The F5 Bivouac (rallye raid news) and W2RC - World cross country rally championship

Discussion in 'Racing' started by PackMule, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Yes but do they get terminated with enough payout to afford a Despres ?
  2. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    That is a question to which I do not (yet) have an answer. :lol3

I think I can pretty safely state we will not see Cyril Despres on a Speedbrain 450RR, but I don't think that is due to financial reasons.
  3. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :cry
  4. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:
    As long as he stays away from hrc. Even though I love rally I'd be happy for him to take up super bikes on Ducati ;)
  5. ric678

ric678 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yamaha? they were fast, they could always add another bike? dunno

Wasn't it just rider error that dropped them down
  6. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    I predict a move to auto.

He may be tantalizingly close to Peterhasels 6 victorys, if he was really after it he would stick with the best team and bike out there.

Maybe his back to back victorys are enough for him, and the dangers of racing two wheels have become a bit much with a young daughter sitting at home.

He also said farewell to his faithful water carrier and more importantly his mechenic.

I could be wrong on this, but wasn't that the same mechenic he had when he was at BMW?

If he was going to another bike team I think he would take his long time spanner twirler.

Travis Pastrana was rumored to take the second Quatar buggy next year, maybe it is another Red Bull sponsored rider that may actualy be behind the wheel...
  7. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Why?

Don't you want them to win?:deal
  8. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:
    'Tude
  9. doyle

Oddometer:
    KTM are due to roll out the new bike for 2014 which means they may not quite have the upper hand they they currently enjoy. I recall quite a few gearbox issues when the 690RR was debuted.

On the other hand, the HRC bike will be more than a year into development with several rallies under its belt. I don't see Despres going anything less than a full factory ride so in that, KTM and Honda are really the only viable options as it is right now. Yamaha, while a good bike, is a regional effort from Yamaha Europe or France depending on the team.

I suppose four wheels is an option, but for the record, I have only heard that rumor here and once on twitter. Look at the cars field, there is Mini with no challengers. A move to a buggy, quite frankly, would be a step backwards for a 5 time winner, even if making the jump for the first time and again, I would be surprised to see Despres step into anything other than a full factory effort whether it be 2 or 4 wheels.

Now if the old Citroen rumor becomes more prevalent, perhaps they could field a superteam of Seb Loeb and Cyril. An all French effort would be quite the news making event and a full Citroen factory push may be enough to entice Cyril to the dark side of 4 wheels. Short of that, I expect him to stay in bikes for another 2 to 3 years before making the switch, perhaps when Peterhansel makes the jump to trucks, that may be a good time to fill his seat at Mini. I just don't see the cars as being very competitive in the current state.
  10. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Mr Doyle, the voice of wisdom :thumb
  11. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Really?

I have only heard good reports about him from other people who have spent time with him, and I thought his daily updates at the Moroccan Rallye showed him to be pretty decent.

In interviews etc away from racing he has always seemed quite humble for one of the greatest riders to ride Dakar.

May be you just meet him at a bad time.
  12. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:

from Rallymaniacs FB page

While we are in the Tuareg Rally, KTM is here testing the new 450 Rallybike, with Marc Coma. Should try to get a photo while they are here......

:evil
  13. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  14. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

15. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Dang with all this speak of rally in Baja I totally missed this:

A PANAMERICAN DAKAR CHALLENGE

The Dakar Challenge is building on its success in South America, where it is present through the Desafío Ruta 40, by spreading its wings to the North American circuit with a double event. The plans were explained in detail this weekend to the drivers of the Baja 250 (USA), who were thrilled by the prospect of earning a place at the Dakar.

• [​IMG]

The Dakar Challenge has a keen eye for spotting new talents capable of shining in the world reference of off-road rallies, which could be hiding in any of the many countries with a motor sports culture. Just like South Africa and Australia, the United States are one of the countries whose terrains are perfect for off-road racing, a format which attracts many drivers and riders who have a special connection with the world of the Dakar. This is why the Baja 250 in San Felipe hosted the unveiling of the Dakar Challenge calendar last weekend, including a double event in the US circuit. For several years now, the cars racing on these tracks, especially in the SCORE category, have been allowed to take part in the Dakar. Roger Norman, the man in charge of the HDRA and SCORE INTERNATIONAL championships, agreed to make two of his major events part of the Dakar Challenge. The results at the Baja 500 (Mexico) and the Reno 500 (USA) will be combined to give two pilots (a car driver and a motorcycle rider) who meet the criteria a place at the 2014 Dakar.
    The principle of selecting two vehicles in each of the various legs of the Dakar Challenge will also apply to the other events organised this year. Therefore, at least eight up-and-coming drivers and riders will be on the start line of the Dakar next January, ready to spring a surprise.
    The legs of the Dakar Challenge
    May 31 – June 2: Tecate SCORE Baja 500 (Mexico)
    June 15–22: Desafío Ruta 40 (Argentina)
    June 20–23: Toyota Kalahari Botswana 1000 Desert Race (Botswana)
    July 12–14: Reno 500 (USA) September
    20–27: Australasian Safari (Australia)

[more]

Backed by its success in 2012, and the performance of its winners on the 2013 Dakar, the Dakar Challenge once again moves to a higher gear, with a selection extended to 5 events, now for 8 crowns. The Challenge will be contested on three continents: the Americas: North and South, Africa and Oceania. At the departure of the 2014 Dakar, there will be two representatives for each event: one on motorbikes and one in cars.
    The all-terrain rallies that are contested throughout the season will bring together enthusiasts from all countries and all directions. Often amateurs, these drivers sometimes reveal talent that cries out to be expressed against the best competitors in the discipline. It is precisely to give the most promising of them the opportunity to shine on the reference event that the Dakar Challenge was designed and created. Three rallies and two Bajas will support this broad initiative to detect the virtuosos of the handlebars and steering wheel. At each of them, the least experienced competitors (*) may register for the Dakar Challenge. At the end of the races, the best in the general classification will win registration for the 2014 Dakar.
    Eight vehicles will therefore depart on the Dakar after having been successful in the Dakar Challenge. The first meeting is fixed from 31 May to 2 June in Ensenada (Mexico) on the prestigious Baja 500 where the competitors will obtain a half-pass to be confirmed in July in Nevada. All the great North American names of the Dakar are already amongst the best performers in the prestigious Baja: Johnny Campbell, Quinn Cody, Jonah Street and Robby Gordon, … to mention only the winners…
    The timetable of Dakar Challenge events:

• From 31 May to 2 June 2013: Dakar Challenge USA 1: Baja 500**
    • From 15 to 22 June 2013: Desafío Ruta 40 - Dakar Series
    • From 20 to 23 June 2013: Toyota Kalahari Botswana 1000 Desert Race
    • From 12 to 14 July 2013: Dakar Challenge USA 2: Reno 500**
    • From 20 to 27 September 2013: Australasian Safari

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9FrMluJJL10" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

suddenly my race plans for 2013 have had a major shift...
  16. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    No doubt. 2 American amateurs headed to Dakar next January...very cool
  17. juames

juames Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer:
    Not sure, has anyone thought about the Stefan Pierer - CDP connection? Possible for Speedbrain and Husky to work together and have CDP riding for them?
  18. doyle

Oddometer:
    I don't think so. A top level Husky rally team at this point is an unnecessary redundancy for to Peirer/KTM crew though I have heard rumblings of a Husky effort being set up as a bit of a B team, perhaps a ladder team to try out new talent. If this is true, I applaud the effort. I think rallying at the pro-level is severely lacking any sort of step system to cultivate new talent.
  19. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Could be Canadien or Mexican too no?
  20. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you skip you geography class??
    Way back when I was in school in the 70's

I was taught that Canada and Mexico was part of North America
    ( so all the people of the region would be classified as AMERICANA )
    but I woud guess that stament was ment to say TWO more amateurs participants from the United States