Insert clever airhead based title here ....

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by planktonnn, Aug 25, 2009.

?

I have been to the county of Fuckshire, it was ...

1. Nice?

43 vote(s)
    14.7%
  2. Nasty?

51 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. Nasty but nice?

205 vote(s)
    70.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. planktonnn

planktonnn .also, i am a tw@rt

Oddometer:
  2. planktonnn

Oddometer:
    Also post 5447.

It's not really clear why or how, but I got the A$$trail K75s to start. I dropped the bellypan & radiator grill & swapped out the battery for my old one, which had been on charge. This was a little bit of a task as it has a low seat fitted so it was a matter of removing the seat latch mechanism which clamps between the frame rails & stops the Fuel Injection Control Unit carrier just slipping out as it does when the standard seat is fitted. Out came the FICU carrier and in went the battery. It's too tired for regular use but was fit enough for this task, not least because it only has to turn over the 750 triple rather than a 1k twin, with resultant higher compression/battery load.

The bike was turned over and wouldn't fire so I proceeded to swap out the temp sensor relay (in the under tank box) as previously suggested. The bike then started and ran on the first poke. In spite of this I was unsure that the temp sensor relay was the issue so I popped the old one back in and the bike started first time again. Doesn't entirely make immediate sense does it... I guess it's one of those things where a bit of wire waggling has tweaked something back?

Either way the bike started and ran, as it had the last time Dave & Ian Dave Spannermen had a go at it. As previously mentioned they'd had it running for half an hour until it just stopped and wouldn't start again. I don't know whether the fan kicked in or not. On this occasion I ran the bike for about 15 mins and it was fine. When I say fine, well, there's a bit of a rattle which I feel is coming from the generator (or its cush drive?) and using the old 'screwdriver as a stethoscope' thing seemed to confirm the source of the noise, probably. There is a suggestion that it may be the pre-clutch engine output bearing, or the post clutch gearbox input bearing (unlikely on a recon gearbox no?). It's one of those things that's resonant sensitive, in that it's there at certain revs and not above or below that range, but still, that's not my problem...

I never got the bike up to a temp where the radiator fan kicked in, not least because the bike's stuffed in a back garden so not placed in a position where you can run it for ages without pissing someone off, so I can't really tell if the temp sensor causes the engine to kick out. The coolant system is charged, and the pipes get up to a running temp. The thermostat (which I replaced when the bike was mine) works as the radiator showed temperature. The fan certainly spins, in that when I reach in and turn it it's not stiff like they can be when they're gone. Of course, given the right amount of diss-assembly I could run power direct to the fan power feed to see if it whirrs, but I'm not digging that far into the problem at this time.

You see there's no front brake, and (for some unfathomable reason tho/ough quite probably A$$trail fiddling & forgetting) with absolutely no fluid in the system, and the rear tyre/ire flattens over a couple of days, probably due to a bad valve? It'll need another battery. There's no tax on it, no insurance as far as I know and I'm not even sure if it has a live MOT. So you see it's not as if the bike's going anywhere anytime soon. He needs to get some DOT4 fluid and sort the brakes tho/ough will probably try to get me to do it*, and the replacement rear shock he had Hagon build has seemingly blown a seal and also needs to go back to Hagon before the bike's even close to being usable.

That was a lovely well kept low mileage bike when I sold it to him some years ago. Since then he's totally ruined it. It's had two clutch replacements because he kept adjusting the bloody thing to get what he thinks of as a happy lever action, but that results in a clutch that's never fully engaged and slips slightly until it's worn out in 10k miles (!) as well as stretching the pushrod cover rubber until it splits & leaks gearbox oil... It's been written off twice in crashes, bought back from the insurers and I rebuilt it twice for free, even donating spares. He's run it out of oil or overfilled it goodness knows how many times, & knackered it completely yet he still thinks there's some kind of warranty on the bloody thing...

I've left A$$trail with the task of running the bike static for half an hour or so or until the fan kicks in or the bike stops again. If that happens then we'll look into it a bit further and see where we are with the Temperature Sender or some other problem, but otherwise the remaining issues are up to him to solve.

* A$$trail has a very irritating habit of trying to stretch/mission creep an agreement to encompass extra tasks above and beyond those first agreed. It's an old pattern. He once asked me to amalgamate 2 knackered laptops (same make/model) to produce one that functioned. and then whined that they didn't both work. As this was completed he turned up with another matched pair & tried to have then tacked onto the original job. He's done that countless times...
  3. rightsideup

rightsideup Get your motor running...

Oddometer:

You'd better let Brian Eno know about this?
  4. planktonnn

Oddometer:
    Well I would but I've had to block his calls as he seemed to have me on speed dial, he was always bothering me looking to steal more of my ideas...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/e9EkfGrkuEQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9EkfGrkuEQ
  5. rightsideup

rightsideup Get your motor running...

Oddometer:
    The shoulders of giants!
  6. planktonnn

Oddometer:
  7. planktonnn

Oddometer:
    Strange, my experience has been more like at the elbows of mediocrity...
  8. planktonnn

Oddometer:
  9. planktonnn

Oddometer:
  10. Thorazine

Thorazine Likes exhaust fumes

Oddometer:
    Lanesplittin Valhalla--Southern California
    So guess what dumb ass decided to do today?

To set the table: Temp: 101° F (&#8776; 38°C). You know on the /6 headlight nacelle the key can be turned to 5 positions, two of them you can pull the key out from (full forward = power all off, 2nd from full forward = parking lights)? Guess which position genius here sloppily left it in when he got to work and pulled out the key? (If you don't know me, work on that one and include 'dumb' in your factoring) Also, being that my school butts up right next to a mountain, I parked in the usual spot, closest to the buildings, at the bottom of the downhill slope.

Great day at work--students were helped & free BBQ lunch. Suit up to go home, all gear on (this is where you recall today's temperature, noted above). Go to start. Notice key is in 2nd to forward-most position. Muttering 'fuck me' to myself. Press starter button. Nothing. Few more times. Think Einstein's definition of idiocy about now. Same results.

Being a stubborn, lazy fuck, & not wanting to take off my helmet & leather, I push the bike uphill to the top of the parking lot, maybe 100-150 feet. Turn it around huffing & wheezing and seeing purple and green sparkles in my vision's periphery, and already dripping, I try to bump start it downhill. This method usually gives me 3 good tries. That's how steep the it is. Strike 1, strike 2, strike 3.

Mutter other obscenities at myself, I rest and try it again, this time w/o my helmet, and leather unzipped. Huffing it back up to the top, someone I sorta know sees me (fucking great), and says "bike problems?"

"No," replies Mr. Congeniality, "just trying to sweat off some weight." (To appreciate the irony of this retort, note my dimensions: 5'11" or 6', 165 lbs {&#8776; 1.65 meters, 74 kilos, 11.7 stone :1drink} his dimensions: same height, but no more than 385 lbs, 174 kilos, 27 stone :eek1). And I keep chugging on uphill, not giving as shit about our conversation. Get to the top, turn it around, legs wobbling and try to get oxygen back in my system, and my heartrate down below 200 bpm.

Then one of my former students sees me, and says to me: "Screw that, get on; I'll push." :freaky I can't even talk. Just nodded and hopped on, one eye shut from a perfectly-placed sweat droplet. Student pushes me downhill--fires up 1st try. I just wave, turn around, pass him and wave again as I leave.

So here I sit, still sweating an hour later, claiming this back. Don't fight me on this one:

[​IMG]
  11. chollo9

chollo9 Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer:
  12. planktonnn

Oddometer:
  13. rambozo

rambozo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't of bothered cleanin that rubbish:rofl what a waste of glue

Very cool trick though:clap
  14. chollo9

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fnyCJDYONSU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  15. rambozo

rambozo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl real nice jazz flute at the end, didn't know where that was goin:lol3
  16. chollo9

Oddometer:
    Canadians are some warped mofos!
  17. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love the Can Con (CBC speak for Canadian Content).

"Kids in the Hall" were hiLARIous.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uwlAvsPvPfg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6aMCs5XVYXM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  18. chollo9

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl A salesman at work and I were doing I'm clushing your head just the other day!

clush clush clush
  19. rambozo

rambozo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope you guys have watched trailer park boys, Canadian comedy at its finest
  20. Thorazine

Thorazine Likes exhaust fumes

Oddometer:
    Lanesplittin Valhalla--Southern California
    :super Loved the episode when Ricky kidnapped Alex Lifeson.

For you, Lornce--Keeping it Can Con real (drop the fucking puck already--the Kings have a Cup to defend): :1drink

<IFRAME height=315 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hrB_XCpWtO8" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

And Bubbles is right, Avery's an asshole (5:33).