Compact/Midsize trucks

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by levain, Oct 27, 2012.

1. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, occasionally AZ
    Update- "Salesman" Robert Hartley called me back after 35 minutes to say it got sold. Can anyone say "typical used car salesman'? If you ever want to get boned you should give him a call at 301-305-7242. That's Darcar Toyota of Frederick, Maryland. 250 mile round trip for nothing.
  2. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    That sucks on the truck, and why i never really drive long distances for vehicles because when i find the one i want its always sold just before i get there.
    At the ford dealer once had them try to get me in a bid war with someone else on a used truck, i walked away and found a better truck cheaper and haven't stepped foot in the place since.
  3. HardCase

HardCase winter is coming

Oddometer:
    Yabbut I'll betcha that Mr. Hartley told you to come on down anyway and look at all the other great deals they have on the lot!

Bummer, man.
  4. madeouttaglass

Oddometer:
    This is only the second time out of many that I got the short end. The other was worse when I flew to Florida and found the car had been pulled out of a swamp, then cleaned up.- I'm not kidding. Like you, it ended up for the best as I took a few days off and found a better deal than what I flew down for. There have been many terrific deals including my Ural in my sig line.
    What's too bad is the salesman was a douche. As I said, I agreed to his price and did my best to put down a deposit. I will continue to buy out of state. I can't afford new and the NY salt eats things up. My 12 year old Tundra has had more than it's share of salt related issues. I saw plenty of smaller Tacomas in mint shape when we were out west this past spring. I'll probably end up riding the FJR out west to find one next spring, then load the bike into whatever I find there.
  5. rob feature

rob feature pull my finger

Oddometer:

I looked for 2 years before I found one. I mean, I found plenty of 'em, but they were either grossly overpriced or beat to shit or had a heavy smoker for an owner or something.

Then this showed up on Craigslist one day

[​IMG]

With right at 100k miles. I talked the guy down to 10 - like it sits; new tires, topper, bedliner, fresh water pump/timing belt and pristine inside. The V6 is getting an honest 20 in mostly city driving. PO said he never took it offroad - just put those tires on it for snow - and it looks it. It could use shocks, but that's gonna get to wait 'till next Summer.

So there are some good deals to be found on the older Tacos...just gotta keep your ear to the ground.
  6. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its funny because when i was looking for my truck i delt with all the chevy dealers around and they'd sell the truck or just plain not bother dealing with you. I had given up when i spotted my trucj sitting at the toyota dealer so went in and next day picked it up getting a year older truck but was a crew cab and less miles.
    I agree with you on the rust because my old truck the bodym engine/tranny were all good and all the maintence stuff i had replaced but the underside was just eating away and could see the writing on the wall so traded it off. I do like your plan and your bike is one i've been dreaming over.
  7. EduardoMas

EduardoMas Spartan Overlander

Oddometer:
    Those smaller Tacomas are just the right size, I understand the disappointment with the sale process. He should have called you (even if collect) to give you a chance to pay your deposit.

But the reason for this reply is:

RUSTCHECK: The day I took the '99 4Runner from the dealership I drove straight to the rustproofer. Researched the three major offerings in the market at the time (took samples home and used salt spray and heat... retentive? yes, but a truck is a lot of cash to just trust marketers).
    After these many years the SR5, 5 speed, white, 160.000 Kms is still mint. I reapplied every November (unless traveling) before the salt gets used.
    So no signs of the "R" thing. It drives around Toronto & parks underground (mildly heated).

You must have rustproofers in your area. If not, drive North and use the brand above. The right applicator is key, but mine is far from the border.
    Note that the rubbers will soften and expand with the oil they spray, but if you just keep an eye on the sipping and clean for about 3 days after the application they don't degrade.

Enjoy your next Toyota!
  8. madeouttaglass

Oddometer:
    Thanks for letting me vent. I just wrote the dealer thanking them for my wonderful day.
  9. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got my windshield smashed by a rock from a construction trailer last week, well company driver and another did a full detail on the trailer before driving it that day so nope not gonna pay, my insurance has a 250 deduc so only would save me 30 bucks so my christmas present is paying for it. I paid the insurance $1100 for the year and this is the 2nd time when i needed them that its sorry.
  10. Icewalker

Icewalker Conundrum

Oddometer:
  11. madeouttaglass

Oddometer:
    They don't get much more compact (or fun) than a Samurai. I bought this one eight years ago as a spare. We've had another one for about 14 years. I thought we'd have killed the older one a long time ago. Not happening. Time to move this little bugger.

http://rochester.craigslist.org/cto/3446383553.html
  12. discochris

discochris Stayin' Alive

Oddometer:
    Sometimes the Twin Cities, Sometimes NW Wisconsin
    Different truck entirely. I thought that Ford had been building the new Ranger in Thailand for the Australian market, and this might be it. The old Ranger was built here in St. Paul, and Ford sadly shut that plant down this year after nearly 100 years of car production in the Twin Cities.:cry

I asked a Ford rep last year if there was any plan to bring the new Ranger to the US, and was told no.
  13. clevishook

clevishook stevedore

Oddometer:

That is sad. I have had two Rangers and they are great for suburban duty I see lots of them pulling commercial and contractor duty. The F 150 is nice but too big for shopping center parking. Will miss the Ranger, someone please tell Ford.
  14. agmoto

agmoto Gôremā

Oddometer:
    Last year I made the switch from a 2001 Subaru Outback wagon, to a 2000 Ford Ranger 4.0 4x4. I miss the 25mpg I got with the Suby, while pulling my small moto trailer, and the heated leather seats, but other than that, the Ranger has been quite the nice truck. The 5 speed keeps it fun enough too.

Biggest complaint I had with the thing was the open rear differential. Even my suby had an lsd in the rear. Much preferred for how I drive. I solved the problem installing a Power-Trax Lock Right autolocker in the rear. Makes some noise in parking lots, but keeps both rear wheels putting power down.

Also installed a Sony large screen head unit in it. Very nice with the rear camera I added. Makes hooking up the trailer a breeze. Also can give the passenger a way to kill time on trips, as you can watch DVD's or AVI files off of a usb drive on the thing.

Truck had no real issue pulling a 7x14 enclosed trailer (aluminum), and actually pulled it better than our 6x10 enclosed (steel). Got the same MPG as a friends EcoBoost F150 too, but half the interior room :lol3
    [​IMG]

Fits 2 bikes & gear just fine, and even better when 1 bike is on the hitch carrier:
    [​IMG]

A bigger truck may be "better", but I just like this thing. I've been tracking my mileage on it here: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/andrewgore/ranger Winter gas & the speedo needing calibration (31's) are hurting the MPG, but what yah gonna do.

Andrew
  15. scootertrash

scootertrash Mobile Homie

Oddometer:
    Got off a rig in OK with time to kill, so I decided to go to Colorado and put my utility shell camper thru it's paces. Long story short, I spotted the truck I was going to buy next year anyway at a dealer in Boulder. It's a 2008 Tacoma Access cab with the 4.0l V6, 5spd auto, 4x4, non-TRD. I made a deal on the spot and just got my camper moved over to it.
    The good:
    Cab is much roomier and nicer than my 2004, the suicide doors are awesome for not having to crawl over folded seats.
    Power is very good at 236 hp vs the 142 my 2.4l I4 produces. I took the truck to Boulder last weekend sans the camper and it was great for power and handling. This truck perfectly suits my nomadic lifestyle and being used, the payment is very affordable and well below my truck allowance.
    The bad:
    From least annoying to most:
    +None of the power outlets stay on with the key turned off and the procedure for correcting that was much more involved than when I did it to my 2004. I ran a 12V ext cord off the battery into the glovebox, so my rat nest of chargers are hidden, very tidy, inexpensive and easy. No drilling done at all.
    +No aux input on the head unit on a 2008?? C'mon Toyota, what is your deal? I'll have to install an adapter to bring out a 3.5mm jack. Per the youtube vide, pulling the radio is pretty easy, but still annoying to have to do it at all.
    +The worst and inexcusable problem is the WEAK REAR SPRINGS! I put my 300lb shell in and contents, maybe 600lbs total and this truck is sitting on the bumpstops! My previous '04 had an add a leaf and it was a little low but very driveable. I put in a SuperSpring and got all of the clearance back. I called Toyota and they won't help me because it's out of warranty at almost 60k miles. They want $1800 for new rear springs and shocks. Getting new SuperSprings on next Friday for $500 installed (current ones don't work) to get a truck that can actually be used like a truck.
    Other than that, I love the truck. I'm keep the paid-off '04 as a back up and I'm actually rebuilding my credit after it tanked from my divorce 4 years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2004 with the Durashell camper.
    [​IMG]

2008 with the Durashell.

[​IMG]
    Getting these black Mickey Thompson rims installed at the same time as the springs:

[​IMG]
  16. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:

A 6 cyl on the Subie?
  17. PachmanP

PachmanP Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah a couple of them have flat 6's.
  18. agmoto

agmoto Gôremā

Oddometer:
    Nah, I had the 4cyl 2.5l. Not a bad vehicle, but just so bland to me.

Andrew
  19. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    I asked because I have the 4 cyl in a Forester and wondered how well I could tow a bike or two.

Thanks!
  20. invicta1

invicta1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I looked at tacomas, but the salesmen seemed to think they were made of gold. Looked at the Frontiers - better torque and hp, disks all around, stronger frame, and 3k under invoice. Maybe 8k less than a sim. tacoma? Same ratings from sites like edmunds, owner reviews, or very similar. 70ks later and not a problem, well other than me driving an atv thru it, and it off a woods road. But its happy still. Downsides: MPG - pretty sucky, but this is similar to the diaper problem (disposable or cotton, both a nightmare, you can't win) - - no pickup gets decent mpg. Mine will get as high as 25 on the highway, and as low as 16 in town. Avg now with country living and city work is 18-20. Not happy about that, dont need 260 horses to move atvs and stuff around, but oh well. Somebody pm me when a 30mpg pickup comes on the market. I'll be first in line.