NY motorcyclists vs. SUV Merged Threadfest

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by shipwrek12001, Sep 30, 2013.

1. cliffy109

cliffy109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    As for the unlocked RR, a lot of vehicles have a "feature" that unlocks the doors when the transmission is shifted into Park. I suspect that is why the thugs were able to open the door on the freeway.
  2. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    Where were the Cops????

Those bikers should have been prevented from terrorizing the streets like this. They could have been corralled and detained In mass. I'm sure the Patriot Act empowers cops to control groups with whatever means necessary.

Too bad this didn't take place in DC. The military would have pounded those thugs. :lol3
  3. waveydavey

waveydavey happy times!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping that people in cars will start giving us motorcyclists a lot more space and respect on the road because of incidents like this. Fear is a good motivator. :deal
  4. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    The police were deployed to keep them out of Times Square.
  5. JDK111

JDK111 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think you're exactly wrong. That group of bikers painted targets on the backs of every group of bikers that ride together..... and 'more respect'???
  6. Vankaye

Vankaye n00b on the move

Oddometer:
    Sad sad incident. That said, regarding the paralyzed young man, anybody who stops their vehicle in the travel lane of a highway for the purpose of participating in road rage has put themselves at a very very large risk for death or injury.
  7. HanzoSteel

HanzoSteel n00bish

Oddometer:
    More space and respect? I don't know where you live but for the most part people in cars respect most bikers, it's only a few that don't.
  8. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Screwing with people in any way while riding a motorcycle is stupid. It does not matter if they are driving a car, truck, suv, or on a bike, or bicycle, or walking etc. It is NEVER necessary to mess with people for ANY reason. It accomplishes nothing positive. Doing so only brings ire towards all in the motorcycling community. This results in trail closings, anti-MC legislation, etc. If you can't ride nice, don't ride at all.
  9. DougFromKentucky

DougFromKentucky Just a good 'ole boy

Oddometer:
    I have watched the video including video of bikes going over and riding against traffic in the wrong lane on surface streets. I have seen the lack of license plates and the presence of motorcycles that cannot be ridden on the street legally. This looks to me as a bunch of out of control people on motorcycles.

The person who "brake checks" the SUV is just plain stupid. Now these motorcyclists (I hate using that word here) are demanding revenge.

This all is a great example of why I do not participate even in organized rides, why I am uncomfortable in any group of more than 1 or 2 friends riding along with me. It seems to me that the more people that are present on a ride, the stupider everyone gets.

I do have compassion for the SUV driver and his family. I do have compassion for the motorcyclists injured that day. It was possible that the SUV driver panicked and did something he will think about for the rest of his life. The injured motorcyclists, they will regret this for a long time. One of them will regret this for the rest of his life if the reports of him being a paraplegic are true.

I hope that this "group" of "stunters" stop this behavior. I don't expect that they will, but I do hope they do.

Namaste'
    Doug in Kentucky
  10. cliffy109

cliffy109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really think the mother and wife of the injured rider need to very carefully consider how they approach this. The FB page dedicated to the guy calls for prosecution of the SUV driver.

The page also points out that he has two children, aged 9 and 15. Their father is now paralyzed and may not survive. What lesson will those kids learn from this?

What they should learn is that there are consequences for every action. Let's assume the mother and wife are totally correct and their beloved man was simply stopping to help a downed biker. Let's assume for a moment that he wasn't getting off his bike and coming toward the Range Rover in a menacing manner. Let's even pretend that he broke no laws on the road and was on a legal bike with tags and was not "stunting" up and down the road. Let's pretend he was just part of a group ride.

The fact still remains that he was riding with some VERY dangerous thugs who clearly were threatening the life of the Rover driver. They slashed his tires and hit his truck with their helmets. They put a lot of lives in jeopardy by surrounding the Rover. The Rover driver did the only thing reasonable and that was to escape.

The lesson for the kids is to be careful with whom you associate. Don't ride with thugs because your life could quickly end due to things beyond your control.

Of course, if the injured rider was a thug himself and not so innocent as his mother thinks, the lesson is: Live like a thug and you'll die like a thug and nobody except thugs will have any sympathy.

If mom and wife don't teach this lesson, the kids are doomed to a life of thuggery and a lack of understanding of choices and consequences.
  11. echo15

echo15 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Young men in groups are like dogs in a pack; sweet little Fifi when in a pack of other dogs will gladly bring down a deer, kill neighborhood cats, even attack a child. We guys (yes, I am including myself) loose about 40 IQ points when in a group... and can get more aggressive.
  12. LaOutbackTrail

LaOutbackTrail Certified Smartass

Oddometer:
    This whole situation pisses me right the fk off! I certainly side with the driver and would have probably taken out a few more when on the hwy. This has my blood boiling today.

This puts icing on the cake for me...
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Justice-For-Jay-Meezee/411664345601619

Fkng douche bag criminal thugs with a criminal mindset! "It wasn't me, it was the one armed man!" Blame it on their victim to try and get away with it. The videos that were posted of the situation just shows their intent and absolute disregard to public peace and safety.

Many of you have already spoken my thoughts in a more eloquent manner, so I'll just use this opportunity to vent a little.

Also worth noting, its a good thing that this didn't happen in Texas.
  13. Sikorsky

Sikorsky That guy

Oddometer:
    I see the FB page has +17,000 "likes". I can't tell if the likes are to support the poor, unlicensed rider engaged in highly illegal activities while wearing a Nazi helmet; or a thumbs up that the guy got what he deserved.
  14. scooterspirit

scooterspirit DaddyGeneralSir

Oddometer:
    This is what happens in a victim disarmament zone. Gangs are a problem whenever the populace is disarmed.
    The cops aren't there to protect you. An armed society is a polite society.
  15. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    OK, can I give you one fact that might temper these assumptions? The guy has been arrested for motor vehicle offenses 16 times - and doesn't have a license. Most recently in May: "At 1:48 p.m., Edwin Mieses Jr., 32, of 478 Riverside Drive, Lawrence, was arrested on Haverhill Street and charged with operating a motor vehicle with a revoked license, subsequent offense."

He's been arrested for other reasons as well. This is not someone who is living the life of a law-abiding citizen.
  16. LaOutbackTrail

LaOutbackTrail Certified Smartass

Oddometer:
    Exactly my notion when mentioning Texas.
  17. scooterspirit

scooterspirit DaddyGeneralSir

Oddometer:
    Don't mess with a man in his castle, God bless Texas
    Maybe, even some other concerned people, would have helped him out.
  18. Handy

Handy Sunburnt

Oddometer:
    Ummm, have you seen Get the Gringo? Mel may be an anti-semite alcoholic lunatic but he still making some pretty good movies.:deal
  19. Montague

Montague UDF Adventurer

Oddometer:
    an alternate universe, much better than yours
    I stand to be corrected, but only after I see it.

Apocalypto or whatever that disaster was called put me off, but hey, Mad Max was good enough to give him another chance.

Lunatics abound in Hollywood.
  20. marca

marca Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is one of the reasons why high capacity magazines are necessary and yet another reason to stay far away from the loonies in NYC.