dualsportmaps.com - Android App

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by craftycoder, May 26, 2011.

1. craftycoder

craftycoder Motobrain PDU

Oddometer:
    Then you are using the software as intended. :deal
  2. Escaped

Escaped Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just set up the on my new Galaxy Note 2. Works great so far!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
  3. NHBill

NHBill Loosely Wrapped

Oddometer:
    How do you like the Note II so far? I have one on order from Verizon. Am thinking the larger screen will be great for using DSM! Love the app for navigating although I agree with Crafty, that the routing tool is way stronger in other apps, but where the app really shines is in the App/Website combination for planning and sharing routes and tracks. I was fortunate enough to help Beta test the app, I thought that it was pretty good back then. I can tell you that Crafty has done nothing but make it stronger and easier to use every step of the way! Looking forward to the larger screen and faster processor to make it even more "fun".

Considering the Defender Case by Otterbox for everyday use and a Ram mount for the bike. I currently use an X-mount for dry and warmer weather and a box for the cold wet days. Works pretty well for me. What set-up are you using?
  4. Escaped

Escaped Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Galaxy Note 2 is great so far - I have had it only one day so I just started using it. Its is very fast, screen is great and DSM seems to work with no problems. I used the MP3 player this morning and the audio quality was the best I have every used on a portable device - much better than my IPOD. I played a little with the S-Pen and that seems to have a lot of promiss. The voice control features are great. The phone is BIG and feels delicate so a good case is essential. I have the Otter Defender case and a Ionic GUARDIAN Case for Samsung Galaxy Note II on order. Unfortunately the cases were out of stock with ATT when I ordered the device, so until the cases come in I am using a generic leather case I have.

PS: The device even has a tool that adjust audio level (tones) for earplugs to your hearing level. The tool is a hearing test to evaluate your hearing level in each ear by tone and then compensates the sound spectrum to compensate for deficiencies.

5. sandalscout

sandalscout blah blah blah

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to say THANKS! again Crafty. I still use the DSM Android app as a backup to my Garmin 60CSx, but finally started doing some route planning on the website. It is by far, the easiest and most reliable to create and edit routes of the numerous methods I've tried so far (Basecamp, MapSource, Harley Trip Planner, Garmin Maps to KMZ).

Once I remembered how to filter tracks in Basecamp, loading them to the GPS went pretty easy too!
  6. NickJensen

NickJensen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First off, let me say I love this app! :clap Plus I keep dreaming of the day when Crafty just sells the pieces to his remote so we can put it in whatever enclosure we can find! WE NEED THAT AWESOME TOY YESTERDAY!

Anyway, I volunteered to deliver Yellow Phone Books for my son's baseball team to raise some bucks. So I used DualSportMaps on my PC to lay down the streets that I needed to drive. Most tracks were just two points indicating the start and end of the street. However, I kept having tracks disappear. I tried reentering them and they'd show up as I moved about zooming in and out. But after some random amount of time, the ones that I RE-ADDED would disappear again.

When downloading to my phone the map also came down with those tracks dropped.

I only have about 25 tracks defined and they only use a few points per track. Haven't got a clue why some are getting dropped.

Maybe that is just what I rightfully get for trying to use this cool app for something unintended!

Thanks Crafty!

Nick Jensen - Login: NickJensen Troubled Map: Yellow Book Route
  7. NHBill

NHBill Loosely Wrapped

Oddometer:
    Nick, the only times that I have had dropped maps or sections of routes is when I haven't used a lot of waypoints to define the route.

Maybe Crafty can shed more light on it but as I understand the way the app/website interface works, if you auto download the maps along a route, but there are no waypoints on a particular map tile (the maps are not down loaded wholesale, they are downloaded in fairly small sections, "tiles") it won't pick up that particular tile. Conversely, if you manually download a map but there are no waypoints on the tiles you choose, it won't bring the route along with it. I'm not a code writer so I can't know if that is totally the issue, but it might be worth trying to add some more waypoints to a route and see if that changes the results when you download.

It really is a great app. Good luck!

For what it's worth, as long as I have defined a route, I use it for street nav all the time (or just to display my current location and the map of the area). But you're right, the routing function is fairly weak as that's not what Crafty intended it to be for. If I need to find directions from here to there by surface streets, I just fire up google maps and let-er-rip.
  8. NHBill

NHBill Loosely Wrapped

Oddometer:
    Hey Escaped, you still as happy with the new phone after having used it for a week?
  9. NHBill

NHBill Loosely Wrapped

Oddometer:
    Anybody else having trouble with the website this AM? I was going to mess with a route that a friend sent me but the page just loads to a blank screen...:cry
  10. GaM

GaM Long timer

Oddometer:

Yep, I think it was yesterday I got the blank screen. Still that way.
  11. StuInFH

StuInFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Working now.

I love this app, been showing it to all that will listen. So nice being able to see the larger screen of a smartphone (using the mil spec Rugby Smart). Hold phone to Ram mount with heavy duty velcro and got stick on (automotive-grade adhesive) loop to attach a tether (dang phone doesn't have one). Hard wired a fused 12V outlet for the branded higher amp charger. All stuff I learned right here, cept maybe the tether loop I found myself.
    Thanks Crafty!
    Stu
  12. Escaped

Escaped Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    NHBill,

The Galaxy Note II is great no problems. The screen size and S-Pen actually allows me to get some work done while on the go.
    With its processing power it is truly a "smart phone".

Here is a good summary of the good and bad:

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/11/02/samsung-galaxy-note-2-review/

I have not used it with DSM while riding yet but I am looking forward to.

I have the alarm set in the morning to read me the time, weather, day's appointment and top news stories. When I am ready to leave the house it tells me estimated time to the office and any accidents to avoid. With continued use it gets smarter, Its actually kinda creepy.

13. NickJensen

NickJensen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks NHBill,

I appreciate the suggestions.

Yes, Google is well suited for just motoring about.

However I was operating within network access range and still SOME of the tracks dropped. I couldn't figure why just certain ones, other than I think they were the last ones added.

And after re-entering them, the same ones would drop after some time passed. Initially, I could leave DualSportMaps.Com and come back and all would be well. But when I downloaded the maps to my 4.03 android phone, the same ones again were gone and when I went back to DualSportMaps.Com there were no longer there either!!

I've never had this happen with tracks I've made for actual trail riding though. So the low track point count might be relevant.

Very perplexing. Suspect Crafty could figure it out quickly as he so often does. His code seems very solid and I've had few problems. At $20, his app is one of most incredible bargains around. While expensive by phone app standards, it may be priced way too LOW in comparison to existing Garmin-Type solutions. Better get it before that ever gets corrected!!

But I just wish that remote was available and/or he would start selling kits for his Lightning Bug & arduino USB host boards.

However, I suspect he is very busy these days with the various projects he is involved with.
  14. Sic Semper Tyrannis

Sic Semper Tyrannis Plays with Banjos, Boats and Bikes...

Oddometer:
  15. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, happy thanksgiving. Expect some server maintenance in the very near future. I just setup some brand new hardware and will be moving the website and app to it soon. I am going to put up an appeal for donations for the website once the new hardware is online. The website has been a little flaky lately and a hardware refresh was in order. We have some shiny new stuff in the rack and it's looking very nice. I've been working on it hard the last 3 days (with holidays comes time to work on this stuff) and I just got the last hurdle jumped. I will perform my due diligence and flip the switch sometime next week. Thanks for your support!

NickJensen:
    I believe the issue is exactly what you think it is. I am using some trickery when I render the tracks and only display a track on the page if either end of it is on the screen OR if both ends are off the screen some fixed distance and the track would cross the screen. This works great except for tracks that have low track counts. As you zoom in the tracks are likely to disappear. I do this because rendering was slow in earlier revisions and this was the best strategy I came up with to balance speed and availability. I figured if the track was so course that it wasn't visible using the rules I chose then it wasn't that necessary as it would be VERY straight. If a turn were to show up the track would appear again.
  16. NickJensen

NickJensen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not zoomed in that close. Both endpoints of the short streets are well within the display window. And they don't get downloaded to the phone and can never be seen again at any zoom level on either the PC or the phone. Somehow they become forever transparent or lost.

Welcome Back!

Any chance you'll sell kits or schematics for your "Lightning Bug" low current instrument? Also, the same for your micro arduino USB host?
  17. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Hmm, well I am a little confused them. You've uploaded or drawn the map on the website then? Can you verify you are logged in on both the website and the app and then post up the link to the map from the website so I can verify that it doesn't work on my phone as well. I've never had an issue with a map on the website not coming to my phone unless I forgot to put my credentials into the app.

I recently ordered some new parts for the lightning bug, I'm going to dump the BNC and go with more traditional Banana jacks. I also have to decide how I want to power the bug. It currently requires two cells to run which is a little inconvenient. I may switch some parts for a lower voltage requirement.... Once that is done we will get that online. The current schematic is linked on the youtube movie but I hope to make these a little more convenient to use before I go into production.

The Mini USB host should be available soon from an online vendor soon. I'll post up more details when they are available. I made a deal with a guy to build and sell them for me.

I've got other moto gizmos in the pipeline as well. Next year should be fun!

18. NickJensen

NickJensen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I believe the tracks were dropped on the website. The map I received on the phone did match the website. Both showed the missing tracks.

But I can't tell you what caused them to disappear from the website. After I reentered them, I left the site and came back a couple of times in an attempt to discover what actions were related to the tracks being dropped. Then when I saw that my phone had missing tracks I went back to the website, and they were missing there also.

I'm not understanding "post up the link to the map from the website". It is a private map "Yellow Book Route" under my "NickJensen" login. But I'm not sure that will be much help as that map looks ok except for the fact that I had about 10-20 other streets (tracks) on the map before they were lost. I re-entered them at least three times, they looked good for a while but something I did, or the code did, eventually caused them to be lost. I was very careful to click the track save button after each definition. It is probably relevant that the same streets keep getting lost. I tried to find a universal map save action button as I was thinking that maybe there was another save operation I needed to be doing but found nothing other than the track save mechanism.

If this is only happening with my short tracks it probably isn't worth tracking down. Virtually any real trail riding usage won't have such tracks. I only brought it up because it might have wider applicability and therefore worthy of fixing. Might just be something to be on watch for going forward.

Great news on the new products. I've watched a lot of your engineering videos and your FreeSideAtlanta presentations. You've really come a LONG ways in a very short time. Some very good stuff. Great to see you're going to get those achievements to market!

Have you considered making a voice activated remote control for the app and forgoing the USB control box? I don't know enough about the Android programming interface to know how difficult that might be. But the voice to text ability of Android is absolutely amazing. I suspect that if you had a good programming interface and if it worked fast enough, it might be the ideal control interface. I think that I read somewhere recently that Android no longer has to be connected online to Google for the voice to text to work.

Thanks,

Nick
  19. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    I believe the magic number for minimum track points is 3 if you want the website to save them. This is a limitation of the Google Maps engine the website uses. Less than the magic number and weird stuff happens. I hard set this number based on trial and error. Again, I never considered this a major hurdle because a two or three point track is easy enough to remember I figured. Just add more points to the simple track before you save it and then the tracks will stick around.

There are lots of these little "gotchas" is software that go mainly undocumented because they seem to the dev to be rare use cases. Sorry it stung you a few times. It's something I do not intend to fix but you can work around it easily by adding more points I believe.

If the mini USB host board really becomes for sale, I'll design a remote control daughter board for it and let you make your own remote. I am also thinking about completely new design with no joystick but instead silicone buttons like a TV remote control. That would be easy to waterproof and get the cost way down. That seems like a winner to me.

20. NickJensen

NickJensen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That was it!! All lost tracks were just two points!

Yup. A non-problem for all real trail/road tracks. Sorry to bother you with it.

The sealed keyboard sounds like a good solution. Cheap, effective, waterproof and probably not much larger.