Gymkhana

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Vulfy, May 6, 2012.

1. Redclayrider

Redclayrider Long time gone

Oddometer:
    That Katoom sounds oh so sweet! Good job on your first Kone ride!
  2. Motogymkhanaman

Motogymkhanaman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome Raybakh, great to see another Moto Gymkhana group forming to practice the noble art.

You will find lots of useful information in this forum and I hope that it will inspire you to do more. The Moto Gymkhana Association in the UK holds a remit from the Japanese to spread the word and encourage International Moto Gymkhana competitions. Contact us via www.motogymkhana.org for more information
  3. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Out their doin it Raybakh!:freakyor :clap if it's more appropriate.
  4. nuggets

nuggets It's all my fault...

Oddometer:
    Harvey, if you find yourself stalling, find some other thing to practice. Any other riding thing that is not gymkhana. Do donuts, wheelies, practice big brake slides on gravel, ride trails, just something fun. Once you come back to gymkhana, you'll be fresher and ready to progress.
  5. Storm Shadow

Storm Shadow Thread Ninja

Oddometer:
    everyone seen keith codes twist of the twist and his no BS bike, no body steering, he completely settled the argument
  6. Motogymkhanaman

Oddometer:
    The No BS bike doesn't completely settle the argument as body steering can still have a profound effect on turning our bike, but only when it's travelling very slowly.

The stunt rider Mattie Griffin www.mgstuntriding.com can perform full lock figure 8's with his hands off the bars, just by moving his upper body and expertly timed rear brake release.

In Moto Gymkhana we can use this effect to our advantage by ensuring that our body is positioned in such a way that it encourages the bike to do what we want it to do next. The three phases of machine control are Steady-State, Capsize and Recovery, so we use different body positions to promote whichever state we want to achieve.
  7. Harvey Krumpet

Oddometer:
    T'is true nuggets. We always notice an improvement after a decent break from practice. I found the same thing in other sports, apparently it takes quite awhile for our brains & bodies to learn new movements and a break allows the sub conscious to learn it.
    It's been weeks since we last practiced so I should be a maestro next time out....... Yeah, right:rofl

Truth be told i will be happy if i keep the bikes right way up..
  8. Harvey Krumpet

Oddometer:
    Yup, speed is the clue. Riding the bike slowly while picking your nose & texting, the limit of my stunt ability, you have to use your hips, footrests & upper body to steer, too slow & it's easy to get into a one sided tankslapper. Is that the bike equivalent of a one handed man clapping?
    Do it on the road at 100kmh & the bike hardly moves, I,ve tried weaving through the centre line like this & the bike reacts very slowly.
  9. Motogymkhanaman

Oddometer:
    I suppose that you could say that the bike becomes more rigid as it goes faster. It doesn't bank so quickly and the steering doesn't move so fast.
  10. Harvey Krumpet

Oddometer:
    An enthusiastic effort on a Striple.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/T-dbIyKtHec" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
  11. Storm Shadow

Storm Shadow Thread Ninja

Oddometer:
    so how is everybody?
  12. TheWall

TheWall 0 miles and counting

Oddometer:
    Beautiful bike -- I still want a S3R so bad! -- and a great effort by the rider. (S)He was giving it all on that course! :clap
  13. nuggets

Oddometer:
    I was thinking about this thread today, so I got out and ran some GK today on pavement again.

The riding was fun. I was doing more of the GP8 course, still not timed. I felt like I was going faster today. I was dragging my feet a few times, so there isn't too much more lean to be gotten out of the bike. I still have a lot to gain by getting smoother at the transitions.

I can't just run GP8 again and again, so I set up the GP8, and then set up a little course with a couple of spots where I have to change gears.

I generally take a couple turns at the GP8 course, and then do a couple of laps. It works well for me, and allows me to ride constantly for about an hour.

I might have managed to kill my rear brake pads though. I have a rear drum brake on the XT, and it was smelling pretty strong once I got finished. After that, the brake felt pretty weird. I'll have to pull the wheel and take a look tommorow.
  14. Redclayrider

Redclayrider Long time gone

Oddometer:
    Try setting up a Clover Leaf, it is 2 GP8 courses side by side. The distance between the course is the same as a GP8. You can circle the cones in a clockwise or counter clockwise direction. Or mix it up, clockwise around 1 cone then counter-clockwise around the next cone then clockwise around the next ects....... That way you can run a GP8 course too.
    When I practice I will set up one or two "official" courses (or parts of a course) then just lay out some tennis balls in curves, squares and such.
    What I do in practice is the things I need work on and some stuff I find fun to do. I mix it up to keep me entertained.
  15. nuggets

Oddometer:
    I'll probably set up a cloverleaf at some point. It seems like fun.

Did I mention my brakes got hot last night?

I bronzed the hub:huh

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I figured out why the braking got weird. As things got hot, the wheel bearing blew some grease out, and it got into the brake drum. I might have taken some of the life out of that bearing.

Here is a diagram of a small section of the course that I had set up last night:
    [​IMG]

That tight S curve section proved to be a serious challenge. I had a difficult time making it through there smoothly. It sure was fun trying though.
  16. Harvey Krumpet

Oddometer:
    That looks like a custom finish on the hub nuggets..:D

I watched another vid yesterday of three riders, 2 NSR's & a'prilla IIR, all of their rear brakes were squeaking. Either that or they had packed the cones with gerbils.

I think, just think mind you, that the guy riding the striple is one & the same as the bloke riding the CBR 600.

I have nothing to report on the bike front but if any body is interested to know how a scrub bar trigger grip works, particularly where the spring that flies out when you open it lives, or how to build a terraced vege plot with tires let me know. The vege plot will make an epic trials section....:rofl

Took your advice SS, did some burnin..

[​IMG]
  17. nuggets

Oddometer:
    Only available on the "Gymkhana Edition XT"

Woods riding on singletrack is like that too. It is really hard on the rear brakes. Some guys run add on cooling fins on their rear brake caliper.
  18. Reconstructed

Reconstructed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You may want to consider porting the brake hub to allow the heat to escape. By drilling a couple of half inch or so holes, cool air is allowed in. Of course you would lose any environmental protection you have when do that.
  19. Motogymkhanaman

Oddometer:
    Nuggets, I think that a tiny-teenie little brake like that might suffer a bit under the strains of a Moto Gymkhana attack!

Maybe it's time to get the hang of some brake augmentation techniques otherwise your back wheel will melt!!
  20. nuggets

Oddometer:
    Explain brake augmentation techniques please :thumb