Best Trails within 2 hours of Phoenix.

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by Zeid, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Zeid

Zeid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Alright, I know this place has a plethora of trails but I'm looking for something specific...

I'm looking for dirt roads / fire roads, whatever you want to call them as long as they are in good condition. Something you can get a little bit of speed up on and more than anything, trails that go through scenic areas. Ideally, I like areas that are flat, although some Mountain riding may be nice as well. Something you could easily take the family SUV up and down, that's what I'm looking for but in scenic areas. I've seen a fellow here who lives out in Wickenburg post some very nice photos like what I'm looking for. I know these exist, it's just tricky finding them.

It seems I've already found all the difficult trails, which I've had some very fun times on when I was one up, with all my luggage off and very low tire pressure. If I'm running knobbies and I'm one up I'll happily try just about anything. But most of the time I'm two up and am looking for trails that take me out into the natural beauty areas... Trails that are not too difficult with my 80/20's two up.

I've already done the Apache trail, not too fond of it as some of the areas get a bit rough and I don't like heights all that much. I did the front way into Crown King and really enjoyed it, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for. I've ridden the Florence-Kelvin highway and really enjoyed it although it gets a bit too hilly at the end.

Again, I'm looking for looooooooooooooooooooooooooong, dirt roads going across the flat desert into the middle of no where.

Any help is super greatly appreciated!

I'm looking for trails that you can just relax and enjoy the view on... Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esHv3KiUptI
  2. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    It sounds like you're not looking for "trails" at all. If you reword your title you may get better responses.
  3. mdsnitc

mdsnitc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cave Creek Road / N Seven Springs to Bloody basin is a fine road.
  4. fanatic291

fanatic291 Desert Tortoise

Oddometer:
    4 peaks road to A-Cross road-to Apache trail. It is a great loop.
  5. BELSTAFF

BELSTAFF ADV NOMAD

Oddometer:
    You said 2 hrs , if you would like some local scenery, diverse conditions & be safe in knowing you on approved paths, I will suggest the following:

#1 Around the peaks loop-41 mils

#2 Baja100 loop-104 mils

#3 Horse hat connector loop--4 mils (part of Fort Valley single track trail)

#4 Horse Hat ST loop-- 10 mils-- ("" "" "" "" "" "" )

#5 Lockett Meadow run--8 mils

#6 Mt. Eldon Lookout run--10 mils

#7 Schultz Pyramid ST loop--10 mils

#8 Youngs Canyon Double back loop--57 mils.

All information can be found (including maps) at the following web site

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coconino/recreation/ohv/?cid=stelprdb5446986

These probably would best to ride when its 110* in the valley as all North around Flagg

Happy Trails
  6. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    +1

The dirt road from San Manuel to Benson is pretty flat.
  7. Bigbugberg

Bigbugberg De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Alamo Lake
    FR300
    Young
    Hilside
    Campwood to Bagdad
    Williamson Valley Rd - Prescott to Ash Fork
    Chino Valley the Perkinsville

Google maps is your friend because you are looking for roads not trails.
  8. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    As one of my favorite tour guide routes, I vote Cave Creek Road north to Seven Springs Rd to Bloody Basin Rd. West onto Bloody Basin and climb out of it to Agua Fria Nat Monument. Hop on I-17 south back to Phoenix. This is a road any car can do, but it has some narrow spots and climbs out of Bloody Basin via dirt switchbacks, which can be a challenge aboard a heavy motorcycle if you lose momentum at the apex. The surface of these roads can be a little bumpy in spots due to babyhead rocks showing above the graded surface. There are a couple water crossings but they have a concrete bottom so no problem and they are only a couple inches deep anyway.

I've ridden Four Peaks Rd and A Cross Rd. I think they are a little more technical and require a smaller more dirt oriented motorcycle.
  9. DOD

DOD rider #5

Oddometer:
    Hard to find dirt that is smoother than the Apache trail or Flatter than the F-K highway.

Lots of nice two lane pavement around here. The 60 between Wickenburg and I10 is straight, flat and scenic.

-dod
  10. seabee1

seabee1 we build, we fight

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you might enjoy jumping on a canal road and riding it to wherever it takes you.
  11. Zeid

Zeid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the help folks. Indeed, I guess I'm looking more for service roads/fire roads than trails. A lot of these are quite mountainous but I plan on doing them anyways. A lot of these routes I'm not quite sure how to find but most I have been able too. I appreciate all the help. Might try to Alamo lake trail today, it looks like just what I'm searching for. Thanks again and if there are anymore suggestions or pictures please post! :clap
  12. armourbl

armourbl Adventure Life

Oddometer:
    Have to say, this is probably all true under dry conditions, but if there has been rain I'd avoid it. You may even want to avoid for a while after a rain. I was up there a couple of weeks ago and it was a muddy, rutted to all hell and back mess. When this drys out, it won't be passable with a car. You'll need clearance. Probably not an issue on a bike, but expect some nasty ruts.

From my mud ride there...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. mr.slowpokey

mr.slowpokey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Holy smokes!!!! I can say I wouldn't want to even try and walk in that stuff. :eek1