XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. kdennan

kdennan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just took my new bike on it's first real shake down ride since I got it.
    I did the dave's mods, tossed the snorkel, uni-filter, 52/155 jetting and an FMF Q.
    I got a 48t sprocket and of course it doesn't fit the stock chain. How many links are needed for the 15/48 combo?
    And the trailwings are deadly in the woods! Especially wet woods with rocks and rooties.
    If I get the D606's, what tire pressure (lowest) can I get away with without rim locks?
    What sizes front and rear?
    The suspension is hack too. It's ok, but it needs work. For now, I have to run it. Any thoughts on where to put the clickers on the forks and shock? I live in Vermont and the trails are awesome and gnarly. Nothing but rocks and roots. (I did put in the progressive fork springs)
    Thanks
  2. kdennan

kdennan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The more I think about it, I will probably just get Tubliss and new tires that I can run at 10psi in the rear and 12 up front.
    I know the D606 seems to be the tire of choice, but it looks like that is considered great out west.
    Is it a good tire for any of you here in the northeast?
    Or, what's better?
    For woods I always ran the Pirelli MT 16 rear (120) and the Bridgestone M59 front
    Obviously they're not DOT. I'm not as concerned about that as much as longevity. I know if I run the MT16 on the pavement for very long it will wear out pretty quickly.
  3. ThumpnRed

ThumpnRed Pig Wrangler

Oddometer:
    The D606 is far from the tire of choice for the front. I ran one... hated it. The MT21 is a lot more sure footed up front than the D606. D606 rear and MT21 front is a good combo. If you dont need DOT, check out a D952 rear. I ran one last year and it did very well in the dirt.
  4. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^ +1

606 rear, MT21 front
  5. kdennan

kdennan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys,
    I'm just wondering how well they do back east? It's wet, with black goo smattered on baby head rocks and slick roots.
    For woods, we all run MT16's out back and the Bridgestone M59 up front.
    I think I'd chew through an MT16 pretty quick as a DS tire though.
    Maybe I should go back to the cheap old Cheng Shin C755 (MT16 copy)
  6. vector_dumb

vector_dumb Happier Here

Oddometer:
    Time to consult the oracle(s)...:bow

Recently got a bit of a fixer upper which runs pretty well. The only issue of note is a bit of a weak idle. About every 5 seconds it will skip a beat. The bike hasn't stalled out on me, but it's not exactly confidence inspiring when sitting at a red light at a busy intersection. The bike will still skip a beat at slow speeds (say until 20% throttle). The bike runs smoothly at speed.

I'm guessing this is a fuel delivery issue. The bike has been desmogged, desnorkeled, uni filter, crappy cobra exhaust, and appeared to have Dave's mods. Opened up the carb and found the needle was not shimmed, slide not drilled, #50 pilot jet, #152 main jet. Hmmm...

So would the carb settings possibly explain my idle condition (pilot jet too lean)? Is it recommended I complete Daves Mods and go w/ a 52 (or 55) pilot and a 155 main? (note: at sea level)

I'm not trying to wring all potential power out of the engine. I'd much prefer a responsive and well running bike. My only complaint is just the idle isn't as solid as it should be. (Throttle response is good, power good, currently no flat spots...)

Thanks for the tips!
  7. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:

I think you'll find a carb vacuum line or intake leak.
  8. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Weekend activities:

Soon to end, Sunday beach ride.

[​IMG]

Dinner on the beach.

[​IMG]
  9. techforlife

techforlife CDI REPAIR

Oddometer:

Beeeeeeerrrrrrrr:clap

gettin too hot to ride Fritz???????? i can just imagine summer heat would cut riding down some..

B
  10. vector_dumb

vector_dumb Happier Here

Oddometer:

Before I took out the carb I did check to make sure that the venturi from the airbox and the carb exit/engine inlet connector dealie where connected to the carb well. No observed problems there.

Anybody suggest places to look for a vacuum leak? I'm not totally sure which tube is for what. If anybody has a pic handy of how your tubes are set up on the carb I'd appreciate it. The fische isn't the best in this area. All the tubes look good, but maybe the routing or capping is off.
    [​IMG]

Thanks!
  11. kdennan

kdennan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you ever heard of the IRC TR8 Battle Rally?
    It looks more aggressive than the TKC80, which I had on my beemer and was not impressed with it's real dirt ability.
    But I'm leaning towards the Dunny rear anyway at this point.
    I read reviews on Motorcycle Superstore and guys like the D606 rear with the TR8 front.
    I'll get Motion Pro rim locks and heavy duty tubes so I can run good pressure
  12. vector_dumb

vector_dumb Happier Here

Oddometer:
    Looks like I may have found the answer to my own question:
    http://www.4strokes.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16361

Pics in the link are for a california carb, but I guess if you ignore the extra nipple all other hose routing/blockoff should be the same.... I think.

13. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, too hot is just something we deal with. We're tough down here. In fact I am having a breakfast taco made of 6 penny nails as I type this.

The " soon to end " means the photo was taken just before packing up.
  14. XR650L_Dave

XR650L_Dave Long timer

Oddometer:

How many miles do you need to get per dollar?

I know the MT-21 rear is good on the terrain you mention, a lot of mud and it will pack up but it is good on wet rocks.

The XCMH is the best off-road DOT tire I've used yet, but won't last as long as an MT-21. A 140 series MT-21 is one serious tire, much more aggressive than the pics on the web relate.

I would say if the front only needs to last 2x the rear, run an XCMH front, good street manners, and it and the tire it replaced in the pirelli lineup are the only ones that don't ski the front in the mud, and also don't fold the knobs under heavy braking.

I had a scorpion pro front and hated it, knobs folded under heavy turn forces, and it was low-profile, bike wanted to fall-in on turns.

I will try a K760 next just to check the $$/mile/traction against the XCMH.

The teraflex is to me the traction king in sand and mud, but not as good on wet rock as the MT-21 I think, and the t-flex takes more effort to get the bike to turn.
  15. nic579

nic579 x

Oddometer:
    Decided to roll my own so I can have it clamp to the FCR rather than using adhesive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. Wattner

Wattner Long timer

Oddometer:

Dave,

What's up!

Have you guys tried a MotoZ? They are DOT, have great hook up and last a long time.... Kinda loud on the highway, but an ok trade off

http://www.brapoffroad.com/motoz/

I've slowly burned off all my Scorpions, MT-21's and other tires to go with the Z's...
  17. XR650L_Dave

XR650L_Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't bought a tire in a while, hadn't realized these were actually 'here' and 'dot'.

Which is better, the enduro S/T or I/T?

S/T
    [​IMG]

I/T
    [​IMG]
  18. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    I rode Mike Gilkey's SE from Cabo to TJ on two day old tires after stage 3&4 of the mex1K, 1000 road miles back and there was still meat on it. Contact crankshaft here on adv. he's a reseller. Tell him I sent you. See what happens.
  19. KyoXR

KyoXR Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer:
    I like the look of the S/T for the front, I wouldn't mind giving that one a try.
  20. Wattner

Wattner Long timer

Oddometer:
    ST front and I/T or desert rear.... Fantastic combo.

Got a new front and a Terra-Flex for the new wheels for the sand here in Florida...

The rear Z still looks 90% after a ton of miles on the other wheel

Great stuff!

Great news Crankshaft is a dealer