Tiger XC accessories / farkles thread

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by Xcountry-Rider, Nov 4, 2012.

1. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    For me the only reason to buy an aftermarket exhaust is if I can find one that is narrower and allows me to pull in the luggage rack / cases. But even there - a few hundred bucks for one inch saved isn't really worth it. Only if you plan to keep your bike looooooooooong, which I generally don't ...
  2. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt Riding my blues away

Oddometer:
    Well Mr.Cug, I bought my LV second hand for $200. That's cheaper than the heated grips. It does allow me to mount the Jesse pannier tighter to the bike & it's not any louder than the stock can. But, it sure sounds better & I like the arrow tune.

[​IMG]
  3. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Yep. But it doesn't warm my hands while riding ... :lol3

And I couldn't care less about the sound or the thirsty Arrow map - range is too short as it is anyways.

That's the only reason I might consider a Scorpion or so if I see one for cheap, but to get them about one inch in, $200 is still a lot of money. I have the Jesse cases, too, and unfortunately, they were not honest on their website. It's 37 inches width with aftermarket exhaust, not with OEM.

The cases are nice, but I think it will be my first and only time with Jesse cases.

Next time I'll go with Touratech directly from Germany. At least I can mount them on any single Touratech rack.
  4. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt Riding my blues away

Oddometer:
    I only use the Jesse boxes for multi-day rides. I can't get used to having a wide bike. I squeeze thru tight areas all the time. I just feel like I might as well be in a cage. When I'm using the panniers, I have to constantly remind myself "wide load, wide load". I recently removed the racks to weigh the XC & have not put them back on again. I'll get around to weighing it soon & post up what it weighs. The first time, I had a full tank of gas, racks, guards, highway pegs, stock can, ect...

[​IMG]
  5. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Personally, the only reason I would look at an aftermarket pipe is for decent weight savings as long as it doesn't change the performance. The stock can is a little on the heavy side. I could care less about the sound.
  6. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Same here. They are wide ... I had a 32.5" setup on my R1200GS that I had before which was much, much better than the about 38" I have right now. As said, maybe I'll get a smaller can just for the 1" on the right side, but I also might not.

We'll see. Next time and on the next bike, I'll get a better and narrower luggage setup.
  7. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Yeah. That I hear a lot. And then (don't take it personal, I don't know how you look like) a 5'10" 250lbs guy gets on the bike ... :lol3

There isn't much I can loose on my frame (currently 6', 152lbs, runner and climber), so I might get something out of this, but again likely not enough to justify the expense.
  8. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    5'9 170 lbs. Not looking to shave ounces. I talking a pound or so. Just for the off road rides. The stock pipe is pretty large to the eye as well.
  9. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    I don't disagree. For me it's just not worth the money. You're shaving what, four pounds or so from a 500+ pound bike (including crashbars, farkles) ... not even worth thinking about it. That's under 1% ...
  10. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    the one and only reason I went for aftermarket pipe is to build my symmetric pannier racks and fit width with boxes into 85 cm of handlebar width. I measured many times and with stock pipe it was impossible.
  11. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, but I also went with Wolfman Expedition panniers rather than hard cases (with the exception of my top box but I dont use it while off road) so if you add all of the weight savings up together it can make quite a difference. Especially tackling sandy off road conditions. If you can save weight in some areas it also allows you to splurge in others. Like tools and camping gear.:wink:
  12. devians

devians n00b

Oddometer:
    Heya, do you have a link for that gps mount above the instrument cluster? (Not the mount for the gps itself but the mount for that)
  13. Moonsorrow

Moonsorrow Jesus

Oddometer:
  14. MuddySump

MuddySump Adventurer

Oddometer:
  15. freefall109

freefall109 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

:freaky Awesome...who has information on the center light mod in the front fender?
  16. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
  17. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
  18. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    The set-up you might want to look at is the Tiger1050. That has a single line to a block on the bottom yoke and then two lines to the calipers.

I used the Touratech kit to raise the front guard. Works fine.

But to allay your fears over the front guard shattering. The BMW guard is made from "abs" whereas the Tiger guard is made from Polypropylene. abs will shatter. PP will bend, flex and give. I don't think we'll have that problem.
  19. DropinParts

DropinParts Scrambler

Oddometer:
    Just picked up my new Tiger XC and went for my first ride yesterday. It was chilly late in the day and I noticed the hand guards are just to low to keep the cold air off your knuckles.

I see several different ones on this forum. While crash protection is a consideration, I am first looking for wind protection.

Any advice?
  20. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Best wind protection available from a purely handguard solution, is to use Barkbuster guards with the Storm plastic shields.

Next level of protection is a set of Hippo Hands.