Gymkhana

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Vulfy, May 6, 2012.

1. Vulfy

Vulfy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The timer itself is pretty accurate, and holds a lot of laps to scroll through. However the triggering system is a bit cumbersome to set-up and sometimes doesn't pick up the signal, or can pick up some other infrared light source and start/stop your timer in the middle of the lap. I found it works for me about 90% of the time, and when it doesn't, it usually just needs a readjusting on the bike, or old batteries in the beacons.

As far as using this timer for GP8, yes, you need two beacons, set up on both sides of the start/finish line.

Those beacons are nothing more but an infrared light bulb. You can probably just get it at Radio Shack and strap it to a battery.
  2. Motogymkhanaman

Motogymkhanaman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With regard to quick & easy timing systems, I have found something that I think will do the trick.

I have written to the organisers of the event that this kit was built for to try and track down the designer. If I can persuade him to reveal his parts list and a wiring diagram then I will post it up ASAP.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/b-NDJuqeOBs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  3. Vulfy

Vulfy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This might have gotten lost, as it was the last post on the previous page, and might have gotten skipped over as the page turned, but this link has instructions and wiring diagrams for exactly what you guys are looking for.

As I said, the only reason I haven't built this, is that I never had any experience with assembling electronics.

I tried to outsource this to a few people I knew, but it never got off the ground.

Here is the link:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Laser-Sensor-Timer/
  4. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer:
    Not that this will help much since they are cheap, but I have a bunch of cheapo stopwatches if anyone wants to try this I can send or meet up to give one or two to someone.
  5. Motogymkhanaman

Motogymkhanaman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A variation on the Moto Gymkhana theme is Duel-Attack, a bit like drag racing only with a high degree of bike control involved. This video is of our group in Vietnam just having fun by running it as a team event.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/I-acYUXVIbw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  6. Vulfy

Vulfy Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I really like this idea. As much as time attacks are, a head to head competition is a good change of pace. We are definitely doing something similar this summer.
  7. pterus

pterus n00b

Oddometer:
  8. Sckill

Sckill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good practice session today. Vulfy, YamahaRN - any chance you guys have pictures from today?
  9. nuggets

nuggets It's all my fault...

Oddometer:
    It had been a long time since I did any gymkhana, but I made some time to get out today.

I took this fat girl for a dance:
    [​IMG]
  10. YamahaRN

YamahaRN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I put the ones I have on the fb page.
  11. Sckill

Sckill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  12. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    how about putting it here, so three days from now when Facebook changes something we'll still have access , please?
  13. tokyoklahoma

tokyoklahoma 75%has been 25%wanabe

Oddometer:
    Why not use something like this, so nothing has to be mounted to the bike?

http://www.wirelessdrivewayalarms.biz/product/60-512
  14. Vulfy

Vulfy Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I was looking for something like this, always see these things taped down on the roads! Had no idea what they are called or what to search for though. Thank you! Will definitely research more into in now.
  15. YamahaRN

YamahaRN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The only picture I got with a cone and a bike.

[​IMG]
  16. Bill_Z

Bill_Z Dude! chill,...

Oddometer:
    I'm late to the party but very interested in something like y'all have been discussing. It would seem better and cheaper than buying a lot of modules for the timer that I have now. I have added a second beacon to my front fender so that it will transmit in both directions to start/stop the timer regardless of which way I'm traveling. It works, but it'd get expensive quick if you had to have more than a few and then figure out how to mount them to various bikes for an attack event. I didn't mind putting velcro adhesive tape on my fender, but a lot of riders might flinch at that type of mount.

Any news on this new device?
  17. Bill_Z

Bill_Z Dude! chill,...

Oddometer:
    This is the timer that I am using now.
  18. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    zip tie to the fork leg?
  19. nuggets

nuggets It's all my fault...

Oddometer:
    I had an audience for a while today:

[​IMG]

I think I dragged an exhaust pipe on my cone?
    [​IMG]

The biggest limit to the V-star seems to be the cornering clearance. It drags the pegs pretty easily.
  20. tommysmothers

tommysmothers Flamesuit equipped

Oddometer:
    Going to give it a whirl this weekend. Thanks for the inspiration.

This may have been covered earlier, but do you guys warm up your tires beforehand?