Baja 1000 for the Wounded

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Cornbread82, May 2, 2012.

1. pilo

pilo Rhymes with below

Oddometer:
    Alex at Konflict helped me out last year get my suspension dialed for V2R and Baja. He should get that bike smooth sailing...
  2. Cornbread82

Cornbread82 Sir Crash A Lot!

Oddometer:
    The great part about Konflict is Alex took a look at this thread and sent me an email wanting to help us out. You have to love a company that will go out of it's way in this economy giving back to our Warriors that have given so much for us. I have got some PM's from people telling me how good he is at dialing it in so I have no doubt that it will be better then anything that I have ever been on.

Ed gave him a call and talked to him about what they thought would be the best way to set it up and that is good enough for me. Suspension is nothing more then VOODOO to me, I have never even given it a try.:lol3
  3. wittyusername

wittyusername This is the spot for my custom title

Oddometer:
    I just posted up a new team blog on the website. It's been too long since I sent one of those out. I was really hoping to post one up a week but work keeps on getting in the way. There is some exciting upcoming events and fund raisers that we're hosting. We're very excited about it.

I'll be home from work in about 10 days and I'll be hitting the ground running. Lots of training and lots of fund raising.

Check out what we've been up to.

http://www.raceforthewounded.com/category/blog/

We're so thankful for everyone's support on this.

Scott
  4. Cornbread82

Oddometer:
    Man more bad news today!!!! Ed our ringer isn't going to be able to ride on the team due to personal things going on!! The good news is he is still part of the team and is going to keep helping us however he can. It looks as if Allan is getting bumped from chase truck to Rider :clap The silver lining is that Allan is another ringer for us:lol3 He has been racing with Ed and a few others on ADV for a long time in Baja so we will be leaning on him just like we were Ed.

Other stuff that is going on is the pre ride in Baja that we will be doing early Aug. Should be a good time and will be the first time that we all get to meet face to face. It looks like all of the riders are going to make the trip so we will keep all of you posted and get some video and pics up for you when we get back.

I went in for the MRI today on my shoulder, I should have the results in about 24 hrs. I hope that it is all good or I will be in a chase truck for the pre ride.
  5. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let me know if I can help out!!
    Ed knows my backgroud.
    Would love to put in a few miles on your race bike!!
  6. Cornbread82

Oddometer:
    Right now we got it with Allan, but you never know how life is with all the curveballs!!!!
  7. Lobster

Lobster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Team,

Just bought a T Shirt to help support. I love the idea. Best of luck to all of you and hope you all remain safe.

A fellow inmate and I tried to do something similar years ago... We tried to organize a ride in the Dakar to help raise money for Leader Dogs for the Blind. Our effort never got any traction and stalled out basically right after we got started. We never even got sponsor #1. I hope with the support of ADV you guys will do much better. (We didn't know of ADV at time time.)
  8. wittyusername

wittyusername This is the spot for my custom title

Oddometer:
    Hey Lobster - I just received your shirt order. Thanks!! We'll get it shipped out to you asap.

We're amazed how much support we've received on this endeavor. I'm sorry to hear that your Dakar project stalled out on you. There's always next year!

Thanks again!
    Scott
  9. Cornbread82

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the support Lobster!! Man the Dakar is big big money man, that is my along with most peoples #1 on the bucket list!! No way we could ever have the money for that unless my Redneck retirement plan works, "I win the Lotto":rofl
    I had no idea how the cost would get so high on this, when we started. Just like a Baja Noob to think that it would be something like racing WERA.....Hell I can just put everything in the truck and drive down race and drive home....What a JACKA$$:D I had no idea, but I will tell you without Ed, Allan, AirborneAndy, and John we would never be where we are right now with this. Not to mention the support we have been getting from the guy like you on ADV. Thanks agin and I hope that you try the Dakar thing again man, I would gladly go with you and help support!!

Brett
  10. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Just ordered a shirt. 8.5 years in the Marines. I will be doing the same with wounded warriors next year (or sooner)
  11. Cornbread82

Oddometer:
    Cool man thank you!!! I would like to do this again next year but try and make it bigger if I can, I want to start a non-profit Race For The Wounded and try and help wounded guys get into racing, bikes, quads, trucks whatever we can. I know a bunch of guys are gearheads, and if we can help them get going in racing that would be cool. If I can get the 501 started in time that will be great but you have to get state, then federal approved and that takes about a year.

Thanks for the support Devil Dog!!!
  12. Goggles Pizano

Goggles Pizano I'll B right back,promise

Oddometer:
    Just came across your thread, donation and T-shirt order coming shortly.

You had asked for some Baja knowledge..... have you considered using a hired pit crew?

I did run the B1K in 2006 solo, point to point and had full pit service every 60 miles, they had all my spare parts ,fuel, mechanics and tools.My pit crew had a tough time staying up to me with all the race traffic and being very tired aswell, glad i had hired a crew.

Best mod to my 2005 CRF450X was installing the R cams and air box mod. Get a light exhaust can, Ti.
    Ran stock suspension, soft like a Cadilac.
    14/45 gearing, it is usually a fast pace
    Only a couple bikes will not be passed by the Trophy Trucks,

This is awesome! Go for it!

Bueno Suerte, hope to see you down there.
    Scott
  13. Cornbread82

Oddometer:
    Scott,

We have a pit crew that have just about all raced the Baja, not pros but they have been racing and pitting in Baja for a long long time. It depends on the route if we are going to need to use a pit service or not we will just have to see when they put it out.

I havent changed the pipe or airbox, I am thinking of keeping it stock just for the reliability of it. I know the bike is more then fast enough for three of us. Allan might want it faster, I don't know what gearing yet, but I am sure that I will have a good idea after the pre ride next month on what I want to use.

Thank you for the support!

Brett
  14. Bronco Driver

Bronco Driver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Scott,
    You are correct on the gearing and air box mod.We are going to leave the motor stock(it makes good usable power stock).
    The biggest mod will be the suspension and Alex at Konflict Motorsports is handling that.
    As far as the pipe goes I will modify it if we can't get a sponsor to provide us one..............OR
    Anyone have a 450F stock take off pipe they would like to donate?
  15. Cornbread82

Oddometer:
    Got my MRI back today and it is good news:clap no need to cut on my just going to be doing some physical therapy. So it is all looking good for the pre ride!!! I also ordered a EVS shoulder brace, has anyone used this and how way it??
  16. AirborneAndy

AirborneAndy Vagabond

Oddometer:

That's great news Brett. :clap Wish I could go with you guys on the August ride but Im wandering about the country visiting family and wont be back by then. But, I will be there for the pre-running in November and chase duties during the race.
  17. Cornbread82

Oddometer:
    That is cool Andy, I know how you are never in one place over about 5 min :rofl I have my nephew's at the house right now and took the oldest to the gym today!! He went to the 1 week thing they have a West Point this summer, it has always been his dream to go. Everything is looking good for him to get in, he has one more year of high school I hope that everything works out for him. At the WP camp he did good but he needs to get better at running so I put the screws to him this morning and did some intervals to teach him how to train on his speed. It was nice made me feel like I was a 1SG again having a 17 year old getting smoked by a old man:lol3 I just love that feeling!!!

We will see you in Nov. and have a good ride, if you make it to Ga. let me know, you always have a place to crash!!

Brett
  18. LC Garage

LC Garage On Any Sunday Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome news! Please give us a review of the brace, it looks like it might be really helpful for a bum shoulder. Take care, go fast but be safe! :D
  19. Cornbread82

Oddometer:
    Got it in the mail today and it feels like it might do the trick but I will give you a full report after a ride with it.
  20. azcagiva

azcagiva new orange flavor

Oddometer:
    So, you guys ready for the trip out west?

Gonna be hot.

-John