Weep Hole leaking?

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by pecos, Mar 20, 2013.

1. pecos

pecos BAM!!

Oddometer:
    The small hole next to the timing hole on the left side of the engine is/was leaking oil.

What does that mean? Oil over filled? Engine filled with water?

Bike is a barn find. Have not gotten it started yet. Just curious.
  2. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    What model?
    Could be the drain hole for the starter motor. That could mean the crank case breather is piped to the wrong spot or clogged and leaking at the gasket into the starter area. Is the leak oil?
  3. More_Miles

More_Miles über-n00b

Oddometer:

Depends. Only way to find out is to pull the starter cover and look. It could be, but not limited to:

1. Broken crankcase vent hose
    2. Broken crank case vent "valve"
    3. Leaking timing chest gasket (what mine is doing)
    4. Some idiot took a syringe full of oil and put it in there as a joke. Hey, my friends would do it to me, and I'd return the favour in kind!

Over filling could exacerbate 1 and 2, 3 well, I'm living with it until I decide I've had enough and fix it. The last, oh they will pay!

Depending on how bad and annoying it is, I might borrow an idea from the Chrome Brigade. I understand a lot of them put a trimmed maxi pad in the breather cover to prevent oil blow by from dribbling. If you have it apart, pop one in there to wick up the excess. This assumes that the barn find is more or less turn key. It's always better to fix the problem then work around it.

Just my $0.02, adjusted for inflation.
  4. ME 109

ME 109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Badly leaking rms could allow oil to be flung up there.
  5. pecos

pecos BAM!!

Oddometer:
    r100/7

Yes, oil. Will look at it closer in the next few days.
  6. bmwhacker

bmwhacker Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer:
    Maybe you've never had an airhead engine cover off.....

The cover is just that, no connection into the crankcase, other than the breather passing through. The hole is there to shed water that could enter through the air intake opening on the top of the cover.

As ME 109 said, the starter and the flywheel opening live in there. Could be Rear Main Seal oil coming up.

Photo of R100S cover removed:

[​IMG]

(I had breather hoses circled for something else)

[​IMG]
  7. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    hey, I just painted my jugs. What did you use and how did it work out? Whats with the weird tank and the early style air cleaner housing?
  8. bmwhacker

Oddometer:

I used "Header Paint" on the jugs.

The "wierd" looking tank mount is a "Heinrich" tank mount. It has a "stud" that passes up into the tool box where it bolts into place.
    This thing gulps gas so needs the extra tank capacity. This is a relatively small Heinrich tank. Maybe a little over 8 gallons.

The R100S engine is a 1978 so it used the old filter cover. The extra long crankcase vent hose for that year engine was hard to find.
    No one seems to carry new ones, finally found a repalcement one on EBay.

Heinrich in place:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Plaka

Oddometer:
    Oh man, serious moto lust. I dream of finding a heinrich tank in a barn somewhere. I wake up sweating. I the drem thing on the rear fender a toolkit?

I have a newer model drum filter style airbox with the dual vent hoses, inc the hoses. Both the airbox and the top cover. I was going to polish them out. Need glass beading at minimum. I'm going to stay with my flat airbox. (have another one of those) too inc. top cover.). interested? (I'm trying to raise money for new brake lines. I'm poor).

An Item I got on ebay (and one of the last, I dislike the place) was a set of repro. Red turn signal lenses. Not the finest molding but look OK if you don't get right down real close. I used to have some OEM ones. Really look nice on the rear.
  10. bmwhacker

Oddometer:
    The Heinrich tank was a "barn find" on a hundred dollar bike I bought, so they're out there.
    The "drum" on the back is an old "Hodaka Ace" Tool can for junk storage. (my first bike was a Hodaka 90) The tool box in the top of the tank is pretty big and holds an overstuffed tool kit that smells of gas all the time since the cap is vented.
    I had a registration copy in the tool box, went to pull it out one time and the fumes had faded all the typing off the page. Handed the Cop a blank sheet of paper. He's like, "What's this?"
  11. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    I just wanted to get in line for the Heinrich tank lust. Does the one who aches the most get the tank? :lol3

The last time I got pulled over by a cop I couldn't find my registration. For some reason this guy tells me "Never mind." He doesn't even want to see it. He wrote me a ticket though. It was a Warning for the Red Light I had run.

Hacker, just because you found one in a barn doesn't mean "they are out there". You found the last one, how about that?
  12. Plaka

Oddometer:
    Oh no, there's another one.

it just got cut in half to make a BBQ tho'
  13. pecos

pecos BAM!!

Oddometer:
    Ha, maybe that is the issue. You can join disston at the bottom.