Denver to Latin America for 3 months

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by WilderRider, Sep 6, 2012.

1. WilderRider

WilderRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got out for a nice walk. Here is the Central park.

[​IMG]

I also went to this church and this museum.

[​IMG]
  2. charliemike

charliemike wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was planning on doing the same trip in June...

Work (ie telecommute when I need to) all the way down to Panama and then reassess whether I could keep moving south. Damn bike broke down on departure day.... I'm going to be following closely.. want to see how you do on having internet access that you can work with!

Congrats! Enjoy the trip!
  3. WilderRider

WilderRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yesterday did my laundry. At this place just down the street.

[​IMG]

About $4.00 and it was ready the same day. Hard to beat.
  4. ES059MTK

ES059MTK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in!! :clap:clap:clap
    I would really like to do a similar trip!
  5. WilderRider

WilderRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Of course found the Starbucks. Did have coffee there this morning. Mostly to say that I did, but also to have a decent cup.

[​IMG]

Went past the monetary.

[​IMG]
  6. WilderRider

WilderRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Going back to yesterday, here is the inside of the museum.

[​IMG]

And of the church ( not the cathedral)

[​IMG]
  7. WilderRider

WilderRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe I should also explain the origami Yoda. The night before I left my daughter made it and gave it to me for my trip. She is going to check the thread too for pictures. He is based on a book my younger son was reading.
  8. WilderRider

WilderRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here he is on the roof this morning while I was doing a little reading.

[​IMG]
  9. WilderRider

WilderRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    After that I found the tram to the top of the hill.

[​IMG]

A great view of the city.

[​IMG]

You can see the cathedral toward the middle. The same one behind Yoda.

[​IMG]
  10. WilderRider

WilderRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    The top

[​IMG]
  11. WilderRider

WilderRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    So far it is working pretty well. I do pay attention to what places have it and even then there can be problems. As long as you don't need to be available 24/7 you can make it work.
  12. what car??

what car?? down the road

Oddometer:
    The picture of the band playing in the square: my gal and I had a beer on the opposite side of where your picture was taken, the first balcony window on the far left. You can see the window where we sat in.... Funny funny, small world... When you get down to Guatemala let me know, I can meet you for a beer if we're in the same area. If you plan on staying in Xela check out Hostal Don Diego, parking for the bike and a few blocks from the Central, it has internet access and is clean. If you stay in Antigua, check out Posada Vera, next to Hotel Primavera, also secure parking for the bike, but no internet. Right now I'm in Coban but will be on the move come Monday am. I want to check out the futbol match tomorrow, if tickets are available. Enjoy the ride!!

what car??
    from an hour north of you in Colorado
  13. WilderRider

WilderRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a plan. I am not sure when I will get there, but when I do I would love to meet up and grab a beer.

Plus thanks for the lodging tips. I really appreciate those. They sound just like what I need and want I want to know about them. Keep enjoying your journey.
  14. WilderRider

WilderRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Left Zacatecas this morning. Before I forget I will highly recommend Hostel Villa Colonial. It was very nice with a great staff and a nice private room. With a bath and shower for 300 pesos.

Great location too.

But today I headed to San Luis Potosi.

[​IMG]

Made it in about 2 1/2 hours. So I checked in to hostel. Unfortunately, no private rooms available, so my first dorm room. So far no one else has checked in so it might still be a private room.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. WilderRider

WilderRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not too bad for 150 pesos.
    This is the street.

[​IMG]

Did have time to wander around the historic district.

Nice churches.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pretty public squares too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They were having some kind of festival or something. But it may have been a normal Sunday.

I also stopped into the museum of masks. For about $1.50 you can see some weird ones.
    [​IMG]
  16. WilderRider

WilderRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, I think SLP suffers in comparison from Zacatecas. It is nice, but not as endearing.
  17. jackcbr600

jackcbr600 n00b

Oddometer:
    Wow! I would have never guessed mexico had such beautiful cities... Have safe an fun travels
  18. WilderRider

WilderRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    It definitely has some good ones. Not every one is a gem, but there is definitely a lot more to it than most Americans think. I hope I can unearth even more as I go.

Interestingly enough, I learned a little more about my own family history and some connections to Mexico I never knew about. Coincidentally (and fortuitously) I will be going by some of it in the coming days.

And to elaborate on my previous post, SLP seems more just business and a lot of American ones. Today I saw, a Walmart, KFC, Pizza Hut, Subway, McDonald's, Sears, even a Woolworths. My hostel is two blocks from the BurgerKing and three from the Office Depot.

I will also add my short story of my first time being pulled over by a cop in Mexico. It happened just as I was entering SLP today. A muni on a scooter and another on a 125 bike motioned me over.

I started in with the stupid American routine who did not speak Spanish. They tried to explain that I had gone over a bridge and motorcycles were not allowed at least on that one, At first I thought they were just concocting something because they did not do anything until after I went by ( and they could see my foreign plates)and there were certainly no signs about that. They may have been making it up, but they were both extremely friendly. The language barrier seemed to stump them so I launched into asking for directions to the street I wanted. After a bit of puzzling, the scooter cop motioned me to follow him. I was not sure if he was taking me to the station to find an interpreter or leading the way to my street. Of course, as with most of my trip, the better nature of people showed through. He took me to the street within spitting distance of the hostel. Even made sure to shake my hand before riding away. So a pleasant ( and helpful) experience overall.
    ONandOFF likes this.
  19. WilderRider

WilderRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice parking space.

[​IMG]
  20. alcanrider

alcanrider alcanrider

Oddometer:
    Enjoying this RR, and thank you for posting prices of your lodging.