Top Ifve mods/add-ons for 990 ADV?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Jbone11 11, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Altego

Altego Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I vote for doing nothing. This is the damndest bike I have ever owned it really needs nothing. Do the side stand re-locator for piece of mind and then save your money for tires and fuel. Go ride the hell out of it :rofl
  2. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry...poor choice of words. Your description is much better:D
  3. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb Next paycheck I'll be picking up the side stand relocator I think but I'll be dmaned if I know when I'll have time to do anything else as I've definitely been riding the hell out of it!:evil

And Thanks for all the awesome feed back everyone! Lots to consider....but since Im going to be riding in the shittier slop of Fall and quite possibly early winter....as well as the fact that we had to buy a new truck recently, I'm leaning toward just few mods to keep costs down(excluding the side stand relocator of course):

1-HID mod...Ottawa drivers need all the help they can get to wake them up from their complacent slumber!
    2- Protective Crash Bars - Just incase the unthinkable happens!
    3-Stabalizer OR heated grips....Im on the fence on this one at the moment.

Im definitelly going to be doing the skid plate and will try to get my finances in order to do the forks and a nice 2-1 with either a Akro or Wings can. Other than that, Im going to have to do any other mods on a case by case basis as I also need to save for a trip down the Great Divide next year with another 990 buddy. About the only thing that'll keep me sain over the winter:jump
  4. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are wise Douf, to be sure. For the purposes of this particular thread Im concentrating on parts for the bike itself as I have learned from my time riding in the Italian Alps and Dolomites as well as the Apennines that warm, waterproof gear is a must for happy riding.

The coldest I've hit on the bike so far has been going over the Stelvio in early June....still lots of Snow with overcast and rainy conditions....the temps dropped to about 0C...maybe touch less AND believe it or not in Rome over the winter: Took my Ducati 748 to the shops and thought...."Geez...its chilly today!" then I rode past a scooter that had gone down on a giant puddle from a broken water main that was frozen solid:eek1....that ride sucked a bit... I remember huging the vents in the fairings at stop lights for warmth LOL!:lol3

As for agony in the hands....ugh...I know it brother. Heated gloves sound very appealing, just need to find a pair that are not too bulky. As for a jacket, I've found Im plenty warm with a good liner and outter protection, and considering I won't be doing more than short commuting in the colder months, I think I'll wait until next season for the electric vest/jacket.
  5. ABuck99

ABuck99 0.0

Oddometer:
    1. Cup holder
    2. USB 3.0 charge port for an iPad
    3. Sheepskin seat cover
    4.Stickers from each state
    5. Gremlin bell
  6. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can someone please explain this one to me???:huh
  7. Whec716

Whec716 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When you are on your epic ride you will sometimes notice a sheep. Grab said sheep, slice him open, gut him consume his yummy meat, then place the leftover across your bike.
  8. mgib

mgib Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    In reference to the entire post, I think he's pulling your leg...
  9. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3 nuff said!
  10. krumgrinder

krumgrinder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, he gotcha with that list... but don't take it too hard. When it gets down to 10° and there's frost on your seat you will looooove that sheepskin butt pad, DAMHIK. :D Plus, you'll get to listen to all manner of pithy comments from your friends and coworkers about pimped rides and what not. But, it's the same reason I run a Beadrider from May to Oct, for that matter, just the other end of the thermometer, dontcha know. Don't be an asshat slave to fashion- it's your ass, dammit! :rofl

Let's see, what are the first five things I did to my 990 (just bought it this past June):
    - Cee Bailey's windscreen and Bikemaster adj. mirrors- turbulence pretty much gone now (I commute daily at high speeds.)
    - CJ sidestand relocater- EXCELLENT quality insurance product for your engine.
    - Black Dog rear rack- EXCELLENT utility product as I need to pack crap to/fr work. Plus is ready to take RotopaX.
    - Found a used set of KTM/Trax black alum boxes and racks on the Parts subforum for a bit over 1/2 retail.
    - Black Dog skid plate- another EXCELLENT quality insurance product for your engine.

Disclaimer: I got the dealer to throw on the R model fuel map, and a set of crash bars for 1/2 price that I put on the week I got the bike, so not counting this- but easily could make the list.

Next five, currently working on:
    - Fuzeblock accessory switchable circuits fuse block
    - Heated grips and ProGrip Gel grips
    - Semi-mounted Heatroller for grips and portable dual Heatroller for jacket and gloves.
    - CJ oil drain hose kit
    - CJ sidestand height adjust mod w/big foot.

After that, depending on availability of funds, not necessarily in this order:
    - suspension mods- springs, revalving up front
    - ECU cable and TuneECU software
    - Barkbusters Storm handguards
    - Rottweiler intake kit
    - Euro headlight conversion w/HID
    - Pirelli Scorpion Rally front tire
    - slightly lower profile custom seat
  11. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very sound list of mods and future mods Krumgrinder. Nice call of the Black Dog rack as I have been considering the rotopax mounts for extra fuel/water capacity for future long hauls.:evil

A couple have me intrieged, namely the CJ oil drain hose kit and the Fuzeblock accessory switchable circuits fuse block. They both sound like useful mods....gonna have to go have read.:*sip*
  12. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Oil Drain hose is a Massive timesaver. Makes Oil changes a lot easier/cleaner/faster. I don't run enough extra electric items for the fuse block but I can understand the need. The rest of the list he posted is pretty good.
  13. KnightRider374

KnightRider374 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1) Get rid of the hot and heavy pigs and go for 2 into 1.
    2) Black Dog skid plate...'nuff said!
    3) Seat Concepts tall seat (or Renazco, or....)
    4) Gotta have power (under the tank plug)
    5) Oil change relocation

Too many other things it needs like suspension work, new tubeless wheels, steering stabilizer, and better lighting; among other things. Oh, and don't forget to at least add some fuel capacity for any long journey.
  14. Fundy Rider

Fundy Rider Where 2?

Oddometer:
    I'd first deal with some of the know issues to keep you from walking home and taking all the fun of riding the big KTM.

Sidestand relocator first and foremost as engine cases are expensive.

Replace clutch slave with aftermarket such as Oberon. Can loose your clutch any time.

Heated grips. No need to explain this one.

Better seat. Ditto to above.

A set of Akras as a gift to yourself just so you can hear the best sounding bike out there every time you hit that starter button.
  15. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    I've been running a Woody's front wheel (A60) and a TUbliss setup for 2 years without a problem. A bit more effort to make sure the pressures are setup but after that you and lower the front without much concern for pinches. Nice thing is you get a rimlock as part of the setup.

I did:
    - Blackdog skid plate (required if you ride offrad)
    - Blackdog side stand relocator (required if you ride offrad)
    - Remus 2 into 1 (saves about 15 lbs)
    - Rottweiler filter & custom Tune (gain about 10 hp)
    - Renazco seat
    - Stillwell suspension (awesome)
    - Removal of SMS & canister
    - 45 tooth rear sprocket
    - CJ rack
    - CJ adjustable sidestand
    - Sidestand switch removal
    - Rekluse auto clutch (mixed feeling on this)
    - High front fender
    - Second power outlet
    - Heated grips
    - FP Folding Levers
    - Moose Racing Handguards
    - Woody's offrad wheel-set
    - Woody's tubless "road" wheel-set
  16. Whec716

Whec716 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i'd like to hear about your mixed feelings on the rekluse.

17. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    The Rekluse definitely makes the 990 easier to ride in technical off-road conditions - no more engine stalls either. I installed it after riding a rocky/technical section of the OBDR (The guy following me said he had never seen a 990 ridden like a trials bike :lol3) and my impression was that this is a lifesaver. Totally transforms the bike. The only thing you need to get use to is limited braking with the engine. You can still use the engine to brake but sometimes you need to blip the throttle to reengage the clutch.

Everything was great until I attended a Jimmy Lewis Off-Road class. Now, I want more control over the clutch and I haven't been able to figure out how to do that with the Rekluse installed.

So, my mixed feelings are, the Rekluse clutch is great but with a little effort and training, not having the auto clutch may be better. The good thing is, it's only about 30 minutes to remove or install. I'm planning to remove it and go riding to see what I think. I may find that I still can't ride like Jimmy :rofl and just stick it back on. The other option I want to try is to back out the adjustment screw on the clutch slave to see if that gives me the control I'm looking for. This would be the best of both worlds - auto when you want it and manual when you what that.

BTW - On road the Rekluse is useless IMHO
  18. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well...its been a while and a bit of a long winter, but I've managed a few upgrades to the 990. to date, I've got the Black dog kickstand relocator kit, Slavens skid plate, Rally Raid windscreen, Portaper 1 1/8 Pastrana bars with HDB Next gen hand guards w/ mirrors, sw motech crash bars and Acerbis supermoto universal front high fender, also a 16t sprocket, but Im waiting for riding weather as I want to ride it as is before I swap it out for comparison.

After all of this, I will be taking a big break from the Farkle-bus to consentrate of riding as much as possible this season. Once fall hits, I think I'll look at suspension and 2-1 wings exhaust.
  19. krumgrinder

krumgrinder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, long rough winter, didn't have a chance to get my portable garage set up before ice and snow came (early, dammit) so bike sat covered with tender connected for much of the winter. Also had surgery to deal with in Feb, but still managed to get rides in every month of the winter again! Plans changed a bit since my original post, but I've edited it above to show results.
  20. AB13

AB13 Ridge Runner

Oddometer:
    Where did you get your light upgrades. Thanks AB:-)