New F800GS ADVENTURE!!!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by bjorn_dakar, May 2, 2013.

1. beemerbum

beemerbum Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    :1drinkI'm the guilty party that toowheels was speaking of in the picture posting, having traded my slightly used 2009 GS in Graphitan (still the best colour) for the Adventure - put it on the road a day after the official BMW release date. Haven't been out much yet...spending most of my time finding out what will and what won't (still) fit from the '09 - some, but not much.

Lots, and lots, of changes to the Adventure - most good it seems, but some that are a bit tacky/cheap, although probably simplifying production and costs overall, and saving a bit of weight. Spent today taking all the panels off and documenting all that...

Moved my Heidenau tires over, so have discovered in a couple of short off-road excursions that they remain one of the best choices for this machine.

And yes, that is a zumo 665 in a Touratech cradle mounted on the upper windscreen frame - nice to have that spot back for use, like my previous R1200GSAs allowed.

Found out the Alt Rider Engine Guards could be adapted with spacers, but some strength issues and potential interference with braking...so took them off and put the BMW pieces back on, for now.

The back rack pattern hasn't changed, but the so-called 'Comfort Seat', that isn't really - too short for me at 6ft 2in and 34 inseam, so really hoping someone gets a seat out SOON, otherwise my local guru is going to have another 'mod' to tackle.

So as toowheels said, the MOD rack was moved over (wasn't going to part with it) and in use with the RotopaX pieces. Hopefully twowheels can do some magic with the rack design, as there isn't much vertical space from the back of the BMW Adventure panniers to where something hung off the MOD rack would sit, like the RotopaX L-bracket.

Spend more time in contacting suppliers, etc., to see when products might be available for the Adventure, especially better coverage engine guards,etc., although the revised side cowling is heavy duty and reinforced inside to act as relatively strong 'bumper' guard - much, much better than the lighter but weaker side pieces on the 2009-2012 models.

Have done lots of photos as I try stuff, add things and pull pieces off, so will try and post some later...

Cheers, Bruce
  2. beemerbum

Oddometer:
    Rodooo, with some time spent in the comfort seat, it is easily as comfortable the original BMW Comfort Seat (we still have it from my wife's departed F800GS) and just as short in the rider section, so for me, the bucket is two to three inches short...I like some wiggle/slide room. The individual who bought my wife's 8GS had a custom comfort seat done locally and it is just about perfect for length, height and comfort, so I see that as a possible (expedient) solution for me.

My favourite F800GS seat (having used five of them) remains the Sargent World Sport Enduro seat - flat, broad and long, and supportive in all the right places - I have spent many long days on it without an issue and just hope that they make a new one (soon) for the Adv - the longer trips are going to be kind of painful until I get a better seat.

Now having said that, and as noted above, the Comfort Seat for many riders will be a good long-term chair...

Bruce
  3. pilesofmiles

pilesofmiles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yesterday 60.3 degrees up on Mt Mitchell a 200 mile loop on the Blue Ridge Parkway....good times!:clap
    [​IMG]

This morning...back home.[​IMG]

A keeper!
  4. feldjäger

feldjäger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why does it matter? Maybe he actually take the thing off-road! Also one of those cans is for water, and those are only the one gallon ones anyways...calm down!!
  5. kapenagary

kapenagary Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the good information. My bike is at the dealer still in the box. It's going to be assembled and some farkles installed on Tuesday.

I haven't even seen an 800 GSA yet!

I'm getting it ready for a GlobeRiders tour in Africa later this year. If you hear of any upper crash bars that fit our bike please post it. That's the only thing I haven't found yet.

If you haven't noticed, Touratech has upgraded their online catalog to reflect what fits on the 800 GSA.

Thanks again for the info and pics,
    Gary
  6. beemerbum

Oddometer:
    kapenagary, still working on getting some other accessories installed, mainly the electronics stuff, including the Dispatch 1. Noted that Touratech has some stuff listed, but as you have said, not much for lower or upper guards yet - I'm also waiting these pieces anxiously. The BMW engine guards are OK, but pretty basic - want something akin to the Alt Rider pieces or with even better coverage, more like on my 1200 with its lower and upper guards.

The Globeriders tour should be a great ride, have fun prepping.

I'll post anything discovered during my ongoing farkling and if I get any leads from the manufacturers - have a couple engaged providing measurements and photos to possibly help accelerate the production and release timelines.

Cheers, Bruce
  7. ZOL

ZOL Retired !!!

Oddometer:
    Can anyone verify, my dealer stated the new 800 Adventure has a different front fork. Said it's a WP unit... Didn't mention adjustability ??

Going to go look at it tomorrow .
  8. Rodooo

Rodooo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All 800 s from 2013 model on, have wp forks
  9. PatrickM

PatrickM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not to get racist, but doesn't WP stand for "White Power"... in a German bike?
  10. Endurodude

Endurodude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After reading that the forks might be different, I asked my local BMW dealer about this. We were standing in front of the F800ADV at the time. He was definate that they were the same. He did say that even if the suppliers were different, the specs for the forks would be the same; therefore, irrespective of who makes them, they essentially the same forks.

It would have been nice if they'd upgraded them, though . . . .
  11. servdave

servdave Adventurer

Oddometer:

Looks so nice, I was looking at one at my local dealer today. Definately would like one for next bike. Hoping to pick one up in a few years time!

Be interesting if any other luggage manufacture gets pannier frames on this bike. With the tank and BMW frames being so sculpted going to be difficult!
  12. kiwiAdventure

kiwiAdventure Long timer

Oddometer:
    Who needs a person like you on this forum.:ddog
  13. PatrickM

PatrickM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're right, an internet forum is no place for asking questions. Let me know when that makes a better world.
  14. beemerbum

Oddometer:
    Accessorizing continues, getting ready for trek south to RA Rally at Biltmore, and first service check along the way. Loaded up to see how it all works for 'touring' of sorts, on and off the pavement.

Current listing: BMW Adventure Panniers with Micatech Roof Racks, MOD Rack and RotopaX pieces, SHAD Adapter Plate and SHAD ST-38 aluminum top box, FAMSA Tank Bag and Tank Pannier Set, Dispatch One Power Management System, Touratech cradle with zumo 665, Cyclops Combination LED Set, Clearwater DARLA LED set with dimmer control, ADVMonster M30 LED fork mounted for trail use, USB and Coaxial outlets, Heidenau K60s, etc.

Sure hope we get some better lower and upper engine guards soon - had the Alt Rider set test-fitted - some minor mods to design should see them as an offering (hopefully), but I would like to have an upper and lower set. And as important, especially now, a decent seat...Comfort Seat my ***!

Sorry, can't get pictures posted yet...PM if you want some views.

Cheers, Bruce
  15. RobbieO

RobbieO Muskokatard

Oddometer:
    Where did you get your FAMSA tank bag?
  16. señormoto

señormoto Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer:
    Wolfman makes luggage racks for the F800GS, along with... well, a whole lot of other companies. There are plenty of options available.
  17. speed_racer

speed_racer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed.. All of the stuff for the 2010+ f800 will fit the rear of the f800adv..
    Same mounting points and frame.

its just the front crash bars that are different
  18. servdave

servdave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Depends where they mount, as some pannier frames use the mounting point under the tail of the bike. When I was looking at one in my local dealer the 800gsa doesn't have these!

Not a problem though as I am sure most manufactures will sort it out! Going to take one out for a test ride soon I think!
  19. speed_racer

speed_racer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't make my mistake n test ride the s1000rr.. Otherwise the f800 feels boring on the test ride hehe
  20. BMW-K

BMW-K Unmitigated Bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is only true if your back can handle the ride for the distance! :lol3

I've ridden an honest 205 hp AMA S1k bike (*dyno'ed at the rear wheel). One questions why power like that would ever be needed...and then the addiction hits.

Much as I want the power, my back cannot handle it.