Best 1200GS tank bag?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by SR1, Apr 30, 2008.

1. SR1

SR1 We gotta get outta this place!

Oddometer:
    Yes, I know there's an old thread, but I wonder if there are any new products out there? I just need a small one, with a map pocket. The quick detach style might be best, I'm not sure how the strap systems work with the GS tank. Thanks for whatever advice you guys have.
  2. v8toilet

v8toilet Nothing to see here.

Oddometer:
    Marsee made a pretty small bag with a map pocket. I think the Chicane (out of business :cry) is the best on the R1200GS, unless you fit a Wolfman explorer on there but thats not small at all.
  3. Borracho

Borracho EDDIE WOULD GO

Oddometer:
  4. Bread Pitt

Bread Pitt Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. SR1

Oddometer:
    Well, the Touratech one is really good looking for my needs, but I am going to go with the Bags Connection Day Pack II or whatever. I like the idea of not using straps this time around. It's small and I can add an optional map pocket. We'll see how it goes.
  7. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's big enough to carry a tortoise :lol3

[​IMG]
  8. Paul Mihalka

Paul Mihalka Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Bag-connection and Marsee Corona bags that use the screws of the gas cap for the mount will not work on the 2008 R1200GS. The caps are now flush mounted and to get to the bolts you have to open the gas cap.
  9. RoadRashed

RoadRashed Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    I use a Tour Master Super Mini tank bag:<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/71/1553/ITEM/Tour-Master-Super-Mini-Tank-Bag.aspx<o:p></o:p>
    It’s pretty inexpensive ($40-$60) and small. It is enough to hold gloves, sunglasses, small flash light, and a kickstand plate etc. There is also a removable map case. It also has an audio pass through which worked well for power to a cell phone charger I keep in there, and I tuck the audio cable for the helmet in there when I am not using it.:evil <o:p></o:p>
    I have the strap version. The front is under the triple clamp, and the back is a loop attached to the thing that holds the owners manual below the seat. I only have to unclip one of the two clips on the front and slide it to the side to fuel up. Sorry I don’t have any pictures. Feel free to send me a PM if you would like to see some photos. <o:p></o:p>
    I really like the GS and TT ones, but just didn’t want to spend the $$ yet, since I really don’t like tank bags, but they are really convenient. I used the same bag on the rear of my GT. It could be a wee bit bigger, it seems hard to find a good midsize bag.:scratch

RR <o:p></o:p>
  10. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Maybe you should have gotten the Mini instead of the super-mini.

I have the super-mini and really like it!

[​IMG]

Jim :brow
  11. Bread Pitt

Bread Pitt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well that is one way for BMW to encourage new GS owners to buy there bags...by forcing you to use straps or adhesive to secure your bag now. I'll count that move as another NON-improvement on the 2008 GS. The 2007 model looks better and better all the time.
  12. RoadRashed

RoadRashed Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    Maybe I should have worded that differently. Super Mini works great for me, perhaps having a larger one for longer camping trips would be nice, but the super mini has worked great so far on many trips and around town.

<o:p></o:p>
    When I was looking for one, it seemed hard to find the right size. Many of them were just too big or too expensive for my taste (a tank bag should not cost $300 IMO), and it didn't look like they would sit on the GS tank (plastic cover :scratch) well. Also, it was hard to find a strap bag, most of the ones local were magnetic…:huh<o:p></o:p>

The Super Mini was the best one for me with a reasonalbe price, however I would have liked to seen some of the TT ones up close since they look very nice, but quite a bit more in price….I think I could replace my super mini several times for what they cost:deal :eek1

RR
    <o:p></o:p>

13. B.E. Coyote

B.E. Coyote (Super-Genius)

Oddometer:
    Steve, I had many tank bags on that bike and the best I came up with was the smaller cortech bags.

Had thoughts of installing magnetts under the plastic so I could use a magnetic bag but never got around to it.

IMHO the chicane bag and BMW bag were way too big.
  14. SR1

Oddometer:
    JVB, how are you attaching your Super Mini? Do you have it on a tankring and a plate or something else?

I'm liking the looks of the Super Mini, it is about the right size. How is fuelling access?

Brian, I agree, a small tank bag is best for this bike. My Sprint has plenty of real estate on the top of the tank for a big bag, but the GS needs a small one up there. If I need a little more space without putting the Micatechs on, I'll just have a small tailbag on the pillion seat, or the Givi trunk at most.
  15. Black_Corsair

Black_Corsair GS user

Oddometer:
    I've sold almost immediatly the Touratech and bought two different Famsa bags almost at the same price. Much better. www.famsa.it or ebay
  16. AmuleK

AmuleK On a bike, no one asks "are we there yet?"

Oddometer:
    This is what I am going with for a small bag. I like the fact that they are waterproof, hug the tank really well and are quick on and off. My phone or Ipod fits perfectly there in the impression under the map cover.

More photos here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336295

Good Luck! AmuleK

Attached Files:

17. fixinbones

fixinbones Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hes using an SW motech tank ring system mounted to the bottom of the super mini.
  18. Hotspice

Hotspice Satellites not acquired Supporter

Oddometer:
  19. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    I am useing the SWMototech mount. It is very convenient.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jim :brow
  20. mistercindy

mistercindy In a state of equilibrium

Oddometer:
    North Dallas 'burb in a box made of ticky tacky.
    I've used the Marsee Corona Rocket Pocket 11 ltr tankbag for a couple of years. Like some others on this thead it fits above the tank. Its very clean (no straps, etc...), very well made, solid as a rock (a gale force cross wind won't move it), easy to remove for refueling, and the waterproof cover works. My only gripe is that the map holder is too small (best map holder award belongs to the Touratech bags, IMHO). And at around $250 it ain't cheap. I have a love/hate relationship with tankbags, and all things considered I like the 11 ltr Marsee Corona a lot. Marsee also makes the Corona in a 20 ltr bag.

Pics from ascycles.com:

[​IMG]

BTW, if you get it don't be surprised if the magnets go nuts on you because they're very powerful and will inadvertently attach to one another when they shouldn't do so. I fought that for a while, but then realized that they aren't need for a secure attachment, so now I just ignore them.

Is that right? Pretty shitty, IMHO.:pissed