Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by RedRockRider, Sep 16, 2011.

1. ALinUTAH

ALinUTAH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wife and I were there Sunday and Monday nights. #8 was out of the afternoon wind and shady. When we told the friendly neighbors that we only had enough water for one night they shared their water, grilled tri-tip and Jack Daniels and we stayed another night. Awesome place! Al

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. RedRockRider

RedRockRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is the sunrise from my sleeping bag. Dad was already awake and down at the overlook. I was sleeping in. :lol3

[​IMG]

I hopped on my bike and rode down to the overlook. First direct sun rays were just hitting the canyon. The river was still in the shadows.

[​IMG]

Quickly found Dad. He was all set up doing his thing. :clap

[​IMG]

After a bit, we doubled back to the campsite. Time for a relaxing morning and breakfast. We planned to go back to the overlook about noon. Wanted to get some pics with full sun on the river. Here is our camp at mid-morning.

[​IMG]

Short hike. Scenery near the campsite. :nod

[​IMG]

Our bikes near the picnic tables. The group site has a very nice set-up and probably the most privacy.

[​IMG]

Dad relaxing, mid-way through breakfast. We took advantage of all the table space and spread out. :D

[​IMG]

After packing up we ride back down to the overlook.

[​IMG]

Here's my promo bit for Wolfman. Waiting for my free stuff . . . can always use another Wolf Holster. :wink:

[​IMG]

In the "parking lots" getting ready to go take pictures. :clap We carried all our camping gear, gas, water, food, and Dad's tripod. No problem.

[​IMG]

Looking downstream. In addition to taking pics, I was using binoculars to watch rafters set-up and run Lava Falls. Saw five clean runs, all right on line. One kayak guy took a tumble but immediately got back up. I assume that is standard for kayaks in big whitewater.

[​IMG]

Here's Dad. Probably from about where he took the prior pic of me.

[​IMG]

Another shot of Dad in his natural element. We spent at least two hours enjoying the various views. Really nice to appreciate the vastness and beauty of the canyon.

[​IMG]

Looking upstream in full sun. No shade on river.

[​IMG]

Time to go. :deal

[​IMG]

The scenery close to the rim is so nice. We stopped often to take more pics. Beautiful blue sky. Figured we'd twist the throttle and burn up the miles once we got closer to Colorado City and especially back on pavement.

[​IMG]

The mighty TW with gear.

[​IMG]

Open road and perfect skies. Vastness of the AZ Strip!

[​IMG]

Definite stop at the old grader. :thumb

[​IMG]

Blue sky helps this pic alot. :D

[​IMG]

Details. This old grader is a real gem.

[​IMG]

We start to move north, but still stop for a tumbleweed shot.

[​IMG]

And Dad with the road ahead.

[​IMG]

Our exit plan is via Colorado City. Combined with the Mount Trumbull Schoolhouse, this makes a nice loop.

[​IMG]

Skyscape.

[​IMG]

Dad and I settled in to our "leapfrog" pattern. Here's my shot of roadside scenery. There is a stretch of this road through the Black Rocks that is very scenic.

[​IMG]

How about this for a sense of scale?

[​IMG]

We reconnect and shift off the lead.

[​IMG]

More scenery shots. On good days, the AZ Strip is a dual sport paradise. :clap

[​IMG]

By late afternoon we can the Vermillion Cliffs behind Colorado City. It was a good ride with Dad. The overnight makes the trip. We call the two women in our lives. All is well on the home front. Time for a relaxed pavement ride plus dinner on the way back to St. George.

[​IMG]

Final pic. Highly recommend the moto camping. Get out and ride.

[​IMG]

Thanks inmates and lurkers. Appreciate all the positive comments and PMs. Have fun, stay safe! :beer
  3. RedRockRider

RedRockRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fantastic, Al. Looks like temp plate on the new V-Strom (from MotoZoo, St. George). Bikes looks good, all set up with boxes and stickers!

Great pics. Glad you had a good trip. Not much at Tuweep, heh? :lol3
  4. ALinUTAH

ALinUTAH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The stickers are the most important accessories. Looking forward to many long rides and many new stickers from faraway lands! Al
  5. SparkyL

SparkyL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey RRR,

Between your awesome thread and a recent auto trip through your area, I'm thinking about re-careering and re-locating out of Dirty Jersey. Man, what a beautiful corner of the world. Please keep it coming.
    And tell Dad he rocks!

Thanks.

Dave
  6. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    RRR,
    You've had a number of shots from behind your dad throughout your SW UT thread, and they all have been just classic ADV shots!:clap

Oh what cherished time with you continue to have with your dad, some of us just have the memories.

Thank you again for bringing "us" along.:wave
  7. RedRockRider

RedRockRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did the moto shuttle to/from Brian Head yesterday. Very windy. Wanted to bring the Vulcan back to St. George for riding IronMan support this weekend. Looks like it'll be a good event. City is packed with athletes.

Avoided I-15 coming and going. Always best to take the scenic route, especially since I was riding the WRR up, getting in position for the summer riding season.

Downtown Pinto. :lol3 :lol3 :lol3

[​IMG]

Stopped in to check out the cemetery on the edge of town.

[​IMG]

Quite a few old gravestones in good shape. Lots of local history revealed in this marker.

[​IMG]

A little further up the road is the Page Ranch House.

[​IMG]

Plaque. Interesting.

[​IMG]

Old wagon out front.

[​IMG]

And old farm equipment.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Star on the map shows the location. Although it is dirt, you could get here with any road bike except perhaps a Goldwing or FJR.

[​IMG]

Active mines and a private short-haul rail line in the area. Did I say it was cold and windy? :eek1

[​IMG]

Exploring a side track near one of the abandoned mines.

[​IMG]

Cattle operations.

[​IMG]

Comstock Road, west of Cedar City, near the mines. Used to be paved, long ago.

[​IMG]

Near Iron Springs.

[​IMG]

This "artwork" probably originated somewhere else, not southern Utah. One must appreciate a certain talent here.

[​IMG]

Perhaps my favorite pic of the day.

[​IMG]

A few more of the UP engine. These things are huge!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Approximate location of the rail yard. :deal

[​IMG]

Another old house.

[​IMG]

This one in Summit, UT. Nice paved frontage road to Parowan.

[​IMG]

Picked up the Vulcan in Brian Head. Continued up to Cedar Breaks. This road won't be open for another month.

[​IMG]

Loop down towards Panguitch Lake, then cut-off to Mammoth Creek. Great paved roads. It is amazing how fast the snow disappears once you drop 1,000 ft elevation from Brian Head.

[​IMG]

Mammoth Creek at peak run-off. Probably enough water flow for the inflatable kayaks to really get rippin'. But it would be cold. And you could end up walking alot, or picking your way through debris jams.

[​IMG]

Quick stop at McDonald Lake, just off Highway 89 near Alton. High water. A side trip to Alton is worthwhile if you find yourself in the area with extra time. Scenic road.

[​IMG]

Lots of great sweepers on 89. :clap

[​IMG]

Classic.

[​IMG]

Details.

[​IMG][​IMG]

We all know where this is . . . :wink:

[​IMG]

Finally warmed up down low. Home through Zion.

[​IMG]

Thanks for ridin' along. Stay safe out there. :thumb
  8. DirtReeper

DirtReeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    RRR Was nice to meet you and your dad the other day. I ended up not making it to Tuweap due to KLaiRe having heart palpitations, so off to the mechanic we went instead. now shes back together and in a new break in period :evil so far running like a totally different bike :D cant wait for the break in to be over, course thatll only be about three days as much as I ride. ANNNNDDDDD since this is the So. Utah rides section, Im going to go ahead and through out the plug for the Flying Monkey Adventure Rally check it out in the upcoming section of ADV it was a great time last year so get out to it you FF's!!! :clap
  9. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    Someday I will have time to get over to that overlook. OK, near that overlook. It will take a great deal of effort on my part to overcome my thing about heights to get onto that overlook.:lol3

Great stuff.
  10. RedRockRider

RedRockRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did moto support for St. George Ironman 70.3 yesterday. Good times. I carried the same photographer I had last year. He wanted pics mostly in Snow Canyon which was fine with me. This was the crux of the bike route and the most scenic area.

Here's the Vulcan with the magic green sticker that lets you ride anywhere for the day. This pic is just below the Dixie sign on Red Hills Parkway.

[​IMG]

A few of the men leaders on the steep climbs in Snow Canyon. These guys were all pushing big gears and moving quickly up these grades. The shorter course, 70.3 vs. the full Ironman really kept the pace fast. Impressive athletes. :clap

[​IMG]

My photographer laying down to get his shots. This was a bit later, but still early in the pack. These racers have a bit more of a sense of humor. One called out to ask me if the guy in the white helmet was dead. The lead 25 pros guys never talked, picked up their heads or made eye contact. All business.

[​IMG]

The beginning of the amateur riders in Snow Canyon.

[​IMG]

We drove back down to the bottom of Snow Canyon to get pics of riders dropping into the dip. Enjoy 10 feet of downhill before the big climb. :lol3

[​IMG]

Center of town at T2, the transition from bike to run.

[​IMG]

Bikers dismount.

[​IMG]

My photographer stayed in town to photo the run. I went back out to Snow Canyon to get some pics of the signs and encourage the stragglers. Still quite an accomplishment.

[​IMG]

I heard a few of the cyclists laughing as they passed this sign.

[​IMG]

Excellent weather. No wind. Very fast times. Men's winners had overall times of less than 4 hours.

[​IMG]

More signs in Snow Canyon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the top, just before the big right turn and the fast run back in to St. George.

[​IMG]

Ironman will want more moto volunteers in St. George next year. The 70.3 format is a huge success. Many more pros and amateurs. If you have a bigger moto and want to carry someone two-up, plan on it for next May. Also have moto job for single riders. Excellent event.
  11. RockinTheRVA

RockinTheRVA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome adventures. Thanks so much for sharing!

Can't wait to get out for some rides like these on my new CRF230L.
  12. DirtyJohnny

DirtyJohnny BR 549

Oddometer:
    RRR, Nice pics of your latest adventures:clap
  13. RedRockRider

RedRockRider Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. G19Tony

G19Tony Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That last picture... Wow! :clap

Just became my new wallpaper. Tell your Dad, Thanks. :D
  15. bomose

bomose Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your Dad takes stunning pictures. Never been to Toroweap. Barb and I will have to go next time we're out there. Thanks for being a tour guide.
  16. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tell your Dad, thanks for the great photos!
  17. ringokelly

ringokelly Been here awhile

Oddometer:

RRR took me out there and I can attest, that overlook will make your groin suck up! Pretty dang high! Don't slip.....:eek1:eek1
  18. notsofasteddie

notsofasteddie Semi Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    OK, I just gotta say that picture of your dad's of the sunrise at Toroweap is one of the best shots from that spot I have ever seen, and living around this part of the country for over 30 years, I've seen a bunch. (And your pictures are always way above par also - you're sure no slouch).

Also, thanks for the picture of the Page Ranch House. The Robert Richey (Dan Page's grandfather) is my great-great-grandfather. My mom (now 95 and close to the end of her time here) and her siblings used to tell the story of how they stopped at the Page Ranch on their move from near Monroe, Utah to Ruth, Nevada in about 1926 (her uncle, her mom, her sister and three brothers and all their belongings in one old car - real Grapes of Wrath type stuff).

That day I PM'd you about the county sheriff advising me to turn back on the way to Diamond Valley I ended up in Pine Valley and spent time hiking around the little lake there before meeting my son in St. George. Old Robert Richey was one of the first group to settle Pine Valley in 1855.

Thanks for all the work you do on posting up continually.

Ed
  19. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been following all still Red Rock Rider.

But got really excited seeing your trip to Turaweep---me and my buddy Dingweeds where there April 16th.
    Nice weather---headed to Fredonia and it all of a sudden got down in the 20's----stayed the old Grand Canyon Motel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think we got there on a different route than you took

[​IMG]

This was just a small part of a 14 day ride of 2,500 miles on a huge loop.

That story is at the link below if your interested---this trip included an unwanted helicopter ride to the ER when a lady riding with us (LDF--Francine) hit her head severely on the "Old Mojave Road" in California------it's a good read---with pics of course. Her boyfriend (Dr. Rock) hit the emergency button on his spot tracker and here came the chopper.

http://www.bigdogadventures.com/1Mobius11.htm

BigDog
  20. RedRockRider

RedRockRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you, inmates. Also thanks for all the positive PMs, and star ratings. :D

There are some creative names out there in ADV-land. Ride safe, recent visitors:

Desertwater, SquidRavioli, DirtyJohnny, samthg, Duhfactor, G19Tony, MTNClimber0331, DCZ, ringokelly, eakins, davesupreme, eveRide, Superhawk, Byork, Signal, TheAdmiral, NSFW, Bob, MSH, dave6253, bfilk, BidDogAdventures.com, Questor, mountainfever, ram350, tuna101, fly2hi96, mefadv, Deadweight, plumbstraight, StG, red_ryder, chrish4ku, trevor2k, bomose, bdarling, robincx, Oldone, markbgardner, ALinUTAH, SparkyL, DirtReeper, Mr Head, RockinTheRVA, notsofasteddie