(that will say "off road only") in your hands, your screwed.

I've had the same problem with my turn signal flasher when it's cold out.
  6. flyingwombat

flyingwombat frozen dead guy

Oddometer:
    You must have a different exhaust than me because you can't miss the discs, they are right on the back in plain sight. I believe the E2 was changed over time.
  7. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    The slider wear is probably from a chain being too loose. I had to replace mine awhile back. Wasn't worn thru but it was worn.

and your point is?

:hide

8. nic579

nic579 x

Oddometer:
    This is what I wanted but NY State is too oppressive to allow you to do the conversion, there are some around already done before the DMV blacklisted the bikes and I now hear that DMV has started to revoke previously titled black listed bikes. Could be a rumor but seeing I need to be able to run on the road I was not willing to take the chance. I really liked the XRR that I tested out.
  9. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ben, this is the relay I got at autozone...

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Tridon-4-pin-40-Amps-12-Volts-accessory-relay/_/N-4bb1?itemIdentifier=203873_0_0_
    [​IMG]

And of course the dimmer link, thanks to Spud!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140813968248?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

[​IMG]

I think it was in The Perfect line...or was it Jo momma, someone from NY mentioned that NY was doing that.
  10. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:

Ur a hater. :lol3
  11. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, BUT it is above minimum thickness as measured by a certified BMW fairing/body panel thickness gage.:rofl
    Really pretty amazing, the bike took a bad fall and big slide and not one tab or mount on the fairing broke!

I got your road rash right here! Here's the saddle bag cover from that slide.

[​IMG]

So what happened to our Gun Control debate!
  12. JWhitmore44

JWhitmore44 pistolero

Oddometer:
    If you haven't found them you've been looking in the wrong place :lol3

[​IMG]

The darker area between the chrome tip and the aluminum body is made of up several discs, 10 is stock I think. Had one on an XR400 ended up running about 6 discs to get the best combination of performance and not obnoxious. The less discs the more restriction, more discs less restriction. With less restriction often comes noise.
  13. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've always used a 15t sprocket. I've got a 14 but have never used it.

My bike has a Kouba link.

:amazon

14. absoluteclint

absoluteclint Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks... Yes you are correct... I was wrong in my original post (asking how to make my White Brother E Series exhaust more quiet). With more research I found the following info:

Less discs = less noise = less top end = more low end torque
    More discs = more noise = more top end = less low end torque

Aside from removing discs I believe a Quiet Core Insert was sold when White Brothers was still in business. Perhaps acquiring one of these is what I need. If I can't acquire one of these then I'll soon be in the market for a FMF Q4 or maybe trading my White Brothers for a used stocker (anyone interested??).

I didn't even know about the discs until I started researching them... Mine currently has no discs... And is, in my opinion, still too loud. Even a local, long time HareScramble racer/mechanic recently told me that my exhaust is terribly loud.

More research has revealed that White Brothers are apparently notorious for blowing out their packing which can contribute to increased noise levels. I'm going to look into this next. From what I've read repacking consists of drilling out the the factory rivets, replacing the packing, and installing new rivets.

I like for an exhaust to be as quiet as possible... I prefer to not draw attention to myself when riding. There are only two occasions that I think excessive noise is beneficial:
    1. If the noise makes you more "visible" on the road.
    2. When standing around drinking beer and showing off the bike to friends... especially non-riders. There seems to be a direct correlation between perceived cool factor and the amount of noise the bike creates... The louder it is the bigger my non-rider friend's "seal-of-man-toy-approval" seems to be! :lol3 Kind of comical...

If anyone stumbles across a White Brothers Quiet Core Insert, has a spare stock pipe you'll let go for cheap, has a used FMF Q4, or is interested in trading a White Brothers for a stocker let me know. :ear
  15. absoluteclint

absoluteclint Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for posting the pic... I believe you are correct in your assessment of the restriction/noise correlation.
  16. chipbl

chipbl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting, my GF says it's when she stands real close to the window at the Four Seasons... :D
  17. JWhitmore44

JWhitmore44 pistolero

Oddometer:
    Interesting things on the E series was there were two different "end caps" (that chrome part". The one that shows in the picture I posted is not open on the end. It's kind of dished out but all the exhaust gas exits between the discs not out the end. White Bros had a straight through end cap where you didn't need disc. Using it would be like running an open pipe.

This picture shows the different end caps. The one on top and on bottom are closed. The middle one is straight through.

[​IMG]
  18. ThumpnRed

ThumpnRed Pig Wrangler

Oddometer:
    I have run a couple of supertrapps on bikes and they blew out the packing pretty quickly... and would get really obnoxious. I would explore the FMF premier packing kit. They will last a lot longer than a standard glass packing kit. Back in the day, I repacked my supertrapp with pink fiberglass insulation. It would last about one ride, but it was CHEAP.:lol3
  19. ThumpnRed

ThumpnRed Pig Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Still trying to figure out how to mount this on my F150. After all my right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed...:lol3 This thing gives BRAAAAAP a whole new meaning!
    [​IMG]
  20. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer: