2013 Isle of Man TT

Discussion in 'EMEA' started by Platinumgrit, Jul 12, 2012.

1. WIDELOAD

WIDELOAD Bunburyist

Oddometer:
    Just chill and enjoy it...for a first visit I would consider flying here or travelling as a foot passenger on the ferry...the roads can get very manic (no speed limits on the open road) and some visitors I've spoken to find it very intimidating...riding standards can vary and some are piss poor...also throw into the mix locals both on bikes and in high performance cars things do get a little wild.

Has anyone considered the Manx Grand Prix...many prefer it to the TT...and there is the added bonus of the Classic Bike Festival at Jurby...the weather is often kinder to us being later in the year.

If anyone has any specific questions...or has problems whilst on the Island get in touch...

wideload@manx.net

...I will try to help...or come and introduce yourself (I've met quite a few people off here)...I'm the larger of the two DSM's at Ballaugh Bridge on practice/race days.
  2. Forde

Forde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    when i was over i saw speed limits on all normal roads and have heard that cops can be quite strict, except over the mountain but they impose one sometimes during the TT dont they
  3. WIDELOAD

WIDELOAD Bunburyist

Oddometer:
    There are some limits added for TT (that are not normally present) due to past accidents etc...but there are many sections of open road with no limit...Cronk-y-voddy, Bishopscourt, Ballaugh through to Sulby and the Moutain Road from Gooseneck to Keppel Gate...also quite a few away from the roads that constitiute the TT course.

The Mountain Road remains 'one way' from Ramsey Hairpin through to Creg-ny-baa for the whole of TT practice and race weeks (its a pain...but most locals never drive/ride against the direction of the TT course when roads are open...its just too dangerous)...although the IOM POlice often close it completely due to serious road accidents.
  4. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    I have become obsessed with the idea of going to my first TT within the next couple years. This thread has some good info (although I'm still completely lost :lol3).
  5. WIDELOAD

WIDELOAD Bunburyist

Oddometer:
    Have a look here...

http://www.iomtt.com
  6. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    In North America the term "booked" means that it is reserved. For example, a person might book a rental car to make sure it is available when they get there. It is a little confusing, since you also might book a flight, which means it is both reserved and paid for.
  7. Forde

Forde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    not sure what you mean. he said he was going to purchase a bike in the uk to ride at the TT, which is a massive waste of money as buying and insuring an old bike will cost you a lot more than renting an awesome new one for a week. also you cant register or insure it unless you have a uk address. most people wouldnt even sell you a bike as the "title" has to be transferred to the new owner, so if you have no uk address and they cant transfer the title to you that would leave them responsible for the bike in the eyes of the law.
  8. navi

navi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why Lost ?

What you need cleared up ?
  9. Forde

Forde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    its not that hard mate bounce onto a plane and go to the isle of man the first week in june, work the rest out when you get there.
  10. navi

navi Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap

Yes,,,, just finished watching TT3D, 2010, again
  11. navi

navi Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap

Yes,,,, just finished watching TT3D, 2010, again
  12. Platinumgrit

Platinumgrit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got an old cadets/army cot stretcher thing I can bring. It's a tubular frame that you assemble in a canvas stretcher type arrangement. I'm thinking it'll be good insurance against rain and wet ground.
  13. Platinumgrit

Platinumgrit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've bought a bike in Ireland through WheatWacker, and I'll be riding around Europe for a few months after the IOM TT is done with. To rent a bike would have cost me around 10K AUD for the same time, the one I bought set me back 2,300 EUR. Buying a bike in the UK was going to be too maddening for the amount of time I'd have to spend. I made enquiries with Insurance companies, and it was such a run-around. Every insurance company I spoke to said I had to be a UK resident etc etc. I emailed some of the brokers recommended on Horizons Unlimited and they all said they don't arrange insurance for foreigners any more.

Ireland has worked out for me, and I got the bike quite a lot cheaper than I would have if I'd bought it in the UK.
  14. Platinumgrit

Platinumgrit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks mate, I most certainly will.
  15. Platinumgrit

Platinumgrit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dude, let me know where you're gonna be and we'll grab a drink!
  16. navi

navi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will do .... Real Ale !
  17. rockydog

rockydog just a guy

Oddometer:
    Platinumgrit, I also purchased a bike through WheatWacker(Martin), same rational as you, good communication, he located a bike with a great price and easy transaction. Good option to renting for an extended time period or shipping a bike over. Scheduling the Manx Grand Prix this year, which suits me fine as it'll be my first time there plus the vintage bikes... Martin just emailed me pics of my freshly registered Transalp's title..more details here

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803515&page=4

wideload, thanks for the contact offer to guys visiting from this site, I'll give you a shout when I'm in the neighborhood

stephen

backtalk8124@sbcglobal.net
  18. bnordgren

bnordgren Curmudgin

Oddometer:
    I know I don't do much on this forum, but in line with what platinumgrit and rockydog have said, I contacted wheatwhacker last week at this time. In that time he's called on three bikes, sniffed out a potential lemon and let me know about a local bike that wasn't listed on donedeal yet. He also haggled one owner down way past what I would have attempted on my own, and inspected the repair work done on the bike. Good communication, knows more about bikes than me (not hard), and gives me the impression he's got my best interests in mind.

Wired the money yesterday for my "new" 1993 TDM 850 directly to owner. Odo says 33000km, but I assume it's rolled at least once. Who would buy a bike and not ride it? As soon as owner gets the money, WW can take the bike.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but it's posts on advrider by happy people who weren't screwed over that convinced me to send the money anyway after the banker gave me a lecture about fraud and sending money to people you've never met. :deal Further updates at the end of March, when I show up to see if the pics were photoshopped. :rofl It's this kind of service that makes extended trips possible.
  19. Forde

Forde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    bikes are generally a lot cheaper on the mainland actually due to the larger market driving prices down, but reasonably priced bikes can be had in ireland too! and the insurance would definitely be easier down south

i thought you were only here for the TT week which is why i thought it would be a waste of cash lol
  20. Forde

Forde Been here awhile

Oddometer:

fwiw 33000 is average for a bike that age here, ireland is not a big place like america and the weather isnt good as much of the time so 99% of bikers have a bike as a toy and only take it out the odd sunday. bikes do not tend to have big mileages generally.