F800GS "Drop-In" Fork Replacement?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by PenultimateMan, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Emig racing F800 kit is a set of custom billet triples that I have specced with bores to suit Showa RMZ 450 forks. They come with top and bottom triple, stem, steering damper, and bar clamp.

I already have the forks, so it's a bolt up job. The axle will fit the right hand fork leg as is, and the left hand leg with a sleeve.

Standard wheel, standard spacers.

I make a bracket for the ABS sensor. Run single disc, with a caliper that fits the RMZ mount. I have a 4 piston caliper in mind.

Eventually I upgrade the disc to a 320mm one with after market motard caliper spacer.

Done deal.
  2. biodieselandon

biodieselandon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have rode my '13 F8 enough to realize the new suspension needs improvement. Hoping Ohlins comes up with a solution soon... Especially for the electronic.
  3. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    keep dreaming.

I think the reality is that any kit they make will tempt people to take the F8 off road. As in, proper off road.

There the average punter will kill or main him/herself in minutes and the surviving family will sue everyone and anyone they can.

Hence, no one will ever make an off the shelf kit to make the F8 work off road.

that's just my interwebz based opinion though.
  4. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why is it that every time I buy suspension parts that I'm really keen to have, the US suffers some sort of massive storm/blizzard/flood etc?

I had a set of forks go missing when I was desperate for them, and they spent 9 weeks buried in snow near NY. I actually opened a case on eBay and got my money back before they were delivered to my door some 10 weeks or so after they were sent. Paypal wasted no time in taking the money back after I told them. They also wasted no time in settling the claim in the first place, so no complaint from me. The seller was grateful because he got his money too when we thought all would be lost.

I'm just waiting to see how long this lot gets delayed. Knowing the luck I've had with this BMW, my triple clamps are probably on the replica of the Bounty.:lol3

Such is life.
  5. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    My triples have cleared customs.

I can hardly wait. I have chest pains, I'm so excited.

Either that or 5 large cappuccino's per day is a bad thing.

I feel a build thread coming. Or is that indigestion from all the coffee acid?

Only time will tell.
  6. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    It appears customs is holding my parts hostage pending some sort of cash donation.

Dirty Fascist bastards.
  7. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Well there is a limit to how much shit per shipment you are allowed to import for free.

Consider yourself lucky in Austrialia and the US (around $1000?), in Europe you pay VAT (20-30%) plus duties (around 10%) for everything that's worth more than $25! :eek1
  8. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stop it with the logic.

They have my shit....they want to charge me money for it.

That's outrageous. We should have some sort of civil war over it.

The only consolation for me is that I wired the HVAC system at Customs House, and I did a really cheap shit job. This summer they will suffer. Oh yes they will.
  9. grndzr0

grndzr0 its Ground Zero

Oddometer:
    Or perhaps revolutionary war??

Ryan
  10. Hamish71

Hamish71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can partially answer this question. Im 40, 120kg all kitted up, and the stock 45s (2009)were crap. I had springs and oil done and they were much better, but not GREAT.

Just traded on a 2013. The 43mm are better, to me, than the stock 45mm. Less dive, more plush...but not as good as my improved 45's, and sstill not GREAT.

I havnt had the new ones apart. I am working ona cunning plan with Lukas. Pics in about a month I reckon.
  11. Hamish71

Hamish71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep...what he said :)
  12. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't wait to see them too.

I just have to fill out some paperwork, pay the fee they'll assess what duty is due, which should take about 2 weeks.

Then they'll mail out an assessment of the duty to be paid, I pay it, then they get released.

Should take another week.

What a shit system. Protectionism at work, because there are so many quality aftermarket manufacturers here (that's sarcasm, they're all shit).

Some of the local work I've seen could be replicated with a carton of beer, an angle grinder, an oxy set and a bit of luck.

As an aside, I'm sick of working with tradesmen so shit that I can't accurately describe how shit they are. Or the Chinese fly in/fly out workforce...oh God...I can't believe they don't die in far higher numbers. Dumb luck at work.
  13. kaijb

kaijb ianb

Oddometer:
    You miss the point. The shite work done by immigrants is far far more palatable than the shite work done by locals after we subsidise their training and they charge us twice as much. It is so like the whole import or buy local debate wrapped up as humans.
  14. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't you dare use logic on me.

Your logic will not work on me, Jedi. For I am immune to logic.

Bastards have my shit and they're charging me ridiculous amounts to get it. Just the paperwork fees are stupid. Not to mention, they charge you for storage while you sort the paperwork.

Customs is so very important though, because they've stopped so many important security threats....oh...no...wait....they haven't. They let every one walk right on in.

They do, however, manage to catch me every single time I fly, and put me through the whole special search process. Because so many planes are blown up by middle aged white ex Defence members with 14 years service that have held top secret clearances.

Fuckwits.
  15. grndzr0

grndzr0 its Ground Zero

Oddometer:
    You made my evening!

Ryan
  16. DoWorkSon

DoWorkSon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are the 2012 forks different from previous years? I spoke to traxxion and they were not sure.
  17. grndzr0

grndzr0 its Ground Zero

Oddometer:

2012 not different

2013 different

Ryan
  18. ontic

ontic

Oddometer:
    I guess that is lesson learned- but as a fellow front end swapper on the G/S (custom triples, damper, amongst tonnes of other stuff shipped around the world) I do feel for you. I had a recent package stopped and held by customs for a while, new rear wheel and some other stuff, and thought I was going to go through all that. I knew I was cutting it fine on that package... As it happened, the seller from Germany had included shipping costs into the declared value (which brought it over the Aus$1000 limit).

All I had to do was email them an invoice showing that the actual value of the goods was less than Aus$1K and they sent it on through. It wasn't far below $1K, but on the exchange rate on the day the invoice was processed (which is how they work it out), it was just under.
    I've read many people saying (on here and elsewhere) that shipping costs are included in the customs valuation- they are NOT. Confirmed to me by two customs people on the phone, and confirmed to me by not having to pay anything extra to get my stuff, which with shipping was well over the $1K.

One of the customs agents also told me that the storage fees threat is usually just that- its basically to make sure that people don't leave their big bulky crap with them for ages. If you are prompt and deal with this quickly you shouldn't have to pay that bit- at least you've got a good argument to not pay it.

It is clear you don't like sneaky jedi logic, but at least you know for next time. If your package has a declared value around Aus$1000 or more, it would take a system or human error for them not to stop it and investigate. Even if you didn't know about this, you actually asked for it:D.
    And think about it this way, you could be in NZ and be dealing with a NZ$500 limit- that's not easy with monopoly money:lol3 Aus$1000 is enough to cover most things if you split up your orders like everyone else.

[​IMG]
  19. BcDano

BcDano One Lucky Dude

Oddometer:
  20. PenultimateMan

PenultimateMan Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    Did Konflict fully replace the internals of the forks? How much was the work that they did? Details, man! DETAILS!