The KTM300 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GasGas300, Jan 11, 2010.

1. ErricZ

ErricZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the recommendation, Fun Mart Cycle in Moline, IL had 2 of the Endurance models left for $40. They now had only 1 left. :) Just what I was looking for except the tacho ... and honestly, I don't think I'll miss it much. :clap
  2. ErricZ

ErricZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, pray tell, in which forum is this post supposed to be? OrangeCrush is for KTM v-twins, right? So then this forum is for single-cyl "4-strokes" only? Sorry but there is no single cylinder, 2-stroke specific forum that I can find, in fact, if you bothered to read the rules of this forum it says to post here.

If it has one cylinder (2 or 4 stroke), you're welcome to talk about it here. Technical questions and rider opinions about particular models, along with widgets specific for use on a Thumper. You know, that sorta stuff - bring it on.

Case closed, please don't waste your breath anymore.
  3. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

I put a IMS 3.7G tank on my '09 300 today and the left shroud doesn't fit. :scratch

Do you have to trim the top of it? It looks like that is the only way but I want to check here before I start carving on it.

Thanks!
  4. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    While were on that subject... I just bought the 25L Acerbis super-tanker for my '06 450 EXC (making it a kinda sorta a rally bike wannabe). It has a 13L on it now.

Does anybody know if the 13L Acerbis tank (stock on an '06 450 XC) will fit my '06 300 XC?
  5. GasGas300

GasGas300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Please read the rules for 'thumpers" - It's a sticky on the top of the first page. This is where this topic belongs.
  6. ErricZ

ErricZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, I just edited my post :) 'badcooky' obviously needs to do likewise.
  7. LILBIT

LILBIT Ride you must.

Oddometer:
    I ran a 380 after it then went to a 525 for better streetability. I didn't mind the two strokes that bad on the road except for the 5 speed. The 525MXC is now a 540EXC and i do believe it's a good compromise for me.

If i ran offroad only i'd run a 300.
  8. Death Dealer

Death Dealer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone riding these days? Pics please!
  9. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:
    +1000

My 300 is pretty new, and I am injured. Therefore, I have a psuedo-excuse as to why I have no recent photos, and "file photos".

Some of you guys are stuck in a winter from hell, which would explain your lack of recent photos. But, what about your "file photos"? Just sayin'...:dunno
  10. Pom

Pom Old fart on big bike

Oddometer:
    The Back of Beyond, SW Queensland, Australia
    Excuse my lack of knowledge, I am thinking of buying one of this baby KTMs and was wondering what the differences between the 250 and 300 are - apart from the extra 50cc that is...........
    cheers
    Pom
  11. RickA

RickA Fat Old Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

Pic taken of me and my 300 a week ago here in North Wales.

We had to turn back on most of the trails and eventually opted for the Pub instead. Great fun though. :D

Cheers, Rick.

Attached Files:

• 009.JPG
      009.JPG
      File size:
      92.7 KB
      Views:
  12. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:
    Nice pic.:thumb

I think me and my not-so-smooth throttle hand would have also opted for the "Pub".

I have an XC-W. From what I can tell, other than the bore (which makes the 50cc's you spoke of), the only difference I know of (between my 3-honey and the 250 XC-W) is the E-Start. Both are compatible with it, but the 300 comes with it.

Keep in mind that the above is just my ignorant opinion...You will probably be safer if you wait for some of the more "well-informed", of this thread, to chime-in.

The hell with it...Just get the 300! You know you want to...:lol3
  13. Pom

Pom Old fart on big bike

Oddometer:
    warrior
    many thanks for the prompt reply, it a I thought - I would rarther hear from someone with experience anyday over someone who has read about them lots
    cheers
    pom
  14. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    356 miles SE or 539 miles NW of Orla, Texas
    Pom, I've never ridden a 250, but other than the points made by WarriorPrince, I would expect there might be (quite) a few hp as the most notable difference.
  15. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:
    DirtJack does make a very good point.

In many "for sale" ads, that I see for used KTM "250" two-strokes, you will see the, "bike has 300 kit" words in the ad.

EDIT: Pom, After re-reading many of the last posts in this thread, I also had the opportunity to re-read mine (and yours). I hope my "well-informed" observation was not taken the wrong way. I actually meant it quite literally. I have been riding and wrenching on bikes for years. However, there are many gentlemen, in this thread, who have ten-times the experience with these 300's that I do. All I can offer is my very limited, and very humble, opinion.

16. Pom

Pom Old fart on big bike

Oddometer:
    Warrior, no, not at all, I have no knowledge of these funny two stroke things, so I really appreciate hearing from someone who has chosen to own them, rarther than many others who talk about what they don't really known about.
    Once again, many thanks, now to get some money out of wife............
    pom
  17. Death Dealer

Death Dealer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:
    Yes, since emissions are specific to the state, the title clear it for titling. No need for an inspection.

19. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    Emissions is a Fed thing that different states regulate differently when doing a conversion from OHV to street legal. Colorado does not inspect motorcycles for emissions on any level.
    In California, once a dirt bike - always a dirt bike, and they use emissions as one reason to eliminate (since 2004) the possibility of plating a dirt bike.

In Colorado, the reason it's essential the MSO or Bill of Sale has "for off road use only" on it, is to verify the vehicle has never been titled, so there's no requirement to do a title search to see if the machine had ever been street legal before. We are blessed with a very relaxed set of rules to comply with to make an offroad vehicle street legal (no speedo, turn signals, etc req'd).

new 2003 300 EXC, a bike I should never have let go of.

[​IMG]

2003 250 EXC I just bought to fix that mistake.

[​IMG]
  20. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:
    Maybe we are saying the same thing. A new KTM comes with a MSO without the words "for offroad use only". Since Colorado doesn't restrict registration of motorcycle, it can be registered-thus emissions are a local/state option.

Conversion of vehicles from non-titled or "off road use only" to road use is a state matter entirely and restricted by the feds.

Now, EPA regs for import are a federal thing all together.

So, are we saying something different?