Ducati MultiStrada 1200

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Paulvt1, Sep 10, 2008.

1. biggziff

biggziff Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer:
  2. Scoisgreat

Scoisgreat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    TOOO funny but oh so true .:lol3
  3. deWog

deWog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep me too; had that Rizoma water pump guard on my Streetfighter. A crash left me in no doubt that the pretty Rizoma unit is the best design to effect a force at just the correct angle as the twist the water pump off the crank housing.

Worst design ever!!!!

True, and it's the reason that Sachs have (correctly) labelled their Skyhook product "semi-active". I would hope Ohlins are at least as honest with their claims.....
  4. Pampero

Pampero Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was thinking of you when I said that. Your posts about it "back there" were eye opening and disturbing. I actually haven't suffered the problem, was just playing off of BZ (I know he can take it!). I can do a blind test anytime I want. I just take off my glasses.:lol3
  5. Dave.0

Dave.0 on the spectrum

Oddometer:
    I have the altrider pump cover - looks pretty industrial, but would add protection if that part hit the ground - I also have the altrider sliders (which are huge) and it doesn't look like the pump could ever hit the ground with those on so both are probably not necessary

once again I have the altrider model - well made, functional, bolts up simply, allows placement of topcase or alternatively rotopax mount. Its a nice addition with many options to strap stuff to or mount stuff on.
  6. Pampero

Oddometer:
    For anyone actually looking to buy the Ohlins SCU, the word is that they are now on back order and that a price increase is expected. For better or worse, the product seems to be a commercial success.

Mine is now fully programmed for all modes and loads except enduro, which I kept stock.
  7. Scoisgreat

Scoisgreat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mike at Nichols Sports just got confirmation from Ohlins that he will recieve his second batch on June 13 and will ship mine same day , gotta love that kind of service . Still $312 . :D
  8. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had a great day out on mine yesterday. Lovely and warm and dry. Makes a change..
  9. Pampero

Oddometer:
    Dead thread five day bump.

I don't want a pickle......
  10. gkaan

gkaan Bikes on the Brain

Oddometer:
    Time for my first visit to a Ducati dealer with my new to me MTS. Dealer quoted me $599 plus parts for the 15k service. Just wondering how badly am i getting ripped off? What is everyone else paying?
  11. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    I went to the Duc dealer to get some handguard for my Versys and man that multistrada is a g-damn piece of jewelery from one end to the other.

How much hap do they make?

Also they appear to be a little top heavy, at least more than my Versys.
  12. Pampero

Oddometer:
    The 15K is a major service, and that's par for the course, not too bad actually. You'll need a belt, oil and filter, whatever shims the valves may or may not take, replace fluids (coolant, brake fluid) if necessary, and if you need brake pads, add those in too. It takes an experienced mechanic the better part of a working day to disassemble the bike, do the work, walk around and check the called for items and reassemble the bike. A fair enough quote for labor.
  13. zvez

zvez Adventurer

Oddometer:
    that's a great price for that service.

14. desmodab

desmodab Oversized Canuck

Oddometer:
    I have read that service (15k miles/24k kms) is more like $1000-1500 because it's the "Desmo service" with the valve adjustment. I want to find somewhere to learn to do it myself for when it's off warranty... Plus I hate having someone else do something, I prefer to do it myself.

Doesn't sound too bad gkaan...

D
  15. Motodisiac

Motodisiac Moto Terrorist

Oddometer:
    If dealer does absolutely everything that is necessary for 15K service, he is going to lose money on this deal. It should be about double that. Remember, this service includes a lot of stuff down to fork fluid change.

D.

16. Pampero

Oddometer:
    I couched my words; yours (and Motodisac's) are more accurate. Agreed, an excellent deal for that much work.
  17. Pampero

Oddometer:
    Will run circles around the Kawasaki. Feel sublime once rolling. The only trick is, like all these long suspension bikes, climbing on board if you're shorter. More, much more, than twice the "hap"(?...HP?) your Versys makes. If by hap you mean "happiness" then multiply by four unless you drop it on it's side. That's not hap.

Nice to see the thread rolling again.

I rode a '13 demo today. Nice bike.
  18. Scoisgreat

Scoisgreat Adventurer

Oddometer:

150 HP. Happiness unlimited !:D
  19. Sideout

Sideout Noob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This should help - http://www.ducati.ms/forums/216-201...n-watercooled/194697-15k-service-example.html

For the sake of everyone here's a copy paste of the first post there:

"I just had the 15k service done and I thought I would share the expense so people would know what to expect.

11.75 hour labor, including:
    1hr for oil, filter, brake and clutch fluid change (coolant had been done two months ago under recal)
    3.5hr belts and valves
    2hr for head and hub bearing disassemble, clean, grease, etc
    1hr remove and instal forks
    1hr fork oil change
    1.25hr troubleshoot fuel gauge (warranty issue)
    2hr troubleshoot run out on discs (warranty issue)

Oil, filter, prices what you would expect
    8 shims $140
    Belts $140
    So the actual service was 8.5 hours.

In retrospect I would have bought this down a little by doing the head and hub bearings myself, brake fluid myself and taken the forks off for them to do.

Might help someone plan for their service."

So in short +1 on what Motodisiac and zvez said. And I would double check what would your dealer actually do as part of the 15K service they quoted you on.

20. t-bills

t-bills brushed aluminum

Oddometer:
    Notice it was $600 plus parts. Mine ended up being pretty much that. The belts alone will run you $150. Add in oil, filter, shims, etc. and you are looking at ~$800-1000 depending on how many shims, if you need brake pads, etc.

Changing the fork fluid is now off the table at 15k, so this reduces the hours quite a bit.