Death Valley 2008

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Daytona_Rider, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Daytona_Rider

Daytona_Rider You should be racing

Oddometer:
    The skies were cloudless; which doesn't bode well for photographers normally, but they are so absolutely BLUE. Incredible.

Another view of Salt Creek; the parking area.

[​IMG]
  2. Starstriker

Starstriker www.transasia.se

Oddometer:
    Cool! Me like! Isnt it strange - I live in Sweden and most of you americans would probably sell a leg to ride here.... Me myself would sell my mother to ride in those deserts. Wow!

Really nice videos:clap What software did you use to put them together?

3. Daytona_Rider

Oddometer:
    We camped one night at Stove Pipe; really just a spot in the parking lot for your tent but very nice I guess... It did have flush toilets if you have to have such things.

The restaurant across the way was very good! I had a tasty pasta meal... and a few :1drink so in the morning I had a bit of a headache - probably just slept funny right? :deal

This is the morning - the moon in the blue sky was striking.

[​IMG]

Cheers
    DR
    :D
  4. Daytona_Rider

Oddometer:

As far as Software I use Apple's Final Cut Studio Pro 2 - a bit of overkill for such a short but it's what I am most comfortable with; and it's fast as hell! :wink:

Thank you for your comments.

The deserts here are some of the most beautiful country I've ridden in. Sweden would be a trip of the lifetime thing for sure!

Cheers
    DR
    :D
  5. Daytona_Rider

Oddometer:
    Before we road through Titus Canyon we visited Ryolite. If you're into old buildings that could speak a novel if they could talk, this is the place for you. I personally love these old towns - asking the why's and the wherefores about the demise of it. As usual there seemed to be far too little signage and information about the place... but what there was was very interesting.

Here is a sort of overview:

[​IMG]
  6. Daytona_Rider

Oddometer:
    The colors in the desert - especially in the evening - are absolutely beautiful.

[​IMG]
  7. Daytona_Rider

Oddometer:
    I put another Teakettle Junction Picture up just to show some of the clouds and colors that day.

[​IMG]
  8. justJeff

justJeff Banned

Oddometer:
    Great pics and video, thanks for sharing.

I'm heading to DV on the 21st. I'll be in the redwoods and Moterey this coming week with the family for our kids spring break. After we get back, I'm packing up and heading that way. You video and pic's have really whetted my appetite.
  9. Daytona_Rider

Oddometer:
    We rode out Emigrant Pass on the way out during out February trip; it was cloudy and windy and really pretty!

[​IMG]
  10. Daytona_Rider

Oddometer:
    An overview from the road leading into Titus:

[​IMG]
  11. Daytona_Rider

Oddometer:
    Here's my wife and her trusty XT225, at the top of Mengal Pass. She trooped to the top like a pro!

[​IMG]
  12. Daytona_Rider

Oddometer:
    Here she is bombing down Death Valley Road on the way to Eureka Dune. The dune, if you've not been, is probably the most impressive sight in Death Valley. I was blown away; staggering the height and grandeur of the place.

[​IMG]
  13. Daytona_Rider

Oddometer:
    In mid-March the flowers were just about at their peak. Riding around Furnace Creek was pretty spectacular. Not Bonanza year for flowers I think, but a good one.

[​IMG]
  14. Daytona_Rider

Oddometer:
    Another one:

[​IMG]
  15. Daytona_Rider

Oddometer:
    Same trip - the clouds were pretty nice. This one was taken on the west side road just before sunset. This turned into another one of those "after dark adventures".

[​IMG]
  16. Daytona_Rider

Oddometer:
    We took a ride down Greenwater valley; Furnace Creek Wash Road to be precise. I've been down it a few times but this was the first time for Dawn. I took it easy but a few miles into it she was passing me and pushing it pretty good. I thought, "Well she's got this down!" and gunned it! :clap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Daytona_Rider

Oddometer:
    Greenwater Valley Road leads you (if you like) to Shoshone and the Crowbar Cafe' - a pretty decent hamburger is to be had there. Nice people there. I ate there with my 9 year-old son last June/ July while on a two up tour of Death Valley. He declared the hamburger he'd had there was "the best I've ever had". A ringing endorsement if I've ever heard one.

[​IMG]
  18. Daytona_Rider

Oddometer:
    We toured Scotty's Castle - the underground (technical) tour this time. We'd done the inside last year. It really is a must do in Death Valley if you're at all interested in the history. The Volunteer guide did an excellent job of informing and entertaining us. Heck I even got to operate the water generator! I almost couldn't handle the responsibility. :deal

I taken perhaps 30 pictures of this tree. Every time we visit somehow I sit on the bench below it and snap away...

[​IMG]
  19. Daytona_Rider

Oddometer:
    One part of the castle grounds the tour won't show you is this rustic cabin. Did you know that Scotty conned the then fledgling GM corporation into inventing a satellite dish so that as soon as satellite technology was available he'd be able to watch television!?

Look closely!

[​IMG]
  20. Mrs. Daytonarider

Mrs. Daytonarider n00b

Oddometer:
    As always you impress me! Thanks for being my riding buddy!:wink: