Road Testing my Spud (prototype II)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by PapaYolk, Oct 3, 2011.

1. PapaYolk

PapaYolk happy camper

Oddometer:
    It's rough around the edges, not unlike the bent old hands that made it, but Spud, the prototype of my Idaho Bedroll (patent pen.), is done and needs tested in the field. “Yes. It's a need.” I explain to the wife as I pack meat and beer.

[​IMG]

Come. Sit. Three Fingered Tim will share a tale.

[​IMG]

It came first to my dreams, troubled my sleep then soon my days. A still small voice intoning, “Build the bed, it will take you places.”

[​IMG]

So I built it. Let the places begin.

[​IMG]
    Uke likes this.
  2. Spartandude

Spartandude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome trailer.:clap

:lurk
  3. Superhawk

Superhawk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    nice work !
  4. PapaYolk

PapaYolk happy camper

Oddometer:
    Got a late start from Roswell. Up US95 to Weiser where I stopped to pick up a deer tag at Bi-Mart. Part of the concept behind my bed roll is the ability to just ride and stop whenever the fancy strikes and have a bed to stow one's boots under. Rolling through Midvale the shadows were getting long so I started looking for a spot to camp. I see down to my right where the old highway used to cross a long gone bridge along the river.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It happened to be at a trail access to the Weiser River trail that was the old rail line from Weiser up to Tamarack, so it had an out house. Slept with the top off, under the stars. When I woke and saw Orion rising over the canyon I broke camp in the dark and headed out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Uke likes this.
  5. BrockEvan

BrockEvan Brock Warwick Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk

I hope there is moar to this!
  6. Norhasken

Norhasken Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer:
    More...
  7. PapaYolk

PapaYolk happy camper

Oddometer:
    Stopped and made coffee at Evergreen campground along the river north of Counsel.

[​IMG]

Then up and over into the Little Salmon drainage at New Meadows to follow down (North) to Riggens where it runs into the Salmon.

[​IMG]

Stopped for breakfast in White Bird: meat and beer.

[​IMG]

Took the old grade to climb out of the canyon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Uke likes this.
  8. Norhasken

Norhasken Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer:
    What a handy little trailer. :clap
    Uke likes this.
  9. PapaYolk

PapaYolk happy camper

Oddometer:

You ain't seen nothing yet. I took out the TV because where I'm headed it's hard to even get radio. Pulls sweet through the twesties. Light with a center of gravity lower than a set of truck nuts. The deep-cell is slung down between the half-axles and the gun locker is right over the running gear. The cargo bed is only 24” X 34”. The nose is just a light bedding and coat storage shell, All the weight is over the galley/cargo-box. It pulls like a small, low trunk on a long neck.

Opens with one hand. Stop for a rest. Pop a beer and pull her open with your free hand. Instant couch. The bed and support legs have dropped down. That simple.

[​IMG]
    fryortuck and Uke like this.
  10. PapaYolk

PapaYolk happy camper

Oddometer:
    From Grangeville I dropped into the Clearwater drainage and enjoyed the ride up 14 to Elk City were I gassed and asked the way to Dixie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From Grangville I dropped into the Clearwater drainage and enjoyed the ride to Elk City were I gassed and asked the way to Dixie.

I made it to to Dixie Town and beyond before dark. I camped among the trunks of tall timber reaching for light from a steep valley. Two cluttered hunter camps sided the dirt road. I pulled along a far table within a stone's throw of the privy making the third leg of a good defensive triangle. If a bear became covetous of my pork splattered galley a cross fire might aid my distress.

Camp fires and purposeful men loading four-wheelers wake me before light. I lay in my bunk watching. It is cold but wool and down blankets top me and an electric bunk pad held the cold from below at bay. The sky begins to wipe away the stars. My single shot rifle is on the pic-nick table under my leather jacket, in easy reach. This is about as far as my hunting skills go theses days. Should a deer pass as I: set cooking, wake from napping, fumble about looking for my cane or beer opener, or set strapping on my leg brace – it's back strap steaks are mine.

No pics. Moved down the road at light.

[​IMG]
    Uke likes this.
  11. PapaYolk

PapaYolk happy camper

Oddometer:
    Dropped the rig along the road and scouted ahead for a camp spot.

[​IMG]

Spot found, I bring up Spud, unhitch and rolled her into the woods. I strap my leather jacket to the bike and leave my helmet on a stump. I'm a kid again, with a loaded gun, license to kill, and miles of wilderness to ride. Can't really road hunt on a bike or you'll soon glance too long at that might-really-be-a-buck and lose the road. But one can bump and glide along, butt firmly planted in the saddle, ball cap backwards, shirt sleeves a flapping and grin splitting the gray face hair..

[​IMG]

Off to Macy Bar

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Uke likes this.
  12. n16ht5

n16ht5 ride the night

Oddometer:
    cool trip, nice pad
  13. Crusier Dude

Crusier Dude pavement inspecter

Oddometer:
    Hey PapaYoke,

You are LIVIN THE DREAM, good for you. I am amazed at where you are riding that BIG ROAD BIKE.

Keep up the GOOODDDDD LIIIIVVVVVVIIIINNN.

Les
    Uke likes this.
  14. PapaYolk

PapaYolk happy camper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Uke likes this.
  15. JUNBUG

JUNBUG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm diggin the spud.:D What does it weigh full of gear.
  16. ridgerunnerinla

ridgerunnerinla Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Man it was good for you to post all of this. I have been all of the places that you have posted about . Its been a few years, makes me want to go back up there.

Sam
  17. PapaYolk

PapaYolk happy camper

Oddometer:
    Hey, Bug. My woman call's my rig Bed Bug, My proto, with off the shelf running gear, steel frame, plywood shell, recycled milk jug skin, is 127 lb. With shore power units 161lb. Gear 28lb, air compressor
    4 lb-- makes 193lbs. Add 12lb of guns and ammo= 205.

The production unit with foam composite shell and aluminum frame will be around 99 lb.-- with galley and Spud”s 6'3” bunk.
  18. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    Spud looks good. I drove through Roswell today. Spud must be shy, I didn't see it. :D
  19. PapaYolk

PapaYolk happy camper

Oddometer:
    It was the first time up the Clearwater for me. Wonderful Ride.
  20. AustinJake

AustinJake DR650 - Versys

Oddometer:
    Awesome invention, I remember reading your posting last year about you starting this project, am glad you got to this point and I wish you luck in getting this done to completion!