1000mi Oregon Outback Loop From Bend

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by dvwalker, Sep 16, 2010.

1. dvwalker

dvwalker Lets go

Oddometer:
    The OR sections are really split between the western and eastern route to Bend. The western route travels thru a number of very nice national forests on less technical FS roads and 2 track. The eastern leg is much more wide open sage type areas on more technical 2 track, which can be very greasy when wet. Very simular to the NV sections.

Gas station in silver lake wasn't open when we traveled thru during the labor day holiday, do not know why (on vacation or limited hours), so worst case plan your gas distinace beween lakeview and cresent which is near 200 miles.
  2. SepticSkeptic

SepticSkeptic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll definitely call first, but it's good to hear they actually have gas, I'd been under the assumption that I'd best not plan on it being available. Even at $7.50 it'd be well worth it. I've already made use of many of your tracks, more would be welcome though :lol3.

I was talking to my Uncle who has been visiting the area for years about the closures, he was telling me about all the nice spots up in there, including the ones that now can only be hiked to, unfortunately he knows the area so well he never bothered saving tracks.

:thumb Thanks for the info.
  3. craftycoder

craftycoder Motobrain PDU

Oddometer:
    I've put together a tool for storing, sharing, and searching GPS files. As you can see, it also displays them in ADV. Take a look.

I finished it about 15 minutes ago and hope many people use it. The bigger the collection of files available the better it is for everyone.

This is how the file attached to this thread appears. Pretty cool I think.

Countdown, Big Dog, you guys have big collections of tracks. I'd love it if you were early adopters. Please take a look and let me know what features I can include to improve the system.
  4. dvwalker

dvwalker Lets go

Oddometer:
    craftycoder,

all I can say is good job :clap, you my friend have time on your hands. Ability to quickly interact with the track via google maps without downloading the gpx is very cool. Being able to popup the waypoint label on mouseover and zoom in/out is pretty cool. Would it be easy to include the gpx lat/long in the waypoint label properties?

If you do not mind, think I'll edit my original post and replace the static route pic with your interactive map.
  5. craftycoder

craftycoder Motobrain PDU

Oddometer:
    Mind? Not at all, that is the whole point of this exercise. As for time on my hands, I'm not so sure. I've got a 9 month old baby, who I take care of during the day, so I worked on this when I could. That was from 1800 to 0200 each day for the last 5 days. Unfortunately, the boy wakes up at 0530 which means I have been getting very little sleep of late.

Please post update your post, and furthermore, add more tracks to my database. If we get a critical mass of tracks in there it will become an incredibly useful resource for this community.

6. redpillar

redpillar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    any movement towards a ride report on this bad boy?
  7. dvwalker

dvwalker Lets go

Oddometer:
    I know, will probably wait to start a RR till winter after some of the in process TAT reports have abated
  8. redpillar

Oddometer:
    I am waiting in quiet anticipation...

Thanks
  9. redpillar

Oddometer:
    All I want for Christmas is a ride report!!!:clap:lol3
  10. Mike Ryder

Mike Ryder Kriegerkuh Supporter

Oddometer:
    Me too, love that area.

Merry Christmas YFFs
  11. redpillar

Oddometer:
    Hey you look just like me!! My kids look like that too.
  12. Mike Ryder

Mike Ryder Kriegerkuh Supporter

Oddometer:
    sorry
  13. CuStOm

CuStOm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome! I've been contemplating doing something like this. How did you verify that you were allowed to ride on all the land on your route? Some of it looks like it could potentially be private?
    Cheers
  14. BlackHawkChief

BlackHawkChief The Dude Abides

Oddometer:
    Oregon territories (Currently working abroad)
    did your website die?
  15. Lost Jack

Lost Jack n00b

Oddometer:
    I'll put my hand up with BlackHawkChief's. Does anyone have a gpx or other route file of this since the original hosting site is long gone?