KTM LC4 rear tail light

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by AdventureDave, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Bo_9

Bo_9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine got bad enough the springy tabs on the socket broke. I picked up a metal 'trailer' bulb socket and cut a hole in the stock socket so I could epoxy it in place. I haven't had any trouble since then.

Definitely going to look for that fender since now my reflector has started disintegrating.:rofl
  2. Bo_9

Bo_9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:
    My rear fender was cracked and the lens too when I got it.
    So I replaced the taillight with a generic LED tail/brake from ebay.
    I too had the light issues and the LED one is 3x as bright as the OEM one.
    I need to get a fender still to replace the stock one with a light.
    Seems like to memory it was a 24 led one but I don't remember who I bought it from. I replaced the license plate light with it.
    So here is how it looks at the moment.
    [​IMG]
    With a taillightless fender it would look almost stock.
  4. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:

i was looking at those the other day. i don't think they will work without some modifications. the stock piece is a little different. but who knows, that's probably a generic photo and the piece may look completely diff when you get it. unfortunately, they don't list any LC4 models in their fitment guide.

for $23 though, it may be worth it to find out. hopefully someone who "owns" one of those bikes above will be able to chime in with some part numbers.

laramie :beer
  5. Bo_9

Bo_9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. katumo_jtb

katumo_jtb bogus journeyer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately I think the Duke (and therefore LC4) fitment is a mistake on that web site. All the other bikes in that list are racing models that have much smaller/narrower rear fenders. In the picture it looks a lot narrower than other LC4 fenders too (assuming it's not a stock photo).

Anything could work with enough modification though.
  7. Bo_9

Bo_9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well Neither of those is a direct bolt on from the looks of the stocker on mine. The first one I put above is close and could probably be grafted onto the front half of the stock fender.
  8. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    cemoto has a dealer here I bought a white sm fender..

http://motoplasticsus.com/

he is not the best business man but is the us dist..

I have used both brand fenders (the UFO actually has 2 PN's one with a under fender with a brake light and licence area) both the UFO and Cemoto fit easily and are drilled correctly.. I have been doing work on my bike and will have 2 different set ups with a led tail lights and rally type set up for you guys to check out soon.. and they both fit well BTW

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cemoto flavor shorter and rounded off without a under fender option or brakelight

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

UFO without light (but I have it)

the other generic fenders I would not even try...

Pity Acerbis doesnt make a rear fender.. but they do make led brake light licence plate under fenders that I will try too..
  9. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:
    How about just telling us which one fits the best and what mods needed to make it work? :ear
  10. SikDMAX

SikDMAX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Marking this... Interested in the bikemonkey led.
  11. AdventureDave

AdventureDave MMMMM Bundy!

Oddometer:
    I finally picked up my new rear light from KTM today $90.:eek1 I think I will order an LED light and try and wire it into the old one somehow.

I will follow this with interest though cause if someone comes up with a simple replacement option I will consider trying.

Cheers

David
  12. tdreyer

tdreyer KTiM

Oddometer:
    Ya know, I'm gonna work on mine tonight. I think I'm gonna go down to the parts store and buy a replacement trailer socket, then see about grafting it to the OEM socket.

My tabs need to be pulled up every so often and my bulbs do get worn from vibs. I found that by adding solder and making it thicker helps. I started doing this to 1157 replacements. Now I have an LED that I bought from AutoZone in a pack of 2 for $25 or so. It has worked well for a year now but I'm sure the contacts are in need of "adjustment" again as it just stopped working.

As far a the whole bulb base melting :eek1 I'd say there is a more serious issue going on there.

My only sure fire way of having a tail light is my pelican case top box with an LED trailer light added to the back and wired to the brake light wiring.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I know it does not look the best on my Sumo, but it is invaluable on my daily 60+ commute and that light definitely gets me seen.
  13. SikDMAX

SikDMAX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought the $20 SuperBrightLED setup for my LC4 tail and it lasted all of 300 miles or so before the vibes killed it. I actually got 1 halogen bulb to last longer than it on a ride last weekend!

I sell Whelen LED lighting for Police/Fire use - Im going to order up a few TIR3 Red LED heads and play with some mounting for a tail setup. I WANT TO BE SEEN!
  14. wrk2surf

Oddometer:
  15. Bo_9

Bo_9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. wrk2surf

Oddometer:
    The first link is a UFO and is the orange one I have in the photo in my earlier post this fits the newer style sub frame.. and is the correct part .. drilled and ready and as I said also comes in a option with a tail light under fender.. if you look at the page it has two on the bottom on with and one without tail light.. http://www.mdracingproducts.co.uk/products/660-smc-640-lc4/

mine is the newer raised cross bar... but have heard of people using spacers for the older flat style to accomodate the newer fender.

dont think the acerbis (second link) will fit but have yet to try..

I have also pondered going to the older version flat rear fender and side plates but that looses an inch or two in rear travel and I have rubbed tires and cracked fenders on the newer style so would have to do a little suspension work and weld a new flat bar on..
  17. katumo_jtb

katumo_jtb bogus journeyer

Oddometer:
    I have used both an old and new subframe, and the evidence I see of bottoming out is near the seat post, not the rear cross-over thing. I'm not sure the extra clearance back there is important. However I have not busted through a rear fender before so I'm pretty sure you ride a lot harder than I do.
  18. Bo_9

Bo_9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

Just what I needed! :D
  19. BRYANDENNY71

BRYANDENNY71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a '99 & did a rear end conversion. I have the newer subframe but have yet to put it on. All I did was make some spacers to sit between the earlier model lower subframe rear cross brace & the newer taller rear fender & match drilled the holes in the fender thru the subframe cross brace.

All in all was really easy. Everything else fit fine.

I used the UFO s/m style rear fender & I fitted the taillight/license plate holder from my '06 450 exc. Tried the cheapo mini led blinkers.....rattled one set apart & melted the other set after putting on the P/C pipe. So I got some of the SICASS flush mount led blinkers. They are awesome. Then I found the later model rack since the rack that was on the bike wont fit the newer taller rear fender.

On the exc taillight I had the trim the plastic arms that normally bolt to the exc subframe, drilled a couple holes to match the lc4 subframe cross brace & a 3rd hole in the middle of the fender & thru the tallight/license plate holder............& VIOLA!!

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After After:
    [​IMG]
  20. Cruiser

Cruiser Cruiser.. 16 beta 350rr, 2003 KTM 625sxc

Oddometer:
    This is the exact UFO fender I put on my 625sxc. I had picked it up from Denis Kirk but it seams they no longer sell that part. Great find on a vendor selling it!! If I still had my lc4 I'd buy 2 just for the shelf.