DAKAR 2016 Route Rumors

Discussion in 'Racing' started by charapa, Oct 13, 2014.

1. charapa

charapa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Huanuco, Peru, SA, home in Mid-Coast Maine, USA
  2. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    I thought Ecuador was an emphatic 'no'?
  4. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes but they will come around :D They have to!
  5. charapa

charapa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BB,

They have already sent a letter to ASO saying that the EMPHATICALLY want in for 2016! :deal:deal
  6. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    Good to know. Thanks.
  7. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Dakar Addict!

Oddometer:
  8. ZequeArgentina

ZequeArgentina Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, they are. Tierra del Fugo is not only an Island, is also a Province, which include southern hemisphere Argentinean island, including Malvinas.
    Part of Argentinean Constitution.

The plate issue was a big mistake (mistake?) from Top Gear; and overreaction in Tierra del Fuego, and later overreaction by Top Gear also.
  9. CBVRacing

CBVRacing CBVRacing

Oddometer:
    A bit of new ground would be great for 2016!
  10. Xtremjeepn

Xtremjeepn Motorhead!

Oddometer:

Maybe you can help us understand the issue?

Honest questions here.

The history I've read says that the first Europeans including the UK started claiming the uninhabited islands in the 1600s The current ownership of the islands by the UK happened in 1830 and the Argentinian constitution was written in 1853.

Seems that you can't simply claim a land in your constitution that already belongs to someone else. What am I missing here?

Then there is the issue that the UK allowed the inhabitants to vote on who owned them and they chose to be part of the UK.

Keep in mind, this is the history as I've read it after watching the Top Gear Special. So what am I missing here?
  11. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    You're missing the Argentina side of the story, and you're not understanding the Argentina mentality. I love, absolutely love, Argentina, but when it comes to holding a grudge, they're like Cuba. It's taking more than 50 years for Cubans on both sides of the border to stop arguing about normalizing relations, and still, Cuba is off limits to Americans except under certain conditions. Argentina feels like that about the Falklands.

In '82 I was stationed at NETC Newport, RI, when a British ship came in from the Falkland war. It had been hit be an Exocet missile, fired from an Argentina-flown French Mirage. Argentina got its ass handed to them, but they didn't give up easily. They lost, but they're Argentina, so they don't just... lose. They would rather die.

There are still land mines on Tierra del Fuego. For the next time the British invade. (Not that they're going to invade, but don't tell that to Argentina.)

I think that individual Argentinians like everybody. They're the nicest, most beautiful people. But in groups, especially with a little wine, the mob mentality comes quickly. I'm pretty sure they love everybody except the British. If I was British and sending vehicles to Argentina, I would first try to get French plates.
  12. patagon

patagon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To make a long story short, Argentina started its independence from Spain in1810 and formaly declared it in 1816.
    what you are missing is that by1830 there was an argentinean governor and population in Malvinas which was kicked out by the british when they took the Islands. At that time the country was involved in a civil war that ended in 1853 when the contitution was written and the islands were included.

Regarding British citizens visiting Argentina, there are a lot of them traveling Patagonia, etc. having fun with no problems. They just dont go around there making stupid jokes about a war were people died fighting. Since riders participating in Dakar are inteligent persons as Sam Sunderland and others I dont see any issues for them to have a good time here as they already had in the past Dakars held here.

As for the top gear problem they got what they came for. This is not the first time they do this type of stupid thing around the world...
  13. patagon

patagon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bananaman, just to clarify. The mine fields you perhaps saw in Tierra del Fuego are remains of a war that did not happen between Argentina and Chile back in 1978. If you traveled the Chilean side you must have seen other mine fields there. Nothing to do with Malvinas.
    Regarding bringing vehicles with British plates, the only issue you will have is to drive on the wrong side of the road.
  14. Xtremjeepn

Xtremjeepn Motorhead!

Oddometer:

Thanks for the Argentinian side of the story. That helps:freaky
  15. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fyi to South Americans call them the Malvinas.

Guys - Please lets keep the politics out of the racing section. :deal

I´ll let these ones above by because both sides of the story are represented and it might be interesting to some racing fanatics, but going forward I´ll be moving any further political comments to the basement.
    Thanks ! :thumb
  16. patagon

patagon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bluebull, I totaly agree with you.
    Going back to Racing, it would be wonderful to have a Dakar starting in Colombia and ending in BA.
    Back in 1948 there was a race that took place from BA to Caracas in Venezuela called Gran Premio de America del Sur. Fangio nearly lost his life in an accident in Peru during the race. It was a really crazy adventure racing that distance in 6 in line Chevys and V8 Fords from the 40s...
    http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gran_Premio_de_la_América_del_Sur_del_Turismo_Carretera
    If they could do it back in 1948, I am sure ASO can organize it today (if they can add Venezuela even better). For us here in Southamerica it woud be a nice re-make of that wonderful adventure. :freaky
  17. charapa

charapa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The BEST part of it would be (for us) is that the race would include the FULL length of Peru!! :norton:norton:norton
  18. charapa

charapa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. javillv34

javillv34 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    do not want to be pessimist but the problem is that ASO wanted in 2015, 14 million dollars for a south to north route which Peru categorically refused to pay (see the link)
    http://peru21.pe/deportes/rally-dakar-2015-preguntas-y-respuestas-sobre-peru-esta-competencia-2173892
    Problem is currently (2016) ASO asks the same amount of money and will be impossible because the minister offered him a limit of 4 million.

Also Peruvian government suggested ASO to seek the support of CANATUR and private entities in Peru for complete the missing amount, ASO walk upset about it.
    :cry
  20. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    I've already started mapping 2016.

[​IMG]

It's still missing some CP's, and starts, and finishes, and trails, and WP's and bivis. But it's close.