Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by RedRockRider, Sep 16, 2011.

1. StiffCheddar

StiffCheddar n00b with a dream

Oddometer:
    Bummer, I'd love to go but won't roll into town until later tomorrow. :waysad

Another 6 weeks and I'll be a full timer down there!
  2. ElleDubs

ElleDubs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm coming :D
  3. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I sure woulda liked to make it today, but just got home after wondering around the west with Mrs. Samthg.

Hope it well for everyone. I'll be waiting for that report.

For those of you who hope to, but haven't, RRR is a terrific dude to hang with and a great guide!
  4. RedRockRider

RedRockRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good fortune to have four inmates and a few spouses join for breakfast. Nice. :nod

Let's just say that inmates tend to marry up, in some cases, way up . . . and leave it at that. :wink:

After the festivities wound down we got organized and headed out to find some dirt. Our destination is Starvation Point. South of Bloomington, up high, between the Virgin River and I-15. Right on the UT-AZ Border.

Found some dirt to go from SunRiver south to Black Rock Road exit on I-15, then up. Some rough, loose bits, and very good scenery. I think I may have washed out the front end on my TW at a stop . . . DJ's GoPro wasn't on so it didn't happen. :lol3 Also, StG was too busy balancing on his new (to him) orange beast with 38 in seat height, and ElleDubs was already up at the overlook having a snack. :ricky

Ok . . . enough of the storytelling. Here are a few pics:

The view from Starvation Point looking down on I-15 in the Virgin River Gorge. One lane of the bridge is under construction. This is the first river crossing as you travel south on I-15 in the gorge.

[​IMG]

Our riders up on top. ElleDubs, DirtyJohnny, and StG. We enjoy the view and BS about the standard topics . . . motos, river rafting, more motos, ironman, "illegal" river rafting, and more motos. Perfect.

[​IMG]

Bikes. I don't want to make everyone jealous so I park my TW just out of view. That newish KTM in front is StG's recently acquired beast. He picked it up after his recent trip to Moab. Hopefully StG will still ride with me on his "little" blue thumper. StG's KTM has something like 200 miles and was garage kept by the original owner. StG owes that guy holiday cards for the next 10 years.:lol3

DirtyJohnny has the KTM monster in the #2 position. The right bike for the right guy. DJ is at home on all the rocky, twisty bits. On the asphalt . . . I noticed the front wheel spending some quality time up in the air. :clap

At least ElleDubs is loyal to blue. She has the YamiXT225 overshadowed by the two orange beasts. Glad you made it ElleDubs. You rock . . . especially with the not-so-perfect ribs. My wife says "hi" again. You X-fitters that aren't totally obsessed have to keep the others sane. Take it easy with all the box jumps and shin bashing type stuff. :wink:

[​IMG]

Three good riding partners. Fortunately, StG and DJ still had their helmets on . . . so this is my favorite pic of the day. :lol3

[​IMG]

Checking out the seat height on StG's new ride. ElleDubs is offering some options.

[​IMG]

DJ on his beast is thinking . . . "Hey, when you are riding, you feet aren't supposed to touch the ground." :lol3 What's the big deal? Tall seat = good suspension and ground clearance = fun bumps and ledges. :deal Let's ride!!!

Mrs. RedRockRider says, "DJ is a handsome guy (even with helmet head)" and "especially for an 'imaginary' friend." It could have been much, much worse. :D

[​IMG]

We work our way back down to the Black Rock Road exit area. It's early afternoon now. ElleDubs actually has to be responsible so she rides back into town. :wave Bye, ElleDubs. See you next time.

We boys spend a few minutes looking at an abandoned building that DJ "thinks" he discovered. I'm sure the pics are coming. Then we rally back to Bloomington and head out on dirt towards the Bloomington Cave.

Preview from a prior ride:

[​IMG]

Back to our ride . . . Team Orange enjoying the scenery out on the Bloomington Cave Road.

[​IMG]

Up on top near the old Apex Mine. We do a little hill climb and enjoy the view. More BS about motos.

[​IMG]

Selfie. Helmets on. :lol3

[​IMG]

More cruising dirt along the Joshua Tree Scenic Backway out to Old Highway 91 and back in to town. Road is very pleasant right now with touches of green (springtime in the desert). Very worthwhile if you are looking for a short, easily accessed ride from St. George.

Just found this map in the "archives" from a few years ago. Shows a big portion of our ride today. Hollow Wash Road is the Bloomington Cave Road. White Hills are very scenic and good views as you travel north towards Old 91. Starvation Point is at the very bottom of this map. Much rougher. Big views of the Virgin River Gorge.

[​IMG]

There was more food and beverage back in St. George. :beer Thanks, StG. All wrapped up by late afternoon. Great riding with you guys and ElleDubs. 'Till next time. :thumb
  5. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello Friends,

You guys had a fantastic time and awesome pictures, as usual. I know SamThg and I wish we were there.

StG--congrats on the new bike.:clap (Maybe, now you can keep up with me).:rofl

Keep up the fun,

Simba
  6. buzzardair

buzzardair terraqueous Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on the news bike StG, now that you have experienced orange, you will never go back.:evil
  7. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    :nod

Soon my friend, soon.

Anybody bringing golf clubs???
  8. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Red Rock Rider,

Me and Dingweeds were thinking of you and hoped to chat with you.

We rode from Dingweeds ranch in Eastern Utah to St. George to meet the Mobius riders (Dr. Rock and Francine)----and rode with them for several days back to the ranch.

I had hoped we'd get there early with some time to kill as we watched their progress from Death Valley East on their spot tracker page-----and could chat with you.

But we got to our meeting point just 2 hours early and rode on with them.

We headed North out of St. George on Old Dump Rd----then up into the Red Cliffs--thru a lot of ranch gates---then went on East. I'm sure you are all to familiar with that dirt road.

But I was thinking of you the whole time we were in the area.

Our favorite part of the whole ride was riding a 158 mile loop from Hanksville---south to poison springs wash road---then East crossing the sometimes uncrossable dirty devil river --then on East --then North up the switchbacks onto Hans Flat road and to our camp just Southwest of Green river. I'm sure you've ridden that---but we were all estatic about that ride.
    The loop was 158 miles---but my KTM only had 153 miles of gas :huh:huh

I've ridden in Utah a whole lot---and that was my most fun and scenic day ever.

Thanks for all your stuff !!!
    A big shout out to you from BigDog and Dingweeds at the 3-Step Hideaway !!!
    Please get over to his adventure ranch someday--now that you are retired it will be easy for you.
    He has cabins---rustic cabins----tee pees---and unlimited camping------------breakfast and dinner.
    http://3stephideaway.com/

[​IMG]
  9. ElleDubs

Oddometer:
    RRR - fun ride. Thanks much for organizing.

DirtyJohnny, and StG - nice to ride with you 2. Hopefully more of that in our futures.
  10. MaNDan

MaNDan 'Old Japanese cycles & '26Chevy truck

Oddometer:
    [Q. We enjoy the view and BS about the standard topics . . . motos, river rafting, more motos, ironman, "illegal" river rafting, and more motos. Perfect.

Would be interested to hear a little more discussion about the two types of river rafting. A trip to your country with riding the roads and kayaking the water and rivers would be a great adventure.
  11. DirtyJohnny

DirtyJohnny BR 549

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][/url][/IMG]

RRR, StG, ElleDubs, Great Ride! :thumb

MaNDan, Come on out for an inmate ride! There are a few very remote caves here in SW UT that we could hide in and discuss the type of river running that you have mentioned. We have info that that FBI may be watching us.

RRR, Thank You for putting these rides together.
    Breakfast was a nice addition. Nice to meet Mrs. RRR.

Went out Saturday on my usual Santa Clara 950 loop. Was able to cross the Virgin River and continue South. Approx. 2 miles from crossing to I-15. Came out about 1/4 mile East of the Arizona Border sign on I-15. Two track that is actually a single track in spots due to wash outs. Not to tough of a trail. Worth exploring.:clap

Be back as soon as possible.
  12. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    We will be this area next Sun, Mon, Tues on our annual spring trip - if we don't have any problems on the way out there.

On Sunday we will be riding from Cedar City to Alamo via Harmony mountains, Enterprise, Mt Ella, Pennsylvania Canyon, Delamar Mine and Delamar dry lake bed.

Monday - Alamo to Mesquite via assorted dirt roads whose names do not come to mind right now.

Tuesday - Mesquite to Kanab via Elbow Canyon, Nutter Twists, Mt Trumbull, Toroweap, Colorado City, Coral Dunes.

This is the reverse of the trip we did last year with quite a bit of new stuff.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=892221
  13. RedRockRider

RedRockRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    A few pics from a ride yesterday evening on and near the Bloomington Cave Road. This is close to where I was with StG and DirtyJohnny the day before.

Down low near the start of the Bloomington Cave Road.

[​IMG]

Some nice waterfront property, complete with dried cow footprints. :lol3

[​IMG]

Profile of the WRR with the White Hills in the background. Excellent late afternoon light.

[​IMG]

Head up high, near the intersection with the Joshua Tree Scenic Backway. Storm clouds are approaching, but waiting for the sun to reappear.

[​IMG]

Bingo! Good light, up high on a smaller side road. Pine Valley Mountain in distance.

[​IMG]

Slightly different angle. Worth a second look. :clap

[​IMG]

The scene with no bike. :cry

[​IMG]

Working back towards the "main" dirt roads. Then back home before the storm. Thanks riding along. :wave

[​IMG]
  14. ElleDubs

Oddometer:
    Anyone want to go for a dual sport ride on Saturday? I'm thinking out to Cougar Pass or maybe Yellow Horse flat. Or maybe we can go find summer camp. I'd have to dig up a GPS file to find that place again in the maze of roads out there. Day trip with a lunch stop but not anything epic. My ribs are healing nicely :-)
  15. RedRockRider

RedRockRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi ElleDubs,

Thanks for the "heads up." I can't go on Saturday. We are hosting a backyard swim party for my son and 28 of his closest friends. Should be organized chaos! :eek1

If any inmates or lurkers are available . . . send a PM to ElleDubs. She'll organize a good ride. Plus more fun than StG, DirtyJohnny, or Ringokelly. . . :lol3

Just back from an overnight trip to Pioche with my dad. Plus organizing a few pics from a ride earlier in the week with StG and pdxcajun.
  16. RedRockRider

RedRockRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Earlier this week had the chance for a good ride with pdxcajun and StG. Here's pdxcajun with his bike. He's wandering the country between Louisiana and Oregon in his van with his bike . . . just the kind of guy you want to meet on the internet. :lol3 Mrs. RRR was pleased that StG was along on this ride . . . "At least you have one 'real' friend who might not be psycho." :deal I assured Mrs. RRR - what could possibly go wrong. The guy is just living in his van . . .

[​IMG]

We had a good day. Fresh snow on Pine Valley Mountain. Perhaps the last snowfall of the season. Took the back way from MotoZoo up to Silver Reef.

[​IMG]

Little tribute to Baldy and his website. Fine way to meet guys with motos who live in their van. :D

[​IMG]

StG riding sweep. Excellent. Apparently Mrs. StG doesn't worry if her man meets up with guys who live in vans. She must be used to his risk-taking behavior . . . as long as the life insurance premiums are all paid up. :nod

[​IMG]

We stop to check out one of the local slot canyons. Pdxcajun enjoying southwest Utah scenery.

[​IMG]

Our bikes on the road to Silver Reef.

[​IMG]

The center of historic Silver Reef.

[​IMG]

Old foundations and wall with quite a few nice, newer homes nearby.

[​IMG]

Stop in the center of town near the historic Wells Fargo Bank building. Since pdxcajun is new in town we are hitting a few of the tourist spots, of course, linking them together with some good dual sport riding.

[​IMG]

Old equipment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the sign. Silver Reef, Leeds, and Harrisburg are all easily accessible from St. George. Lots of small-scale exploring at your fingertips.

[​IMG]

Mining headframe. Town of Silver Reef has recently upgraded the site to prevent erosion. Good protection of historic resources. Makes a nice destination for inmates. :thumb

[​IMG]

StG and pdxcajun by the "famous" chess piece on top of the Leeds Hill, visible from I-15 if you know where to look.

[​IMG]

After driving by Quail Reservoir and food and gas in Hurricane we head up to Smith Mesa -- Flying Monkey territory. Beautiful views of Zion with fresh green pasture land. :clap

[​IMG]

Our bikes. Good riding up on Smith Mesa. Dirt roads only had a few "soft" spots. Would have been muddy a few days earlier. Excellent spring conditions!

[​IMG]

View of the West Temple.

[​IMG]

We enter Zion the back way, near the Kolob Reservoir Road.

[​IMG]

StG and pdxcajun out front enjoying the views.

[​IMG]

We hit the Kolob Reservoir Road and take the pavement up several thousand feet to Kolob Reservoir. Cold and windy. Still feels like winter up at 8,000 ft plus. Road is clear, but there is still some snow along the edges. Would not venture past Kolob Reservoir on dirt to even higher elevations quite yet. :eek1

Here's the pic at the reservoir. Water level is very low. Not good for this time of year. Beautiful views all the way back down. We make one quick stop near the end of the Subway hike to BS for minute with people coming out. Cold water, but excellent conditions. Subway is on the "to do" list again this summer. :wink:

[​IMG]

Back down low. Pic of the Virgin River from Sheep's Bridge Crossing. Smith Mesa (Flying Monkey Mesa) on the right.

[​IMG]

Desert scenery in late afternoon light. Best time of the day.

[​IMG]

Final pic. StG offers me the salute for another good day of riding. Hey . . . always a pleasure. 'Till next time. :ken

[​IMG]

Nice riding with you pdxcajun. Glad you had a good trip. Come back to southwest Utah when you need to escape the rain of the Pacific Northwest. :D And keep on the good side of Mrs. pdxcajun . . . or just might be sleeping in that van on a full-time basis. :lol3

Thanks for all the comments and PMs. Keep the rubber side down. :wave
  17. pdxcajun

pdxcajun Fish'n and ride'n

Oddometer:
    RRR & StG,
    What a fabulous grand finale to a 2 month, 9300 mile odyssey. It was a wonderful day with varied surfaces, terrain, views, elevations, and temperatures. I feel that I just got a taste of what the area has to offer and I'll definitely be back down there. Next time, I'll spend a few more days in the area and try some of your posted rides.
    Thanks again for putting up with an old fart. Great meeting both of you.

pdxcajun
  18. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    I am definitely planning a trip come the end of summer and my silly season. I really like the looks of that riding.
    The state of Utah should be paying you for your gas at least if not your internet connection. :lol3
  19. DirtyJohnny

DirtyJohnny BR 549

Oddometer:
    RRR, Great pics! Looks like you are having a fantastic time with your internet friends. Nice to see more inmates exploring with you.

Mr. Head, Great Robert Earl keen quote! Was going to see him at the Grizzly Rose in Denver last month, but he broke his leg. :cry
  20. StG

StG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a fun ride! We can even crash R3's pool party afterwards:lol3.