A dumb question about chains...

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by raider, Oct 30, 2010.

1. raider

raider Big red dog

Oddometer:
    It's not about lubing, I promise!

Are chain links from different manufacturers interchangeable? I used to carry two master links and a chain breaker/press on my DR650, in case I busted a chain. I found these in a mouldering box in my garage yesterday - they're RK 525XSO links, which RK's none-too-helpful application guide lists as "900cc on road / 750cc off road".

My 800 still has the CZ 525 SDZ chain on it - will the RK links work in a CZ chain? Are things like roller size and plate width standardised on all 525 chains?
  2. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    They may work, but try them first to make sure. Unfortunately they're different between brands usually.
  3. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    I've tried several times, but never been lucky...

Even if they "seemed" to work they might not be toleranced correctly... I'd buy the "matching" master link.
  4. raider

raider Big red dog

Oddometer:
    It doesn't sound good.

Anyone want two sealed-in-factory-bag RK XSO master links? :deal
  5. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    I'll put any chain together on the trail with whatever links I have. In my garage I buy the links with the chain and match the manufacturers. What are you saving by using the old links?
  6. flubbyhog

flubbyhog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As long as it's a 525 chain, everythings the same. Pitch, roller diameter, roller width, overall width, everything. Make sure you put the master link clip on with the opening facing away from the direction of roatation.
  7. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Are you talking about CZ chains in particular? I know for a fact that even between just DID models not all chain links will interchange.
  8. raider

raider Big red dog

Oddometer:
    I can't get replacement links for the CZ chain in Australia. So I'm not saving anything, I'm having a spare part, or not. It's a digital problem, not analogue!
  9. raider

raider Big red dog

Oddometer:
    Yes, I noted on the DID spec-sheet that their three different 525s have different roller and pin diameters and plate thicknesses.
  10. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    Sorry.

Doesn't BMW sell chain links (I thought they were CZ chains)? What about the recall on the chain?

David
  11. raider

raider Big red dog

Oddometer:
    To my knowledge, BMW Australia do neither, but I have to confess I haven't looked into it too hard. Basically I used to carry these links for a bike that got punished a lot more than this one, found them again, wondered if they were worth keeping.

Apparently not, but since I will soon need to buy a new chain, maybe they will be useful again one day!