Is the BMW LED Canbus brake light worth the $?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Izzy3, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Izzy3

Izzy3 Freak of Unnature

Oddometer:
    I like easy so plug and play means a lot to me. Looking for a little more "hey I'm braking up here on I-95" and want an easy to install, but effective alert to the butt riding tools on I-95.

Is the BMW part work the extra coin compared to a Hyperlite or other application? I don't want Canbus issues or soldering work.

Thanks.
  2. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    Doesn't your '12 already have an LED tail/brake light? I thought those started as standard equipment in 2008.
  3. LaurelPerryOnLand

LaurelPerryOnLand Long timer

Oddometer:
    1. No. Not for my money.
    2. Hyperlites 16 LED version will provide PLENTY of reward visibility without CANBUS issues or a trip to the BMW dealer to have a "software change to LED". Just get the Hyperlites and be done with it.
    3. Soldering isn't rocket science....learn it...you'll have a new capability that can/will serve you well.

http://www.hyperlites.com/moddf.html
  4. Izzy3

Izzy3 Freak of Unnature

Oddometer:
    I want more visibility and and the "I'm braking flash feature" in the aftermarket systems.
  5. Izzy3

Izzy3 Freak of Unnature

Oddometer:
    I can solder, I just don't want to crack into the wiring if I don't need to do so. I was not aware of a trip to the BMW dealer because I added a BMW LED tailite.
  6. lkchris

lkchris Albuquerque

Oddometer:
    The BMW light comes with ZERO for instructions.

I think you can find how to install one on the MOA website somewhere.

The BMW light is on always as a taillight and when you first hit the brake it flashes very quickly for maybe two flashes and then is constant and a little brighter than normal. It's almost as if it flickers. It's not a big show for sure.

No, the R1200RT has never had an LED taillight.
  7. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    A more effective brake / running like would be the P3 lights, easy install, and much brighter than the bmw light:

www.skenedesign.com
  8. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:
    The BMW LED tail lamp assembly is the same exact unit that you already have on your bike (assuming its a 2012 model) the kit is designed for the 4-07 models..
  9. Steiney

Steiney Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the Skeen P3 LED's on the rear - highly visible during riding and braking. What appealed to me is the way they oscillate, they really grab your attention...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  10. TuefelHunden

TuefelHunden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. SR1

SR1 We gotta get outta this place!

Oddometer:
    Ain't that the truth. But the OP prizes convenience over money, so let him go.

Me, I'm an egg breaker. (and I am hoping that the OP looks around and sees that most GS owners are "egg breakers" and learns how to do it himself too)
  12. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking about making a red LED panel shaped like a octagonal stop sign with a fabric base and velcro that I can attach to the various jackets that I wear when riding that plugs into a yet-to-be installed connector in parallel with the tailight. LEDs are very easy work with and somewhat forgiving. The circuit is merely resistors, LEDs and wires that can be sewn or glued to a piece of heavy ballistic fabric.

Tap the brakes and a red stop sign lights up on your back leaving no doubt that your brakes are applied. Remember the Electric Horseman?

Then, amber turn signal arrows flanking the octagonal stop sign...now you've got some serious rear signaling going on, the current draw is very low and the wiring is simple.
  13. Izzy3

Izzy3 Freak of Unnature

Oddometer:
    As a farmboy from Kentucky, I've broken many eggs and done without for most of my life. It's the "time or money" tradeoff now.

If I can find a 10 minute plug and play I'll pay a little more. Otherwise I'll break out the soldering iron and the butane torch.
  14. Izzy3

Izzy3 Freak of Unnature

Oddometer:
    The catalog lists it as an additional tail lamp which fixes at the bottom of the the license plate frame. My current tail light (OEM) doesn't flash, is above the license plate and is smallish to say the least.

WTF?
  15. SR1

SR1 We gotta get outta this place!

Oddometer:
    I can afford to do the same, but it's still throwing my money away. Keep going that way with that new GSA of yours and you'll soon double it's cost. I am buying a 2013 Jeep Unlimited Sahara, paid off 100%. I will still do my own work to it.

FYI, you are probably going to want to put other accessories on your GSA, and for that you'll need a fuse block anyway...which could power a different LED brake light...
  16. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    +1

They're much brighter than the hyperlites and don't require soldering.
  17. Izzy3

Izzy3 Freak of Unnature

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input.
  18. rgb2cmyk

rgb2cmyk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +2

I have the P3s on the back and photonblasters on the front (orange) an they are worth their weight in gold on I95 in NJ.

I know they work because my GSA has them and my S doesn't and I see the way traffic behaves around me.

And lest you think the difference is a two wheeled hummer baring down on them, I haven't had time to install them on my new GSA and I see the difference.

The oscillating is why my brother calls them 'annoying lights', because they always catch your eye.
  19. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:
    You're talking about the "Supplemental Brake Light".
    At $170 with the wire harness its pricey, but works great.
    As for an additional "supplemental" brake light there are dozens of other options and you need not worry about the CANBUS as it's a load sensor withing the ZFE that triggers the LAMP Out error and that is already set to LED on 2008 and newer models.
  20. gspdbill

gspdbill noobie allover again

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this info, just ordered the 16's last night, make sure they send you your commission check... :D

I've had various HyperLight setups on my bikes for the last 10+ yrs., never had an issue with them. This will be the first CANBus install though.