The XL600 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Gregster, Jul 6, 2007.

1. bdcorrigan

bdcorrigan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stator! Pickup coil! CDI!....get a repair manual and a volt/ohm meter and start checking. My guess is the CDI
  2. scrubby81

scrubby81 Auto Builder

Oddometer:
    check the easy stuff first got proper voltage ground res. at the coil cdi. box not sure what spark system you have on yours I went aftermarket with mine last year for a bad ground...:lol3
  3. davek181

davek181 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stator did that to me one time. Although it could also be CDI, or pickup coil or just plain bad connections. Get a Ricky stator if you find that to be the cause. I am on my third stator in my XL. Original died on the ignition side, replacement Ricky died on the charging coil side but kept running, replacement Ricky working fine. :1drink
  4. Stretchah

Stretchah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, wondering if you can help? Got a 2nd set of wheels a while back so I could switch thw knobblies and street tyres easier, but, that was before I realised I had CR forks and the front doesn't fit, doh !

So, I've been looking at getting a CR front wheel to match, but, have now found that the CR ones are apparently 21 x 1.60 wide whereas the one on the bike is 21 x 1.85? As I'm fairly new to riding off road I'm wondering if there are any benefits of having the wider rim offroad or if it's more suited to road? If there's little difference I'll probably pick up a 1.60.

Cheers
  5. davek181

davek181 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You might be able to change the bearings in your wheel to match the CR axle. What size axle does it have?
  6. crobox

crobox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, since jetting is a recurring conversation on here, and a conversation I myself have joined of late, allow me to add to the growing body of literature by recounting my day yesterday!

So a while ago, while on what was basically my first ride on the rebuilt XL, I noticed that I was having intermittent "stumbles," or really brief moments of power loss. I wrote about it on here and most folks thought the bike was probably too lean, and one person suggested a possible bad CDI.

So I followed a link over to pjmotorsports.com and bought a few richer jets to play around with. The setup I was running at the time was 62 pilot, 118 main carb, 115 second carb. So I bought a 60 pilot, a 65 pilot, and 122 and 125 main jets.

Fast forward to yesterday, the first time I had a chance to get back on the bike in about 2 weeks. I decided to ride to the post office, about 15 miles. I decided to put in a 65 pilot and go with 122 / 118 before I left for the little trip. The first thing I noticed was that the pilot jets I got from pj motorsports are different from mine and do not fit.

[​IMG]

While all the lengths are the same (and lengths are the only dimensions given on the website! See HERE), the diameter of the threads and every part of the jet above the threads is different. Fatter diameters on the new jet than the original. A glance through their jet offerings seems to show nothing they offer that is the same as the original.

So I decided to put the stock 62 back in. I put in the 122/118 and went for a ride. The stumbling was still there, and actually seemed worse. I only got about 4 miles before I turned back.

I replaced the CDI with a brand new one which I had ordered during my build, but never used. Went out on the road again... no improvement. Turned back.

Pulled float bowls and went to 122/125. This time the stumbling and power loss was so bad that it came on as early as 20 MPH (whereas before it did not start stumbling until around 35 or 40.) This time I only went a mile before turning back.

So, noticing that the richer I went the worse the problem got, this time I went back to the original configuration of 62/118/115. Now the stumbling was still there, but much less of an issue. Finally, I took the 30 mile round trip to the post office. It was a windy day, and it's a long straight road, and I noticed that the stumbling was considerably worse in one direction than the other. This only reinforced for me that there was an airflow and/or mixture problem.

When I got back from the PO, having no leaner jets to play with, I opened the airbox, cleaned the wire mesh screen that lives behind the filter, and then drilled a bunch of .500" holes in the top and right side (behind the battery) of the airbox. Took it out for a spin (admittedly a very short spin) and for the first time.... it ran well with no stumbles.

So all indications are that the stumbles were caused by a rich condition. Remember that I live and ride at 7000 feet elevation. It does give a little more credence to my buddy's observation that the amount of soot around my Supretrapp exit might indicate richness.

Thoughts? Observations?

Cheers,
    Christian
  7. davek181

davek181 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like it was rich from your observations. Experimentation is the best. Ii is good to find the limits, or form your database. I rarely get an opportunity to ride at 7000 feet, but I regularly get up to 4-5000 feet with the jetting I run at 700 feet and it runs fine, but a little rich.

If I were you I would get a couple of smaller jets and play with them a little to get good crisp running, or if nothing else learn that it is right now.

I usually end up changing mains from winter to summer and back again during the year. Usually one step each. Richer for winter and leaner for summer.
  8. Stretchah

Stretchah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good plan Dave unfortunately I should have elaborated on why it's no good...mainly as there's no place for the speedo drive on the right, the seller wasn't 100% it was xl600 but came with her bike and it may be from a 500 it was cheap so I took a punt :) the disc is also larger.

Plus the worst part...it's gold...very gold ;)

The cr ones I've seen seem to have the same discs and everything so my only concern really is just about the width of rim and how that effects the handling on and off road...
  9. crobox

crobox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Dave- (Or Carter, or anyone else..)

I'm looking around to try to find the right pilot jet (as the ones I ordered from PJ motorsports were wrong).

I got the N424-21 (wrong)
    I see on their page they also have an item N424-74C. This looks like it might be the right item, but only comes in sizes 35-52. I could drill them out (which would entail getting my hands on a 61-80 wire gauge drill set that I don't currently own, although I should!)

But there must be a better way. Do I remember there was another vendor for this stuff?

Thanks,
    Christian
  10. crobox

crobox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ah, the most divisive of all topics in the XL crowd! I'm on your side, but don't get into it with Carter Pewterschmidt!

C
  11. TonyfromOR

TonyfromOR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    crobox: You might try running it without the guts of the supertrap (straight pipe) that should lean it out a bit to further test your theorey. Should only take a few minutes to do.
  12. Carter Pewterschmidt

Carter Pewterschmidt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did the same thing and ordered the N424-21 pilots from them. Wrong bleeding size. Try the N424-22, at least that's what I'm trying next. When I ordered the 65 pilot I bought a Honda part, because I decoded the factory pilot number. It had a 062 as the last 3 digits, so I just changed those to 065 and got the #65 pilot I was looking for.

Or just try to exchange them. They're really cool people there so just send them an email and they'll be happy to swap them for you. They've done it for me in the past.
  13. davek181

davek181 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use jetsrus for my jets. They show on their site for an XL N424-74C in sizes from 35 to 70, $6.50 each.
  14. davek181

davek181 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like gold rims.

I used an XR 250 on my CR swap. I did have to change bearings and speedo drive.

I doubt you will notice any difference in wheel width, I didn't when i did an XR400 swap with XR600 wheel.
  15. Carter Pewterschmidt

Oddometer:
    It's a very regal color. When I'm on it I feel like a King who's riding his royal throne. To magnify this experience I've considering upholstering my seat in red velvet and donning a matching robe.
  16. davek181

davek181 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Watch out, if your cape gets too long it can catch in your chain.
  17. Carter Pewterschmidt

Oddometer:
    I appreciate your concern. Best I employ a servant to follow along with me to prevent such embarrassments.

I pictured a guy on like a Trail 70 riding along side just to hold up the robe and I lol'd.
  18. davek181

davek181 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Might take two guys on ct70s, one on each side to support your royal regalness.
  19. gaspasser

gaspasser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    posted this awhile a go <table id="post14106718" class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td class="alt2" style="border: 1px solid #575757; border-top: 0px; border-bottom: 0px" width="175"> <sup></sup>
    Adventurer

[​IMG]

Oddometer: 29

</td><td class="alt1" id="td_post_14106718" style="border-right: 1px solid #575757"> These bikes are know to run lean, bumping up the slow jets helps it start easier. a lot of us have done it, once you get it running you may need to play with the mains. slow jet #65 99103-mg3-0650,$12.22. slow jet #68 99103-mg3-0680,$11.07. pulse generator #30300-mk2-010, $44.52. module,ign #30410-mg2-892,$114.90. got all from honda dealer, if you have any trouble let me know.
    </td></tr></tbody></table>
  20. gaspasser

gaspasser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    slow jets
    <hr style="color:#575757; background-color:#575757" size="1"> gos got slow jets from honda for my 86 xl600r

#65 honda #99103-mg3-0650

#68 honda #99102-mg3-0680

99103 -420 is keihin series slow jet. check out keihin-us.com/list/htm

if you need #55 try # 99103-mg3-0550 honda

# 99103-42055 keihin

hope that helps