Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. Rocky TFS

Rocky TFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How could I forget something as SIMPLE as that that I only use once every two years or so?:huh

How do you keep all this Byzantine stuff straight in your head?:lol3
  2. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    I decided to go back to 4.70 too, but I had already copied the file over to the gps when I saw your warning about switching to the Recreation profile. I let the gps apply 4.70 though I knew I was in one of my customized profiles. The update did bring me back to the Recreation profile, but it made no difference to the other profiles so once I changed profiles back to my Topo setup, it was exactly as before. So was my Canada Enhanced Basemap, and my Auto Nav profile. They were exactly as before the firmware change.

I think your warning is probably important if you're using a standard Garmin supplied profile, because that may be changed back to some default, but if your important profiles are ones you created yourself with names which Garmin hasn't chosen, then you're probably ok to leave it in whatever profile it's in when you change firmware versions.
  3. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Yes, I noticed this new behavior today myself. Previously (before v4.7) if your custom profile was the first profile in the Profiles List, when you did a Master Reset (which can happen depending upon how you do a software update) the first profile in the list was reset to Recreation but the "name" was not changed so it still had your custom profile name but was the Recreation profile and your profile was overwritten.

Now, it appears that all custom profiles are moved from the top to the bottom of the list and then the Recreation profile is rewritten and set to the current profile. This was one of my "please change this" behaviors that has now been fixed.:clap

Cheers,
  4. Madhouse

Madhouse Semi-Goodlookin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone that spoke up to help me get the City Navigator installed on the SD card on my Montana.
    Its working great and figured out how to make it work like the Nuvi that I keep in the car.
    Able to switch from CNNA to Topo with no problems.

Could not have done it without everyone's help.

Thanks Again!
  5. Rocky TFS

Oddometer:
    That's what we are here for.....you sure as hell can't depend on Garmin for a lot of this abstruse stuff. The wealth of information here and in the Wikispaces puts them to shame....if they had any, that is.:deal
  6. Rocky TFS

Oddometer:
    Yes, but most of us will still have to overwrite the Recreation Profile with our own if we want any functionality out of it. Why do they have to change anything? :huh
  7. cablebandit

cablebandit Web Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, before downgrading to 4.6 (the last stable, glove friendly firmware) I think I got most of my major issues with 4.9 resolved. I ended up installing 4.9 and then doing a master reset. As a result I now have distance to next (with lane assist) as well as the speed limit. The indicated speed also now changes to red again when exceeding the limit. I'll poke along some more with 4.9 and reserve final judgement for a little longer.

I guess the key here is to always do a master reset after any firmware update.

[​IMG]
  8. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Aside from having no dashboard at all, is there any way to get rid of the annoying speed limit field and its little red friend that pops up if you exceed it?
  9. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Not if you want to use the nuvi Dashboard.

P.S. My v4.90 started working as well after my second MR and third install. I'm not sure yet how good it's working still running scenario's.

Cheers,
  10. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Good that you're working now as well. EDIT: I finally had my wakeup call and understand what you were talking about. Yes, dist-to-next in the lane assist window is working for me as well.

I'm still fixated as to why my nuvi dashboard actually did come up with Dist to Next in the lefthand data field during one of my testing sessions.

Cheers,
  11. cablebandit

Oddometer:
    Stay off the highway. :deal :rofl
  12. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:

:fishie

:lol3
  13. phil ten

phil ten Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi

hope this is in the right place as im new to this board :huh

im still getting to grips with my Garmin Montana but have a small issue. When you go to the "where to?" icon on the main dashboard it brings up a list of ways you can navigate......like intersections, all POIs, addresses, routes, waypoints and so on.

Except my waypoint option has now gone??? :eek1 but i havent changed any options. you can go into a sub menu to change the order in which these options are displayed. When i do this "waypoints" is listed as an option but wont display when pressing "where to?" from the main dash screen!!

any ideas??
  14. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    I think a "Master Reset" will restore the "Waypoints" to the "Where To" menu on your gps.

To perform the master reset:

Power Montana off
    Press and hold finger on upper left side of display (be done in portrait or landscape mode)
    Power on device
    Continue holding until the Do you really want to erase all user data? message appears
    Release finger from upper left side of display
    Touch Erase
    Allow device up to 20 minutes to acquire satellite data with a clear view of sky
  15. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Of course this all assumes that there actually are Waypoints in the Waypoint Manager.

Cheers,
  16. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I guess I did a upgrade to my 600. To be honest, I don't remember being asked if I wanted to upgrade.
    But I have some of the issues described here. (Have to press hard on keys several times to make selections) and (I'm on a old well used road, and it shows me floating in space.)
    I'm concerned about two things: how hard is it to go back to 4.6? (If that's what I want) and the master reset.
    I have three profiles that are set up the way I want. I have 17 days of routes and tracks squared away for a Alaska trip along with other tracks. Will all that be gone when I hit master reset? I don't want to have to set up everything again.
    Thanks
    Jeff
  17. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Connect the Montana to your computer, and copy the Tracks, Profiles, etc., from the Montana to your PC.
  18. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    As was mentioned by Yossarian™, you should be in the habit of backing up your personal data when you are going to update software or do Master Reset's. To your question, a Master Reset will/should only change your "user settings" (User Data). It will not remove/change any of your Waypoint, Tracks, Routes, Photos, Geocaches, etc. When the Master Reset is complete, you only need to change your profile from Recreation back to your personal profile - which may have been moved to the bottom of the Profiles list.

Cheers,
  19. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok.. I'll back it up, and give the master reset a try.
    Thanks
  20. cablebandit

Oddometer:
    Yup, the only thing I ever seem to lose with a master reset is the trip computer information.

As always, backup first though just in case.