LOOK HERE FOR FORUM CONTENTS GSpot FAQ

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by tagesk, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Minneapolis (don't even ask how i end up here.
    I have a question that maybe is going to get me in a lot of Trouble, But I need to ask it anyway, well is mire a "suggest/Question".

How come we have this amazing source of information (on this very posting) but people keep asking the very same questions day in and day out about Tires, oils, gasoline, pipes, light bulbs, etc, Can we just make "Monthly Buckets" or something like it and just toss all the related questions & answers into this "Hubs" in hopes to keep the forum more organize and also keeping more relevant, innovative and interesting posting on the top for longer.

Again just a idea, But man if you have being a member for ten years like me, you have to agree is getting kind of old to read the same thing again and again and AGAIN SOME More.

Ps: Yes I do know the "Search" function is totally dysfunctional and it SucksGoatsAss
  2. johnjen

johnjen Now, even more NOW!…

Oddometer:
    It is the way of things on these sites. Many don't know where to look and because it's easier to just ask, as in start another thread, that’s what happens.

And for those who are new to the site it helps them 'get involved' by answering and asking questions. And so the cycle repeats. And along the way new stuff gets added and old stuff gets brought back up and the cycle repeats.

Such is the way of popular web sites.

JJ
  3. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    I tried to watch out for the obvious ones (What oil to use?) and jump in with a "Check out the GSpot FAQ".

But it is an uphill battle, I am sorry to report. Lately I have come to the conclusion that is less less of a burden
    on ADVrider.com to digest (yet) another thread then for me to try to catch them early.

[TaSK]
  4. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Minneapolis (don't even ask how i end up here.
    Come On John that is kind of a big excuse more than anything else, Just look at the Thumper Forum for example, Hell I feel Scare shitless to ask a question there about my 640ADV since everything is really well organize and most of the time you can find all your answers with just a little reading.

I don't know I still think the "MegaThreadfest" concept makes sense to organize the crap a little more..

Then again I will Hate you have your Job, Man I will Nuke half the postings that is for sure.
  5. johnjen

johnjen Now, even more NOW!…

Oddometer:
    Ricky, it's been this way since the beginning. We don't nuke posts, never had. Yeah we move them when needed and in some forums they might get merged, but he-doggies that is a TON of work and usually raises a shit storm to boot.

If some one or a group wants to stay on top of GSpot-Oilheads in real time with it's nearly 2 pages of thread changes/additions PER DAY. I guarantee ya they won't last a month before burn out kicks in. And that is just 1/2 of GSpot, let alone the rest of the site.

The phrase herding cats is an apt analogy for a reason. There are 3-4,000 active participants during the majority of the day and it falls off to around 1,000 late at night. Now if you or anyone else wants to volunteer to create a master index of all the topics in GSpot I'll gladly lend them a hand. In fact Tagesk's FAQ thread is a wonderful resource but most n00bs don't seem to know about it, let alone use it.

That is both the magic and the complexity of ADV rider. Which is why it takes n00bs a while to figure out what is where and who is who. We done growed up big time. And with that growth comes complexity and shear numbers, of everything.

My advice is to use google search to find the info you want. For instance when I used google to search for the Bosch FR7LD+ spark plugs, ADV came up as the 1st hit, and my post that mentioned them in particular.

There is a way to find what you are looking for you just need to know how.

JJ
    bigjohnsd likes this.
  6. Effigy

Effigy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys :)

One question: I let my bike hit the ground while taking it a little off-road and I damaged the right cylinder (only cosmetics...) but its a shame to see it like that and I bought one on ebay and I'm waiting for it. So what I'm questioning is that anyone knows where to find a guide to change it myself or is it too complicated?
  7. alainmax

alainmax ca vaut le detour !!

Oddometer:
    yes, i have used this site x 3 years and just noticed this thread (granted I'm mainly in "beast".
    Just wanted to sincerely thank Tagesk, Johnjen and every one for their fantastic work and dedication. The resources are phenominal and i learn a ton every day (or so).:clap

My hat to you guys
  8. Thinc2

Thinc2 Paciugo

Oddometer:
  9. majlee_vmi

majlee_vmi Tidewater 41009

Oddometer:
    Awesome resource - thanks.
    One question for the experts. I am looking for torque values - specifically the handlebar hardware so I can adjust the handlebar.

I worked my way to R1200gs.info and found values there. The blurb states it is based on a 2005 GS. Have there been any changes I should be aware of to torque values for a 2009?

URL to torque values page.

http://www.r1200gs.info/misc/torque.html

thanks

Lee
  10. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    I don't know anything about spark plugs on the continent where you live, but I can tell you that the GSpot FAQ was started in 2008. It is continuously updated.
    Questions about issues not related to the GSpot FAQ Per Se should be asked in a new thread. Not in this one.

[TaSK]
  11. miro9

miro9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a great resourse, thank you for doing it. I think it's just missing an electrical info (CANBUS, bulbs to use, connecting additional accessories such as heated gear, etc).

In any case, thank you.
  12. rod172

rod172 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Globeriders DVD. Covers a lot of different tips and tricks associated with maintenance and preparation.

When it comes to step by step maintenance, it doesn't get much better than Jim Von Baden's DVDs. Extremely informative and unbiased. http://www.jimvonbaden.com

My .02...
    bigjohnsd likes this.
  13. mka

mka Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi

first just to say what an incredible thread..............i have been reading it and re-reading it and it is super explanatory in every way, so well done big time and mucho appreciated.

i wasn't sure where to put this stupid question so if this is the wrong place i do apologise in advance.

my stupid question relates to the exhaust on a 2008 r1200gs..................i have the bog standard that comes with the bike.............but i thought i would really like a super noisy burbly type of noise and on other bikes i have the arrow exhaust...............however i have checked out many places online for more info on this topic but it is a bit sketchy (either that or i'm not good at searching !) i find that i feel safer (!) if riding a bike with a big noise level and would like to upgrade/change but would really appreciate any and all advice on this matter, even if the advice is to leave well enough alone !

also, i'm a big fan of Tagesk and like himself i just love the Italian lifestyle and all it offers..............unfortunately i only can travel there and back from ireland, at least for the moment, but any chance i get i'm there...................so big thank you for all the adventures too Tagesk.

kind regards and if you guys are EVER in the area of the west/north west of ireland be sure to let me know..............you'll be very welcome for sure !
  14. firstr8

firstr8 Walter Mitty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome FAQ:

Any chance there is a comparison between the GS and the GS Adventure?

I understand that opinions will vary among members, but I have not seen a spec compare between the two. (and as others have confirmed, the Search function isn't the greatest.

I've been reading/searching but haven't seen anything yet.

It would help when deciding between the two beasts.
  15. Enichkin

Enichkin n00b

Oddometer:
    stankenpankens likes this.
  16. RandM

RandM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mornington Peninsula, Victoria - Australia.
    Hi people, being my first post here, I'd like to mention how happy I am to have found Adv Rider - it's a treasure trove of info. and much appreciated. It's also
    worth mentioning straight up that while I'm handy with a spanner and have maintained my own vehicles for over 40 yrs, I'm not a pro spanner man and thus have gaps in my knowledge base having learning mostly what's applicable to my needs.
    I've been lurking and learning as much as I can and now have leads to answer most of my Q's but - following the best traditions - the answers to some questions just suggest more questions.

In the FAQ regarding over torqued bolts it's mentioned that the torque ratings are calculated for dry, non lubricated bolts/nuts.

I was told in my youth that unless a thread is lubricated you can't be sure that it has tightened up cleanly - that it may have a tight spot giving a false reading - thus you always lubricate the thread.

Is there a rule of thumb for recalculating the given torque rating for a lubricated thread?

EG : If the unlubed T rating is 100Nm - the lubed rating is 80% or 80Nm?

RandM.
  17. Wandergives

Wandergives Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jim. I found this thread extremely helpful when I was looking for my first GS. Consulted it many many times. Any chance we can get this stickied again, or at least put in the resource section for easy reference? It really is valuable source of info for newbies to the GS world.
  18. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer

Oddometer:
    It's been put back as a sticky, cleaned up a bit, and closed to new replies for now. @tagesk has not been active here since 2015, so is not actively maintaining the thread. We'll work to get another compendium thread for what's come up since then.
    gonzomup, DaveC1 and Wandergives like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.