1190 coolant type ?

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by SCflyer, May 19, 2014.

1. Koolranch

Koolranch NCADVR

Oddometer:
    This thread caught my eye, noticed over the weekend that I could not see the coolant in the reservoir. I have the red stuff as well. I will add the distilled water and eventually get the system flushed and refill with M5. The annoying list of things on this bike keep adding up.....

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
  2. NoSpam

NoSpam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wait a minute! KTM tells us to use the exorbitantly priced Motorex M5 coolant but they haven't used that in the bikes themselves! M5 (as I found out today) is a teal-blue color, not pink! :hmmmmm
  3. Szepy

Szepy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've never seen red/pink coolant liquid in any of bikes. The dealers always used (and sold) the blue M5.

Reading some threads it's quite weird how KTM branches behave in some countries. :)
  4. WickedKTM

WickedKTM Lost

Oddometer:
    Pink here.
  5. gunshot72

gunshot72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know the coolant draining and filling procedure for the 1190ADV? :thumb
  6. gunshot72

Oddometer:
    Right then! Just to confuse things even further I spoke with KTM UK head office technical dept. Pink stuff or green stuff can be used no problem and accidentally mixing pink and green stuffs will not cause any issues so no need to worry. According to them pink stuff should be used by the dealer supplying the bike when it's new but they seem to be using green in the UK. Doesn't fill you with confidence when the dealers are ignoring KTM HQ!

Colour of the fluid makes no difference. It's just a dye that manufacturers add and this can be any colour they choose.

Some further reading here...

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/tech-articles/coolant-antifreeze.pdf
  7. Rockwell

Rockwell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I"m guessing that this info applies to the 990 as well?

I am currently in Andorra going around the moto shop here looking for coolant. One dealer said that they're all the same and you can mic anything. I said, "ok", but I tended not to take his advice too seriously.

I am currently using this stuff: http://www.linkint.com.au/motul_motocool_factory_line.html

It contain monoethyleneglycol, using organic anti-corrosion. Not sure if this is the same as ethylene glycol?

About to do a coolant change, so I want to make sure that I get the right stuff.
  8. Redherring

Redherring Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not according to Motorex head office. They say M5 (blue) and M3 (red) should NOT be mixed, and M5 is recommended for the 1190 Adventure, but M3 is not recommended.
  9. gunshot72

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this info. Oddly my KTM dealer today told me that the 2013 1190's were supplied with green coolant and now the 2014 models are coming out of the factory with pink coolant. Marvellous eh?!

I asked about the bikes coming out of the factory dry but they said no, the 1190's have fluids already filled at production.
  10. Koolranch

Koolranch NCADVR

Oddometer:
    I added the distilled water and now the level looks good however after a ride I thought it would mix. It looks clear with no color.
  11. RobZorba

RobZorba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My '2014 was filled with fluids in Feb. "Blue" color Motorex M5 was used by the national distributor, based in Athens. The rad was dry when shipped from the factory to the distributor.
  12. gunshot72

Oddometer:
    Had my 1190 coolant flushed out today and replaced with Motorex M3.0 by my dealer. All new 1190's coming out of the factory now use M3.0 (red), not M5.0 (blue) as started in the owners manual.
  13. Redherring

Redherring Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I have also been told that by KTM, so I will be using M3 as well.
  14. MotoAdvMarc

MotoAdvMarc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The fluid in my tank was blue . . . . . . so . . . . I used

Attached Files:

15. RobZorba

RobZorba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 1190R was supplied Feb and had M5.0 (Blue)
  16. MunK

MunK Adventurer

Oddometer:

I got my 1190r the end of April. It was filled with M3, the pink stuff.

MunK
  17. VonBiker

VonBiker Work sucks and then you RIDE! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Picked mine up in May here in Colorado. Red/Pink (whatever)
  18. gunshot72

Oddometer:
    Managed to get some info direct from Motorex who say either M3.0 or M5.0 can be used in the 1190 but not mixed obviously.
  19. NoSpam

NoSpam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh for Christ's sake! I heard KTM is recommending that we all mix whatever coolant we use with one part of Maker's, which will serve to mellow out the cooling process.

:baldy
  20. NewToMe

NewToMe safety 3rd

Oddometer:
    Maxima emailed back that their Coolanol (green) was compatible with the pink/red in my radiator. Not that I don't trust them, but...
    I filled the reservoir with the green and have my fingers crossed.
    You would think that part of the plan would be to make sure whatever you use and recommend is compatible with everything else on the market. Antifreeze/coolant is one fluid that when you need it, you need it. You shouldn't use something exotic if topping off with what you can readily obtain will kill the engine.