The Porsche Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Bongolia, Aug 6, 2009.

1. d mc gee

d mc gee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No laughing at him...He was like a fish in a tank with about 20 people staring at him inside the trunk. He was actually sitting on a stool, and later smiled. Wasn't short, but had to crawl under the car to get in.

Everyone in tour was invited to factory cafeteria at lunch with management & engineers. Two rooms, engineers and management OR and workers. wife and I ask if we could sit with the blue coat workers and we did, but only 2 or 3 spoke any English. Extremely nice, but serious people, that were very proud to work at Porsche.

For the workers, a Porsche was not a Porsche if (at the time) it did not have "911 Turbo" on the lid. I'd agree, once you drive a Turbo version, nothing compares.
    The factory pronounces TURBO as "2 Bo".

3. CA_Strom

CA_Strom Cunning Linguist Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Temples of Syrinx (Treasure Valley Idaho)
    Anyone else into the new 981 Boxster? I'm rapidly saving up my sheckles to get one, hopefully CPO off lease return, in the next year or two. After driving the new 981 at the Porsche Roadshow last year, I'm hoooked.

And, being in So. CA, looking forward to the opening of this later this year:

(Nove 2012) This week the Carson City Council "enthusiastically approved" a crazy-ass-sounding Porsche Experience Center for the current site of a golf course, former landfill, and apartment building. Work will start on the 53-acre project by the end of the year, according to the Daily Breeze, and wrap up in fall 2013. The PEC will be the second in the US and have "a museum displaying historical vehicles, a business center, driving simulators, a high-end parts and service area, a restaurant and a 'human performance center' designed to train people like race car drivers," the DB reports in an earlier article. Porsche will also move its North American offices from Santa Ana to the Carson site. Porsche will have to clean up the former landfill site, raze the now-closed Dominguez Hills Golf Course, and demolish the vacant Don Dominguez Apartments.
    Ways the Porsche center will terrify drivers>>
    To help rich people feel alive for once, the Porsche Experience Center's "six planned courses include two tracks replicating challenging country roads - one about 2,500 feet long and one twice as long. On another 350-foot-long track, computer-controlled water jets will simulate an icy hill. A low-friction circle will replicate slippery roads, while a 280-foot-long kick plate will simulate the loss of rear wheel traction, and a high-speed track and dynamic area will challenge basic driving skills.":evil
  4. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    That right there is pro fess ee own all looking! :thumb
  5. NCGS

NCGS De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    While reading the latest issue of Panorama, I was surprised to read about a new limited edition 991/911S for Porsche Club (worldwide) members only.

Only 13 cars were produced, and they were sold (at a premium, I'm sure) to Porsche Club members. Two came to the U.S.

The car is stunning.. it has more power, and many upgrades. You certainly won't see one of these every day of the week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0tV6v9-M7U
  6. Lewy

Lewy Minus the LC8

Oddometer:
    A couple of weeks back I made a up a 911 on the Aussie website.

It's looks pretty much like that:D

[​IMG]

Driveaway price in $AU was $463,000:huh
  7. STANIMAL

STANIMAL SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer:
    Taxation problem ?
  8. Lewy

Lewy Minus the LC8

Oddometer:
  9. NCGS

NCGS De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Whoa!!.. Holy sh!t... :eek2

I don't suppose there's a whole bunch of new 911s running around down there..
  10. Lewy

Lewy Minus the LC8

Oddometer:
    No not really a lot. Even a base model Boxster is $118k.

Come down do to a Ford Focus ST and you guys pay $23k and we are slugged $42k so it's not just luxury car tax.
  11. Tripl Nikl

Tripl Nikl Long timer

Oddometer:
    $42K for an ST?!?! Wow! :eek1
  12. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    Which one would you take?

The new 991 GT3, or Jerry Sienfeld's 1964 911?

[​IMG]

Of course Jerry's was originally owned by Ferry Porsche and fully restored at the Porsche factory, probably worth at least a half dozen GT3's?
  13. cogitate

cogitate What Marcellus Wallace Looks Like

Oddometer:
  14. 68deluxe

68deluxe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would like one in red or white, no PDK.
  15. Meter Man

Meter Man Long timer

Oddometer:
    What is the scuttlebutt for a good 911 daily driver, purchased for sub $30k used?

Seems a lot of 10-12 year old 911 Carreras for sale. I understand the first year 1999 water cooled had some issues, but what about 2000-2003?
  16. tpirocz

tpirocz i do what i want

Oddometer:
    so my 62 year old father might be looking for a porsche...

he needs it to be an automatic or whatever porsche calls it. he can't do the shifting thing anymore since a total shoulder replacement. and he wants awd so he can drive it in the snow, with snow tires.

probably looking for something mid-late 90s or early 2000s. what should he be looking at? and what problems should he know about in advance?

thanks
  17. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    A $30K budget will get you a great 996!

I'd target an extra-clean 2002-2004 Carrera 2 with 45K-60K miles, decent ownership/maintenance history and a clean pre purchase inspection, which should be relatively easy to find in the $26K-$28K range. Budget an extra $2.5K-$3K along the way for a new IMS bearing (one of the 996 weak spots, but not nearly as big of an issue as some would have you believe), clutch and rear main seal since your in there combo service.

You can end up with great 320HP daily driver that looks like new and will easily go another 100K with service costs about equal any other german car... [But somebody else will likely chime in to tell you different!]
  18. Lee C

Lee C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would you say a 996 is easier to find and more affordable easier to maintan then a 993 or 964 Thanks
  19. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    That's a can of worms!

993 fans adore their cars and rarely would even consider a water cooled Porsche. 964 fans (I think there are about six?) likely feel the same way.

But to answer your question, it is *absolutely* easier to find a perfect condition, mid mileage, issue free 996 in the $25K-$30K price range than a 993.

Easier to maintain? 996's are pretty easy. Change the oil every 5K (not the recommended 10K), 60K major service interval with reasonably priced parts, a few areas that cause problems slightly more often than expected but are well known and relatively easy and not terribly expensive to address (IMS, RMS, air oil separator, coil packs, water pump are some of them). Just remember to change the IMS bearing every time you have the tranny down for any other repairs, or maybe every 60K if you buy a slushbox porsche.
  20. Lee C

Lee C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks :clap Dieing to buy something 911,NSX,maybe a C6 Z06 what to do always wanted a Silver 911