Any women riders?

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by giddyupgirl, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Cuttle

Cuttle fuck the calm down

Oddometer:
    that, and it helps getting a bike that you don't mind dropping - seriously. Because you will drop it, more than once and as long as you wear the right gear it's really not a big deal (we all do that - in the dirt).
  2. Gitana

Gitana A work in progress

Oddometer:
    Yup. If you're going to ride in the dirt, I cannot emphasize enough the importance of a pressure suit, quality knee pads, possibly bike shorts with hip armor, good pants, a dirt helmet (better ventilation) and quality boots. You can pretty much plan on spending about $1,000 to $1,500 to get kitted out for quality gear. Yes, you can get gear for less. But do not stint on boots or your pressure suit. And yes, I advise a pressure suit more than a roost deflector. Look at it as a long-term investment. You'll wear the stuff for years.

Arai XD3 helmet on closeout $499
    Klim Dakar pants $275
    Gaerne G Midland boots $365
    RockGardn Flak Jacket pressure suit $160
    EVS knee pads $45
    Jersey $45
    Jacket $100

And that's $1489.
  3. tuffstuff

tuffstuff Livin' Life Supporter

Oddometer:
    I couldn't agree more. Thanks to cuttle for recommending the pressure suit I now wear and won't ride dirt without it. I also did not skimp on boots ... Far too important.
  4. Gota

Gota Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks ladies for the info.
    Hi Jayne I've been looking at your page you linked great info there thanks for that.
    Gitana thanks for the link to the dvd's will check them out.
    I am looking at getting new boots as my road ones probably don't give enough support and protection even for the blacktop.
    They have already split on the side and the soles are seperating from the boot itself and they aren't great for grip specially when you can't flatfoot the ground.
    I won't be doing any major off road just the odd track to a lookout etc or forestry track not quite the right bike for really major dirt adventures.
    But in time as my confidence builds and I am less paranoid about falling over things may change.
    Thanks again for your help and advice
  5. Jill Miraflores

Jill Miraflores tierra encantada

Oddometer:
    Any other women out there who ride Triumph Tigers? I have the Roadie version (which I lowered a bit). Wonderful bike!
  6. Hewby

Hewby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    currently on the road, but I call Tassie home
    Confidence? I reckon the trick is just pretend you have it until you do. Wear good gear to protect yourself and instal crash bars on the bike ( and ride with empty panniers if you need) so if you drop the bike you don't break anything! I started out after getting my license at my parents place in Victoria, Australia and headed straight down to Tassie solo the next week. fun! Such a great state for riding! Now on a bigger bike doing alaska to Patagonia solo. The reason I got my license in the first place. Enjoy it. Good luck
  7. BigE_50

BigE_50 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hewby, I just took a peek at the blog about your trip; I'm looking forward to reading it all. Your trip sounds fantastic!
  8. Gota

Gota Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Hewby
    Wow Alaska would love to do that one day.
    Enjoy your trip.
  9. lytehouse

lytehouse The Toy Lady

Oddometer:
    Been skimming thru this thread for advice on a good pair of boots for the dirt. My husband and I recently took to off road (after years on street bikes) and within a month, he's got a broken wrist and I had an bruised foot.

Anyway, live and learn, right?

My question is to Gitana....where'd you get your Gaerne boots? Did you buy them locally?
    Ya'll have so many more options for shops than we do, I just want to make the most of my time up there.
    Thank You,

Brenda
  10. Gitana

Oddometer:
    The best place to buy gear is in Arvada, MotoGear Outlet. The owners are ADV members and they have GREAT sales. However, the Gaerne G Midland boots are only available from one place: http://www.atomic-moto.com/Gaerne-G-Midland-Boots_p_351.html. I happen to like Gaerne boots a LOT. I have wide feet and they fit really, really well. I didn't want a true motocross boot for dirt riding, but I wanted something with a lot more support than my Gaerne trials boots. The G Midland fits the bill. Atomic is the only importer, and you can't get them anyplace else.

As for Colorado gear, in addition to MotoGear Outlet, there's Performance Cycle in Denver, and Apex in Colorado Springs. I have bought a lot of gear through Bike Bandit, Rocky Mountain ATV and Motorcycle Superstore as well.
  11. Cuttle

Cuttle fuck the calm down

Oddometer:
    I got lucky and found my Gaerne Explorer used on German ebay.. had them shipped to the states for about 30 bucks (maybe 70ish total). :D

Real motocross boots are tough to ride in imo; I owned some and found myself dragging the rear break by accident (no feeling with the boots) - not a good idea in gravel :lol3
  12. tuffstuff

Oddometer:
    Seems to be quite a few posts on building confidence here so thought I'd share a conversation I had today with my boyfriend. We were driving home from the Shenandoah 500 today and talking about riding and all the things we want to do. He mentioned how impressed he is with how much I have improved this year and that made me really happy because I definitely feel like I have entered a new level of skill finally.

I explained to him that the biggest difference between my riding now and even at the beginning of the year is that I have built confidence and have lost that deep fear in the pit of my stomach every time I get on the bike on new trails. That fear has changed to excitement and making me want to ride all the time! I went through the same thing when I learned to mountain bike years ago. There is healthy fear that keeps you n your toes and the fear that holds you back too much.

The challenge I find every time I try something new that seems scary, like riding in the dirt and gravel and rocks, is that I know I will get over that bad fear and I keep getting on the bike and pushing myself through it until I am able to conquer it. Some things take longer to push through the fear than others, and sometimes that fear comes back, but it's all part of the challenge and a huge part of why most of us ride!!! We are doing some the majority of women do not do and we are doing it well and experiencing life.

Get out and ride!! I am on a good high from this weekend. Can't wait until my next ride!
  13. swann

swann Just practicing...

Oddometer:
    Wise words! :clap
  14. lytehouse

lytehouse The Toy Lady

Oddometer:

Thanks for the info,I've been into MotoGear several times, great little shop.
  15. lytehouse

lytehouse The Toy Lady

Oddometer:
    I want something with a bit more support than my BMW's, but not really a true motocross boot. Also, I'm scared to buy some from the internet without trying them on.
  16. Gitana

Oddometer:
    Yup. I had the Gaerne SG12's and sold them. I could barely walk in them, nor feel the controls. Two rides, and that was it. I often wear the Gaerne Balance Oiled trials boots, but for trail riding they do not have adequate ankle support. After having my bike land on my foot during a getoff, I won't wear them on tougher trails any more. Ow. Sidi Adventure and Sidi Discovery boots are two other options a lot of people seem to like.

With regard to confidence, for me it comes and goes. This past year, I've improved my dirt riding a lot. But I biffed on my way up Webster Pass and screwed up my shoulder. I'm having rotator cuff surgery soon. And when I get back on the bike in Spring, I'll have to take some time on some easier stuff to get my head back in it. I don't know anyone who rides dirt who hasn't hurt themselves. The measure of your love of riding is whether or not you're able to get back on the bike and keep building skills. Every time you push yourself to do something that is scary, and execute it, you build that confidence. Lack of confidence can result in getting hurt worse.
  17. GrizGirl

GrizGirl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi ladies -

Just getting caught up on this thread. I have a comment about the boots - I actually bought Gitana's SG-12's and have sometimes wondered if they were overkill. Weekend before last I Rick and I were out riding what turned out to be pretty technical single track with a lot of rocks and narrow trails and steep slopes. I was trying to get my poor little DR up this one face, Rick was pushing from behind and my bike kicked left and trapped my leg behind me and against a large rock. I am convinced the boots saved my ankle from an injury. I am also convinced my Sidi Adventures that I wear for big bike forest service road rides, in spite of their good ankle support, would not have saved me from an ankle injury.

Gear is very, very important. If you are riding technical single track and forest service roads learn to ride with the motocross boots. You're right, you cannot "feel" the controls but you can learn to know where they are, you can learn to not ride the brake and to be able to control your pressure on the rear brake. I didn't even get a bruise through the boots even though the pressure on my leg/ankle was enormous. To me they are very key equipment.

As for the pressure suit - I don't like the "pressure" of the pressure suit. They feel constricting to me. I wear my chest armor with shoulder and bicep armor, along with separate elbow armor. I have had some pretty dramatic crashes and have had my front end rebound on me causing my handlebars to hit me in the chest (not uncommon, BTW, for motocross activities) and my armor has protected me well. So whether you wear a pressure suit or a chest protector, just make sure you wear something.

Finally, on confidence. This is my first year on a dirt bike after riding large dual sports for several years. Going down steep hills used to scare the crap out of me - I would get so scared I would stop moving and I would then fall over - it's really hard to stay upright when you are barely moving! Not anymore. The change started to happen when Rick asked me how I would go down something on a mountain bike (I used to race mountain bikes, years and years ago) and something clicked for me that I have been building on ever since. As others have mentioned, I oftentimes just pretend I am confident going into something - I tell myself I can do it - I get stubborn and refuse to quit and always, always remind myself that I am doing this for FUN! I have made such strides this year I have actually outgrown my DR350, which I figured would be good for a few years. The suspension just isn't adequate for some of what we are riding so I'm looking to upgrade. I suspect by next summer I will have a KTM 350 in the garage. :evil

Maybe next year I will run into some of you one the trails or maybe we can organize a women's ride here in Colorado!!!
  18. tuffstuff

Oddometer:
    :clap I want to come back to Colorado to ride (as long as I can bring my man too). I had so much fun at Breckenridge last year!

Very nice write-up btw - great great advice.
  19. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't ride dirt but if you go back to Breckneridge, PM me and I'll meet you for a beverage or something.
  20. terraunbound

terraunbound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice to see so many women adv riders - and to see there are a few nearby in Nederland! I've been riding for about 4 years now and to celebrate my upcoming decade b'day, I upgrade my thumper to this:

[​IMG]

I'm hoping the weather Wednesday is nice enough for another 'last of the season' ride. Hope to ride with some of you sometime!