Installing a CPR air filter on my 990

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by moto-treks, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Michhub

Michhub Major Medical Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine started to disintegrate....mounting tabs broken off and cracks all around...after only about 300-400 miles...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So what is the solution for the relocated crank case breather hose mount? Buy some longer hose?
    It is directly above the throttle body wiring cluster....:ear

[​IMG]
  2. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    When I received my new baseplate I noticed the new location of the breather and asked Chris at CPR Fab about the hose length. He said it should reach even if previously trimmed for the old mount. I think you need to route the hose between the throttle bodies. That what I'm going to try.

I've not tried to install it yet but looking at your pics I think I better have a look at my baseplate :eek1
  3. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    Do today, I decided to replace my original baseplate with the new improved version. I'm glad I did!

[​IMG]

After removing the temperature sensor I discovered that the holes for the mounting screws are too large on the new baseplate

[​IMG]

I guess it's off to the hardware store tomorrow to find a solution :huh
  4. Spark01

Spark01 V-Twin

Oddometer:
    Just a small question, (because mine still looks ok after couple of 1000 km's) .
    Are there small pockets made in the underside of the orginal old type base plate?.
    Because my tuner made total of 3 pockets in there (1x for the idle speed motor, 1x for the 2nd valve motor, 1x for the linkage of the second throttle, this was reported back to CPR in june).
    If those pockets aren't there then the base plate isn't straight on the throttle bodies (due to idle speed motor and/or the 2nd valve motor) and is put under a lot of stress.
    And can cause early life time failure of course.
    [​IMG]

P.S for the problem with your new base plate i would contact Chris at CPR, their customer service is good.
  5. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    Mine had only the one near the temp sensor. My 2nd valve motor didn't contact the base plate but the idle motor did ever so slightly.
  6. Michhub

Michhub Major Medical Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1.....but I had to create the relief myself....Chris told me the development was done with the secondary valves/motor/linkage removed. The new plate has relief all around...sorry no pics. The crank case vent line will reach....mine was caught between the frame and valve cover, once that was free...route between the throttle bodies and all was ok. The temp sensor mount for me was a bit tight but I put the screws in from the bottom up, the holes were smallish....just had to encourage the holes to loosen up with a poker....:huh

I also found the mounting of the filter to the new plate a total bitch....couldn't hook the lip for at least 20 minutes but now its a 'Honkin' good time :lol3
  7. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the new base is totally different on the bottom

[​IMG]
  8. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    Just about the time I decided to run to the hardware store for some bolts, Chris responded to an email I send confirming that there should have been 2 bolts with nyloc nuts - must have lost them :huh

Anyway, a short time later I had the temp sensor all mounted in the new baseplate

[​IMG]

The breather was a very tight fit. I tried for about a minute to get it to fit and just about the time I thought I'd have to enlarge the hole it popped in.

[​IMG]

Here is the new baseplate all ready to be mounted on the 990

[​IMG]
  9. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    You need to reroute the breather hose from the stock forward position to run between the throttle bodies.

[​IMG]

Like Michhub, I found the hose stuck between the valve cover/frame but it wasn't too hard to reroute it to between the throttle bodies.

[​IMG]

Even though I had cut the hose for the original mount it had enough material to match up to the new location on the baseplate.

[​IMG]
  10. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    Next was moving the wires located under the new breather hose location

[​IMG]

I cut a tie wrap or two and moved the wires out of the way so that I could get the hose connected.

[​IMG]

and then, repositioned the wires near the rear throttle body

[​IMG]

Here's the new baseplate mounted on the 990 waiting for a filter :D

[​IMG]

and all ready to go

[​IMG]

Just need to button the whole think back up and give it another test ride.

BTW, I had about 1k miles on the filter and it was a bit dirty on the outside be totally clean on the inside :thumb
  11. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer:
    I sure wish you had posted up that pic before yesterday. When I put the new baseplate on I screwed up and then had to take it apart again to put the valve on correctly. :lol3
    All of your pics are great! :D
  12. -GUV-

-GUV- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have just got back from my first ride since installing a CPR filter & removing the 2nd flys (shafts still in place), mine now has the expected induction noise but it also has an annoying whistle when I roll the throttle on, I thought that it might be air rushing through the screw holes in the fly shafts so I reinstalled the screws to no avail. Has anyone else had the same problem and found a solution?
  13. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    I've not heard that whistle. Have you tried reinstalling all of the secondary flys? You can always set them to 100% open with tuneECU.
  14. -GUV-

-GUV- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Funny that you suggest that, I've just been out testing again since reinstalling the flys, still whistles, it's similar to a leaking flange gasket only it is quiet during tame thottle use.
  15. -GUV-

-GUV- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rotated the rubber intake sleeves 180deg as they aren't very well port matched, no more noise.:clap
  16. Desmofan

Desmofan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Could you elaborate on "rubber intake sleeves rotated"? I installed the CPR on my 990SMT (secondary flies out, Wings, TuneEcu 7/21/12 "kevtx" map).

I had assumed the whistling at cracked throttle was just throttle body/butterfly noise now unmuffled?
  17. -GUV-

-GUV- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The rubber sleeves that hold the throttle bodys to the heads.
  18. -GUV-

-GUV- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A tip for adventure owners, while you have the throttle bodys off flip the securing rings (screw heads face right side) so that you only have take the right side tank off to remove them in the future if needed.
  19. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer:
    On my carbs I was able to flip and point them so I can reach in with a small handle screwdriver and remove the carbs with both tanks still installed. Only have to remove the glovebox & seat. I bet you can do the same with the TB's. Take a close look. :D
  20. olec

olec Rookie

Oddometer:
    Hi!

I will order one of these CPR filters but have a couple of Q's:

- Anyone tried those prefilters and do you feel the more restricted air-flow?
    - That breather hose, Maybe a stupid question, but do you have to route it to the inside? Why not just filter it on the outside and just leave that mess out.

Thanks!