A Loop Around Southern BC

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by cathulu, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Duas Rodas

Duas Rodas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yea the bugs can get pretty nasty in some of these areas at certain times of the year...just another reason why September is great for these kind of trips. A lot less bugs at the end of summer :D

Wow! I didn't know a KLR could do that! Obviously Vlad has better technic than me...got to ask him what the secret is.:1drink:lol3
  2. cathulu

cathulu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to break your bubble... Vlad just disturbed the moist gravel below cause his bike was so heavy
    :D

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2
  3. Scooter

Scooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ah ! Reminiscing about the good times had.

Yes the Deep sand going to the Big Bar Ferry was interesting. The top part was like I had ski's instead of wheel's on the bike. The deep sand drew you to the left and all you could do was hopefully ride it out. I made that part then passed the people in the stuck Van. I thought the last hill would be Ok, so I picked up a little speed. Down I went. The bike pointed down the cliff. The interesting part was trying to rock/throttle the bike off the cliff face. A bit intense as it kept slipping towards the edge. One left broken mirror down and I was on my way. Later on in the trip the busted mirror almost caused an accident. I stopped and veered left to look back for the other guy's and Chris almost took me out.
  4. PPCLI-Jim

PPCLI-Jim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know that feeling. I have now switched to mirrors that are on RAM mounts, nice sized and dont move when tightened down. well dont move unless you put some real pressure into them. They are some great mirrors and I recommend them.
    http://www.doubletakemirror.com/build/suzuki I use the long arm mount . the mirrors can be tucked away or removed by lossening 1 thumbscrew.
  5. motoged

motoged Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been riding my GS1100 over all that route since 1997 and think a skilled rider would have no real problem. I led a group of 22 BMW GS's over the China Head/Big Bar route with no significant issues in 1998 (BC Canyons Rally)...and as recently as July, 2012 led 20 dual sporters over the same route....it is my favourite BC ride :clap:clap

High bar Road (bench road south of Big Bar Ferry):

[​IMG]

West of China Head Pass (north end of Yalokum Valley):

[​IMG]

Tyax Lodge Camping:

[​IMG]

The mud up around Gang Ranch and Farwell Canyon can be like soup when it has rained :eek1
  6. cathulu

cathulu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wednesday September 12

OK where was I? Oh ya, we woke up to a beautiful morning. Weather was back on track. :clap

[​IMG]

Had a bit of brekky... I had to yell to get their attention hence the bit of shocked look :D

[​IMG]

One last trip down to the beach... and found these.

[​IMG]

And we are back on our way. This was a fun stretch of gravel on the way to Shuswap Lake.

[​IMG]

We gassed up here, at Daniels Store and Marina, in Seymour Arm - the Northern tip of Lake Shuswap. This marina ain't on google maps! They have a facebook page though. The gal that works / owns this place is a charm. Real fun lady and used to all the whippersnapers that show-up, so she easily bested us when it came to joking around and having one on. :lol3

They have a well stocked store and also sell liquor, place gets real busy in the summer, but after labour day things drop off. Lucky they are even open. Totally recommend this as a gas stop. Something like 60 people live here year round.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyways the gas is good.

[​IMG]

So our plan was to take the North Fork Forest Service Road and run with it down the Perry River to Highway 1 then slab it to Revelstoke. But the road was closed, had been for a few years even though the Province is supposed to fix it. We were contemplating going for it anyways... but reason prevailed.

We took the Gorge Forest Service Road which parallels the North Fork and has some nice views of Shuswap Lake as a bonus. The road was a lot of fun, but got busier and more active with logging the closer we got to Highway 1.

[​IMG]

Typical gravel.

[​IMG]

Active logging

[​IMG]

View of lake Shuswap. Very nice.

[​IMG]

Roadside flowers, late summer. My soft and tender side.

[​IMG]

We stop for a break

[​IMG]

Running down the active logging road. This took us to Highway 1.

[​IMG]

We ride into Revelstoke and get a room at the Swiss Chalet Motel. No they don't serve chicken there.

While figuring out where we are going to stay, some Tourism Revelstoke guy took our picture, who knows, next year we might end up in the travel guide. They want more motorcycles to be featured. :clap

[​IMG]

The Km for the day.

[​IMG]

We walk into Revelstoke for dinner. Revelstoke is famous for sleds and skiing. It has fantastic natural beauty. It is a nice little town.

[​IMG]

Dinner at the Village Idiot. We had a good time. The young handsome guy was a nephew of Vlad iirc. Vlad knows someone seemingly in all corners of BC.

[​IMG]

Then bed.
  7. cathulu

cathulu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thursday September 13

Well it was clear we were not going to complete the full route as shown below, we just don't have enough time - we are not making enough kms each day. We are old pansies in other words. :lol3

[​IMG]

So we decide it is time to make our way home a different route. This was a bit disappointing but necessary. We pack-up for departure.

[​IMG]

And get back on Highway 1, this time heading back the way we came. Heading west. We don't get very far before we are stopped for bridge work.

[​IMG]

We stop for a quick pic at 3 Valley Gap. There is a lake there that gets quite windy. We passed a powered-up windsurfer. My second off-road bike tour and again I see a windsurfer. Cool.

[​IMG]

Around 3 Valley Gap we get off Highway 1 and back on the gravel - our destination is the 3 Valley Mabel Forest Service Road. You can see an old cabin on the way there.

[​IMG]

The view from the old cabin.

[​IMG]

A butterfly lands on my luggage. A Lorquin's Admiral... learn something new every day.

[​IMG]

Yes we are going the right way. The road at km 0.

[​IMG]

Then we run into this on the gravel. This is Clark Stucktruck's tire. His name was Clark, I gave him the Stucktruck appellation. :D

[​IMG]

We try and help him out, but some twit overtightened his wheel nuts. They are stuck on something fierce. Despite all of our efforts, we only were able to loosen off one nut. I figure Stucktruck couldn't get the nuts off and tried to ride out on the flat, and totally destroyed his tire. Also his wheel studs by the sound of things.

We got help for him in the small community of Enderby. Not sure how it all ended-up. The cost for a tow is very high - more than $500 bucks - and the tow truck drivers don't want to drive out unless they know they will get paid. A stand-off.

One thing I learned is that Bell has the best cellphone coverage in BC. I was the only guy to have coverage many times. Rogers and Telus just don't have it.

[​IMG]

On the road to Enderby for lunch and to help Stucktruck, we run into our own problems. Vlad gets a flat. Fixed very quickly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next we have a long road section, we don't get back on the trails for a while. We roll through Armstrong BC and on to Highway 97 to get on the Douglas Lake Road.

[​IMG]

This guy in the Rona truck toasts his tire and comes to a stop. We smelt it burning for a couple of km while he drove on for a safe place to stop.

[​IMG]

Douglas Lake Road in the woods. It would later open up on the plateau. Scenic route, gravel very fast in the open.

[​IMG]

Cockpit shots on the Douglas Lake Road. Pick your weapon.
    Brian's Machine, busted mirror from his Big Bend Ferry get off.

[​IMG]

Vito's cockpit

[​IMG]

Vlad's cockpit

[​IMG]

My Cockpit. The chalkbag covers my gopro.

[​IMG]

Douglas Lake Cattle Company

[​IMG]

This gravel was very fast. I won't say how fast to avoid incriminating myself. :lol3

[​IMG]

The gravel turns to paved twisty road, which was also lots of fun. A nice change... which eventually lead to our campsite at the Monck Provincial Park on Nicola Lake. A nice spot for Brian to set-up. We all take our own sites. We camp in the closed section of the site, to get away from the RVs and to help with Brian's severe dog allergy. :lol3

Our plan: pay for the site, and leave no trace. Hence we need no facilities. We can walk to the washrooms. So we don't care that where we camp is closed. But of course there is somebody else that always does...

[​IMG]

The view from Vito's tent. Not to be enjoyed for long...

[​IMG]

The km.

[​IMG]

Lies! Suffice to say we moved our campsite at the request of Park's staff, which was justified with Lies! Outright, damnable lies, the lies of a bureaucrat. :huh

They did not heed my suggestion to come back in the morning with the cops to feel even better and kick us out. :D

At least that would have left us in peace for a good nights sleep. So we end up camping with the RVs. :cry

In the end it all worked out OK and we had a good laugh and nursed a drink or two. We were in the wrong, and our poor judgement was corrected. Another life lesson learned... man I am getting to old to keep making mistakes. When will I learn? Never! :lol3

[​IMG]
  8. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great report Chris, but I have a few more unwanted comments!

- Adams Lake morning shot looks very cold. Is that a mosquito in front of Vito's face???

- The North Fork FSR road only had 17km's of washouts. How bad could it possibly be? You guys are fags for not taking it!

- You certainly picked an appropriately named spot for dinner in Revelstoke!

- When you left Revelstoke in the morning, why did you wait behind all the other traffic at the bridge construction?
    Motorcycles always go to the front...............Fags!!

- When you were helping Clark Stucktruck to remove his wheel, did you forget that Chevy's right rear wheel is a left hand thread??

- I think Vlad needs a new pair of proctology gloves after repairing his flat tire!

- At Nicola Lake, why didn't you just tell the Ranger to FO and shoot him with bear spray?? Fags!!

Keep up the great report...............this looks like it was an epic ride!!

Cheers
  9. motoged

motoged Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:deal

You guys picked a nice loop to ride....so much to see....so little time...:ricky
  10. twisted-hog

twisted-hog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    enjoying your report and the unwanted comments :rofl
  11. Duas Rodas

Duas Rodas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK Brian, it seems your're looking for a few more details! See if I can help...

12. Mad_Kaw

Mad_Kaw n00b

Oddometer:
    I have to agree...some fantastic backroads in and around Revelstoke. I was riding down that way at the same time in a group with 3 KLRs and 1 KTM. Did the Mable Lake forestry road...terrific high speed gravel. Tried to go North from Hwy 1 up to Seymore Arm, but eventually turned back at a nasty washout. Enjoyed an evening under the patio heater at the Village Idiot. I'll certainly be going back and have a few more must see destinations, thanks to your report!
  13. cathulu

cathulu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ha ha some funny stuff in the comments. I like them. :D

Will wrap up the report this weekend. Sorry, slow and steady as she goes.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2
  14. cathulu

cathulu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I suffered a major bout of food poisoning - so the weekend was a bust. Feeling well this afternoon, so a bit more of the report. Nearly got her done.

Friday September 14

We awoke to a beautiful day that laid rest to the concerns of last night. :clap
    [​IMG]

Lucky for us we found a spot clear of RVs, but they were never far away - as on the other side of the road. Packing up.
    [​IMG]

Back on the gravel. This was a nice stretch of road.
    [​IMG]

Where were we? The Maka-Murray Lake Forest Service Road...
    [​IMG]

Vlad at speed.
    [​IMG]

Brian stretching his legs.
    [​IMG]

Vito rolling it.
    [​IMG]

Then you get to this part - a deactivated section of road. This was no problem for us. The only deal was it was narrow.
    [​IMG]

Road is still in good shape here, but got to watch for the locals.
    [​IMG]

A video of the road... nah, turns out it is too bouncy. Looks like crap. I need a chest mount!

We kick out onto high speed gravel roads. Dry and dusty. Brian
    [​IMG]

Vlad
    [​IMG]

Vito
    [​IMG]

Dust everywhere and throws your bike around. Vito looks like he might bin it but holds on. I think Vlad was there waiting for the shot. :D I know would have been waiting there also. :lol3 Gotta go where the action is.
    [​IMG]

A little video from the same spot. This guy was following me and I never even realized it. Not sure how long he was there. I got a bit of a wobble also.
    <iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jiMGUeR-JLA?feature=player_detailpage" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

Oops Vlad did it again. :lol3 Evidence is in the sand. Sand - the nemesis! And this sand was hard to find... I am not sure how Vlad even found it? :ear
    [​IMG]

Then we take the road to a campsite on Nahatlatch Lake... the dust on this road hung in the air like a fog. A never ending crap-fest of dust. :D

But the payoff was at the end - a fantastic campsite. Vito wondering if this is the spot?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note to self: get a bigger tent?
    [​IMG]

Finally we have settled down. Vlad and I are in the lake somewhere but mercifully out of the picture... Water is coldest we have encountered but not unbearable for a swim.
    [​IMG]

Time to get the fire rolling.
    [​IMG]

Camera Wars! Brian is still working out how his camera works. :D
    [​IMG]

I am a bit like Howard Hughes. Gotta keep clean even though I already was in the lake for a clean-up! :lol3:lol3
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow is our last day on the road to home...
  15. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    We are patiently waiting for the completion of this report.

WTF is happening??

Cheers
  16. cathulu

cathulu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK OK this happened on my last trip report. I just take too long doing them... next time someone else should do it. Anyways, I am an adult and sometimes I'd rather play my guitar. Suck it! :lol3

last day we awoke to a beautiful morning.

[​IMG]

We were worried the ride out would be equally as dusty as the ride in, but with the cool night air the moisture must have settled back into the road and held the dust down. The ride out was good. We went out on this road and then Harrison East FSR.
    [​IMG]

This is the road...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was a slide to navigate, this was worse earlier in the year according to Vito. slowly was improved.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A video of Vito passing the slide... easy peasy!
    <iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XM5lhN0_XE8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

slide behind us... road pushing us home ahead.
    [​IMG]

My tires are toast...
    [​IMG]

A bridge crossing, the road follows the river downwards to empty into Lake Harrison.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now we parallel Harrison Lake. Lots of camping along the lake the closer we get to the town of Harrison at the end of the lake. The closer we get, the more yahoos we find. :puke1

[​IMG]

Going in for a beer and some lunch. A popular pub for riders coming up from Vancouver.
    [​IMG]

The group shot, Our last meal together.
    [​IMG]

The days mileage.
    [​IMG]

And that's all folks. Kind of anti-climatic at the end. We dribble our way home, each of us leaving the highway at our exit. We waive goodbye, and sometimes not even that. The end. Till next time... when spirits rejuvenated, we take on a new challenge. :evil
    superfunkomatic likes this.
  17. cathulu

cathulu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, I am done now. :D
  18. Backcountryboy

Backcountryboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report. Loved all the new backroads to try next summer.
  19. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great report Chris........what do you have planned for next year??? My bike is getting closer to being completed once again!

Cold beer is in the shop fridge for you and Vito!!

Cheers
  20. PPCLI-Jim

PPCLI-Jim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome ride are you adding the trip to the TCAT or is is avalible somewhere else?