1190 Adventure slow leak on rear tire

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by madatter, Jul 5, 2014.

1. madatter

madatter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dealer is replacing sealing band no questions asked by KTM.
    He's a bit hard edged and doesn't mince words with manufacturer when there are problems...or with people when they are a bit whiny!
    Be ready in time for days off...:D
    Hoping it's not a continuing saga but we will see.
    Once the stock tires are worn a set of TKC 80s will be going on....geeze I hope that doesn't compound the issue.
    As far as pressure goes I was always in the 44lb range till the leak started....
  2. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's a lot to be said for tubeless tire. Everyone should have the pleasure of a rear flat out in the boonies--compare repair joy with tube vs plugging tubeless on the bike. I have run Tubliss on my dirt bikes for many years. For repair ease and ability to run lower pressures.

Hope KTM gets their tubless setup sorted out. May be a little learning curve on the rider side for some.....

FWIW
  3. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:
    I had issues also but it started when i took the TKC80 off the rear and put the OEM back on for a 3k trip. I slimed it and 4k miles later still holding air and the sensor still works. I am sure it was the inner seal they use. When the I spoon on the new TKC80 I am sealing the spokes with a little dab of goop on each one under the rubber seal on the inside of the rim.

I would never go back to running tubes in the tires unless I had no other choice.
  4. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I run the rear on my 990 with goop on the spoke nipples--no bladder.

FWIW
  5. Pork Butt

Pork Butt Save the USA

Oddometer:
    I don't intend to ride off road other than the occasional gravel road. I bought the KTM in rather than the Multistrada bc I have a KTM dealer and I had to make several trips out of state to get my Hypermotard warrantied.

great combination 1190 to travel and the Hyper for short rides :clap

PB
  6. scudrunner82

scudrunner82 combustion addict

Oddometer:

Hmmm. That does sound like a nice stable of bikes. :thumb

I test rode a Hyper and that thing was a riot. :clap
  7. madatter

Oddometer:
    The saga continues...
    Liner replaced and all seemed well....but its leaking again.
    Dealer is giving me his rear new rim n tire while they try to figure it out.
    This is starting to get annoying.
  8. PS-RagE

PS-RagE Long timer

Oddometer:
    My front leaks but the rim has a couple good flat spots so I'm not too surprised.

I'll be replacing the whole wheel soon and will get this one tended to afterwards.
  9. madatter

Oddometer:
    Well I picked up something and put a good hole in center of tread of the stock tire.
    It's been plugged and is holding air but I have no confidence in it and doing any fast speed so I have ordered the set of TKC 80s instead of just replacing the back stocker.
    Should be here in a couple days.
  10. jj_pt

jj_pt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm also having a leak on the front tyre in one of the rim spokes. It looses around 0,3 BAR every day and I'm just waiting for the next service to fix it. :bluduh
  11. Grizzlybear

Grizzlybear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a slow leak on the rear recently right after I fitted a new Conti Trail Attack. Took the wheel off and shot around to the local car tyre place knowing they had a large tank that I could submerse the whole wheel in after I taped up the bearings. Sure enough bubbles coming from the area around the valve stem and from several spokes either side.

After I removed the tyre I noticed a small nick in the main rubber seal where the tyre pressure monitor had swung around and caught the rubber seal with its edge. Solution: I used a spare AirHawk seat bladder patch over the nick, problem solved. I knew it would work as I have been using a patched up Airhawk for years and the patch has never lifted but in the case of this repair, the tyre air pressure is going to act on the patch anyway to hold it firm which gives me total confidence in this repair. The tyre pressure has held up perfectly since.
    matt.the.ogre likes this.